Graphics

Also they said something about showing the mood of units? And I'm not sure why that's important to gameplay yet.

...Leaving aside any sort of judgement on that as a mechanic (though it suggests that we might have dynamic revolts; where did you see that, in curiosity?), surely that would be another point in favor of larger units, not brighter colors?

I was so hyped after seeing the poster; but then i saw the first screenshot and thought to myself "there has to be a mistake here", sadly there was no mistake and the artstyle looks disappointing at best
My first thought when I saw them was that this was some kind of joke or prank.
I just don't know.
If someone reads me off what Civ VI has to offer, my reaction is nothing short of a massive adrenaline burst you can't even get from being shot at. It sounds amazing, from what they've said they'll be doing, and if the game had all this with a graphics style similar to something like what Civ V had, I would throw money at them even if the price was north of $50.
However, every time i see the screenshots, even the full resolution ones, my reaction is nothing short to repulsion. That's the only word i can think off. it just ends up being a major turn-off. I don't even play Civ V with a very high graphics setting, but i'd take that art style over this one any day.
Agreed. Civ 6 graphics = <snip>.

Moderator Action: Inappropriate content snipped.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I think this sums the matter up perfectly; every previous Civ game has made at least some attempt at realism, even if limited by technology and certainly willing to prioritize gameplay. But Civ VI throws all of that out the window in favor of Civ Rev-style graphics for no good reason.

EDIT: Er, no, the Civ VI trees don't look like those in Civ V, but compare their color saturation levels between the Civ VI and Civ IV screenshots. Also, though I acknowledge that the brightness levels are similar between Civ VI and Civ IV, the textures (notably on the desert tiles) are fairly obviously different.
Civ 3 looks better than Civ 6, despite being 2D and 15 years older.
Eh? The ostensible reasons for the graphics are that they wanted an engine that permitted unit diversity (confirmed possible and actually interesting with Civ V's graphics - see the R.E.D Modpack), that looked good when zoomed all the way out (I can get that as why we have large units and buildings, neither of which bother me, but why does that need a Disney color scheme?), and that let them run a day-night cycle (again, that's why we get the mobile game graphics?)

So no, there's no real reason for this type of graphics, unless it's an effort to attract mobile gamers. Meh.
Yayyy! Let's make a game to attract morons who play in 10 minute chunks while sitting on the toilet! What could possibly go wrong?

...Leaving aside any sort of judgement on that as a mechanic (though it suggests that we might have dynamic revolts; where did you see that, in curiosity?), surely that would be another point in favor of larger units, not brighter colors?

On second reading, I'm thinking that it might refer to the leaders and not the units.. this is from the article on The Verge..

According to Shirk, though, the graphical changes aren’t purely cosmetic, they're functional as well. For instance, the AI characters are now more expressive, with more animation, making it easier to judge their mood and mindset just by looking at them.

If its the leaders, it makes it sound like its more of the CivRev style, and makes it sound like they had cartoony in mind from the start.

Anyway, I'm still holding to my view that the new style isn't that clear or readable from a distance, either, but for different reasons. People will still need the UI overlays etc.

Eh? The ostensible reasons for the graphics are that they wanted an engine that permitted unit diversity (confirmed possible and actually interesting with Civ V's graphics - see the R.E.D Modpack), that looked good when zoomed all the way out (I can get that as why we have large units and buildings, neither of which bother me, but why does that need a Disney color scheme?), and that let them run a day-night cycle (again, that's why we get the mobile game graphics?)

So no, there's no real reason for this type of graphics, unless it's an effort to attract mobile gamers. Meh.

Maybe, but I don't think it's the right time to start jumping to too many conclusions about their intentions. I'm as skeptical as anyone though, I thought Civ BE was absolute garbage and there's no way I'll be making the mistake of pre-ordering again.

That said, in this specific case, I don't think mobile games have a monopoly on this kind of art style, and neither should we dismiss a game out of hand for happening to have a style we tend to associate with Dota 2 or HotS or Clash of Clans or AoE Online, etc.

That said, in this specific case, I don't think mobile games have a monopoly on this kind of art style, and neither should we dismiss a game out of hand for happening to have a style we tend to associate with Dota 2 or HotS or Clash of Clans or AoE Online, etc.

I believe that mobile and tablet games use cartoony graphics because they are not very demanding in regards to video card.

Mobiles and tablets can't run Civ 5 because realistic graphics require a variety of special effects such as shadow, shader, anti-alias, bloom and so on.

But when simplistic cartoony graphics are used then there is no need for all these special effects.

So I believe that Firaxis intends to introduce Civ 6 to tablets and it will be the same game as for the PC with the same engine.
That is the most logical explanation I can think of for them choosing these cartoony graphics.

That may also suggest that Civ 6 gameplay is going to be more simplistic in order to appeal to the masses.
That won't go well with hardcore fans of the Civ series.

Maybe. It's also possible they're trying to cut down on loading times and address that issue where Civ 5 was constantly having to re-render the map.

A simpler aesthetic might also make the game less demanding for the sake of supporting more civilizations on a single map.

At this point it's all speculation, but I really hope you're wrong and they're not just simplifying it to make it more adaptable to mobile devices.

I'm gunna go out on a limb here and say if they can make the kind of gameplay promises they have AND make it mobile compatible, I will love them forever.

Mobile games are terrible arm, but that doesn't mean they have to be. And civ series being turned based makes it perfect for the platform.

Chuck in cloud storage between mobiles and PCs so you can keep your save games going on the move, and then I think you're all literally insane for not wanting mobile compatibility.

I'm gunna go out on a limb here and say if they can make the kind of gameplay promises they have AND make it mobile compatible, I will love them forever.

Mobile games are terrible arm, but that doesn't mean they have to be. And civ series being turned based makes it perfect for the platform.

Chuck in cloud storage between mobiles and PCs so you can keep your save games going on the move, and then I think you're all literally insane for not wanting mobile compatibility.

There is nothing wrong with a Civ 6 game for tablets.
But it shouldn't be on the expanse of the PC version of the game.

We should have realistic graphics for the PC just like Civ 5 and different graphics (cartoony if they like) for tablets.

Ditto. It'd be a huge accomplishment if they could make a game comparable to Civ V that works well with both a tablet and mouse interface. I feel like I remember someone at Firaxis saying they wished they looked into mobile compatibility for Civ V sooner. No idea where I heard that (I could even be thinking of another franchise), but I think the touch-based Windows 8 interface was an attempt in that direction.

I have a Surface Pro and tried Civ V on that, but gave up when my computer overheated and shut down because I accidentally hit the home button . . the controls were a little frustrating anyway. But without those problems, I'd totally have played Civ V on a tablet. And I doubt I'd spontaneously become dumber or younger because of it either.

Right, but I'm just trying to understand why. When people say it's a departure from Civ, it seems like what they really mean is Civ 5.

Because Civ has never had a consistent approach to art direction or style.

Spoiler :

Now, when I look at it, all 3 previous games look nice. While distinct in style, each is executed well.

But Civ6 is a mess. Bad color saturation, scaling, actual mobile game cartoon look (see lack of any terrain textures, unlike any of the previous games).

Maybe. My impression was similar, but it could also be that we're unfairly associating what could be a sensible choice given the gameplay mechanics with something we usually attribute to mobile games. At this point, I'd say we just don't know enough and so you have wildly varying opinions. Some say it's too detailed, others say not enough. Some say it looks too clean, others like you say it's a mess.

Now, when I look at it, all 3 previous games look nice. While distinct in style, each is executed well.

But Civ6 is a mess. Bad color saturation, scaling, actual mobile game cartoon look (see lack of any terrain textures, unlike any of the previous games).
I don't know what you think "terrain textures" are but that screenshot definitely has them.

Also I'm starting to think that the cry of "too saturated" has just been shouted enough times to become a self-reinforcing belief at this point. It doesn't actually mean anything. Everyone has subjective personal limits on what they consider too colourful, or too bland.

Given that the screenshots of the earlier Civilisation games literally melt faces with regards to their contrast, I just find it rather silly that people are choosing to focus their critique on CiVI to the exclusion of all else.

It's rose giant units and the cities spread out over 6 tiles that are killing me. Ok they want thrm to be easily visible for you to get lots of info from them. I get its. I'd just rather have an icon or a hover over tool tip thst told me everything I wanted to know about them personally. I thought civ v units and icons worked very well.

I don't know what you think "terrain textures" are but that screenshot definitely has them.

Also I'm starting to think that the cry of "too saturated" has just been shouted enough times to become a self-reinforcing belief at this point. It doesn't actually mean anything. Everyone has subjective personal limits on what they consider too colourful, or too bland.

Given that the screenshots of the earlier Civilisation games literally melt faces with regards to their contrast, I just find it rather silly that people are choosing to focus their critique on CiVI to the exclusion of all else.

Too saturated is the new vocal fry? ;-)

Because the objects in the Civ 6 screen shots, i.e. the buildings, trees, units, look like toys or illustrations for children? Because the coloring isn't natural and doesn't look like earth, but a bright, shiny and artificial candy land?

At this point, I'd say we just don't know enough and so you have wildly varying opinions. Some say it's too detailed, others say not enough. Some say it looks too clean, others like you say it's a mess.
The visuals tell us a lot, which is obvious, as you can see many features of the game map -- units, buildings, terrain, wonders, the garishly bright blue ocean. The art style is clear and highly detailed but in a very un-natural way. When people say it looks like a mess, they mean it looks bad, not a literal mess. The look is very, very tidy. I know you're trying to be even-handed but it's beginning to sound a bit disingenuous. I mean the pictures are right there.

Now this is a next gen 2016 map
This is what I was hoping for Civ 6, at least.

FINALLY some realistic orcs and wizards! :rolleyes:

Would you like Civ 6 to have Total War -level strategy too? Repetive and shallow? I know I don't.

The TW games always look very good, but sometimes the preview images and videos are a bit doctored example: Rome II Total War teasers.

Mm, for example. Look at the ship models of the older versions. They look atleast somewhat realistic. The ship next to the lighthouse on the new version... How can that ship even float? With a cartoonish design like that, that ship would have tipped over faster than the Vasa-ship.

Things like that really ruins the game experience somewhat...

Top Bottom