Great Wonders Elimination Thread

A-SRS +1
I did not expect resurection, but if it happened, time to give some love.
This is that wonder you save Gustave Eiffel for, so you can build it in 3 turns. Saves a lot of late game or allows jumping ahead of any AI, if AIs are already at their projects. If you don't like the scheme 150 turns to speceports, another 100 to end game, this wonder is just for you.

Harder with downvote. The only garbage tier wonder left is Angkor Wat, but I already downvoted it. I would go with Hagia Sophia. +1 spread is basically useful in religious victory but it really does not make it much easier. You win RV either by theo battles or by missionaries spam before HS is even constructed. +4 faith is a joke (bow to mighty Jabel!)
H. Sophia -3

Alhambra [9]
Amundsen-Scott Research Station [9]
Angkor Wat [2]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [17]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [15]
Casa de Contratación [11]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [15]
Colossus [6]
Cristo Redentor [17]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City [17]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [14]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [8]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mausoleum at Halicarnassus [22]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [13]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [12]
St. Basil's Cathedral [16]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [19]
Terracotta Army [18]
University of Sankore [13]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

To address an earlier comment, the reason it matters when the AI typically builds the wonder is because Civ is a game about opportunity costs. If an ancient/classical wonder typically goes by T40, that means you have to invest early, hard-to-come-by hammers in order to secure that wonder, which you typically need for other things like military and settlers. This is, in effect, an inherent downside to any wonder because you're missing out on the other things you could be building. If, on the other hand, an ancient/classical wonder typically goes at T80, hammers are more plentiful because you've been able to build up your empire, can work more and better tiles, and have better policy cards. The Great Bath, for example, requires you to start with pottery (rather than revealing horses), build a builder to use three chops on the wonder (foregoing military, settlers and monuments) and then if you manage to secure this (not guaranteed), you're left with a wonder that generates long term faith, gives you +3 housing and acts as a dam. This is a terrible start and I would much rather have a few military units and a settler at T25 than the Great Bath. If, counterfactually, you could build the Great Bath at T40-45, it would be much less terrible because you could establish a foundation with a second city, a few military units and a monument before having to build the wonder.

In a similar vein, another reason it matters when the AI builds the wonder is that you may have to change your tech path in a sub-optimal way to build the chosen wonder. The most notable example of this is Machu Pichu. In my experience, beelining engineering, which is absolutely necessary to secure Machu Pichu, hurts the rest of your game. You're not going to attack somebody with just catapults (which don't have a bonus production card and are too squishy), catapults are not great on the defense, and you're not going to have time to build catapults because you're building Machu Pichu. And, if you're not going to attack somebody or use the units to defend, your choice to beeline a military tech to secure a wonder hurts your infrastructure game. Thus, you're sacrificing quite a lot to build Machu Pichu.

Alhambra [9]
Angkor Wat [2]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [17]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [15]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [15]
Colossus [6]
Cristo Redentor [17]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City [18] (17+1) A free wild card policy slot is very flexible.
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [14]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [5] (8-3) If the map has a lot of mountains, the AI will build this before you unlock engineering. If the map doesn't have a lot of mountains, the wonder doesn't do anything for you. While it's a nice wonder to conquer, the problem is that you've already planned your original cities out before you conquer it. I could see this being situationally amazing if you see your neighbor build it and then immediately conquer them.
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [13]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [12]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [19]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Alhambra [9]
Angkor Wat [2]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [17]-------------------------------> +1 (18) Economic slots are the second best category in the game. The extra money is just gravy.
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [15]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [15]
Colossus [6]
Cristo Redentor [17]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City (18)
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [14]---------------> -3 (11) Totally unnecessary. I don't think I've ever built it.
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu (5)
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [13]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [12]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [19]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Alhambra [9]
Amundsen-Scott Research Station [10] Grateful for all the revival attempts of this Wonder. People downvoted it to 3 points for no reason even back when Sydney Opera House was still available. Late settlement on tundra and snow is very much a thing now, no reason to stop settling completely after classical/medieval. Eiffel + trade routes + Reyna/Moksha to build the campus = a lot of science + production empire wide.
Angkor Wat [2]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [15]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [15]
Colossus [6]
Cristo Redentor [17]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City (18)
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [11]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2] 80% of my games are on Immortal and 20% are on deity, never once did I even attempt to build this Wonder, as it is always gone even before I start researching Engineering. And to be honest, is it even that great? Extra gold for com. hubs is close to meaningless when you compare it to production and culture, industrial zone is extremely easy to get high adjacency bonuses (+4 and above) that do not even require map generation RNG, so all in all, the only meaningful district that this Wonder helps is the Theater Square. And even then you don't even guarantee to have that many mountains to actually make a worthwhile amount of culture.
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [13]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [12]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [19]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

EDITED: Fixed the GZ and BB's scores. Should be up to date now.

Last edited:
Jebel Barkar is a fantastic wonder, better than some of the other wonders on this list... gone too soon

Alhambra [9]
Amundsen-Scott Research Station [10]
Angkor Wat [2]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [12] (15 - 3)
Surprised no one downvoted broadway. IMO should be the next to go
Let's analyse why broadway is bad;
Firstly mediocre effect. 20% culture is lackluster at this stage of the civics tree i.e. late modern era.
In contrast to Oxford University which unlocks mid to late industrial era and Kilwa, Broadway is should be doing much more at this stage of the game to
accelerate a culture victory or defending against a culture victory.
Secondly, high production cost. By the time you have finished building this wonder, you would have completed researching all atomic era civics (which thus makes the civics boost effect redundant),
and if you are going for a culture victory, you would have unlocked all key civics and policies that givse you massive tourism.
Thirdly, a boost to an era specific civic is relatively weak if you compare it to Bolshoi's two free civics which can speed up achieving the ideology civic or expensive civics in the next era like globalisation or social media.

Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [15]
Colossus [6]
Cristo Redentor [17]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City (18)
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [11]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [14] (13 + 1)
Where the Potala palace shines is the late game civics where diplomacy slots are very valuable due to +5% science/culture for each suzerain cards, the double envoy cards, and last but not least, the counter spy cards.
Lastly, the Potala palace gives +1 DVP which is I think is essential for optimal DV play.

Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [12]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [19]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Angkor Wat [2-3]. My previous downvotes have all been challenged, so I'm somewhat at a loss where to go now. I don't think it's too controversial to eliminate Angkor Wat. Extra housing is always nice: cf. the success of Cahokia in the city-state elimination thread. But as someone said previously, extra population to all your cities at the same time can result in some unexpected amenity issues.

Cristo Redentor [18] (17+1). I trust the Ruhr Valley fetish is only a phase, so I'm not going to upvote again. Instead, I'll send my vote to Cristo Redentor, since I think it's actually more useful than Eiffel Tower which is ahead on 20. Nine out of ten times when I play culture, I beeline the top half of the tech tree to get Radio. So by the time I've come back round to Steel to get Eiffel Tower, I'm on the brink of winning anyway. But Cristo is handily located right in the middle of the civics tree, so I can always pick it up and still receive the hefty advantages (ie. double strength Seaside Resorts). Now, it's not necessarily an either/or, and if you're doing well enough in science you can get all three of Radio, Eiffel, and Cristo; but I often only make it to Radio and Cristo before winning.

Alhambra [9]
Angkor Wat [2-3] (ELIMINATED)
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [12]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [15]
Colossus [6]
Cristo Redentor [18] (17+1)
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City (18)
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [11]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [14]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [12]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [19]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Alhambra [9-3=6]. I don't find much use for this wonder at this level of the elimination thread. If I'm going Domination, I can see the value of the extra Military Slot, but I've never run out of slots for Military Cards. The only one which I find myself running forever are the pillage and -gold maintenance per turn cards; the rest you switch in to build/upgrade units, and then switch out.
Veterancy and Limes are kinda cool. As is the +accumulation of resources on a map with scarcity, but if I'm going to be winning territory anyways...

Colosseum [15+1=16]. I usually find that I can delay building this wonder, as in my experience the AI doesn't prioritise it too much (I'm a mostly Emperor player). This makes it cheaper for me. If I want it on Deity, I find that I can still build it 7 times out of 10.
Bonuses on their own are really nice, and given they kick in early they can boost your snowball/catch-up

Alhambra [6]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [12]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Colossus [6]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City (18)
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [11]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [14]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [12]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [19]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Downvote: Alhambra (6 - 3 = 3)
2 Amenities? Meh.
1 Great General Point? Meh.
1 Red Policy Slot? Not quite so meh depending on choice of Govt. But if you're going DV you're probably going with a Govt with plenty of Red slots already.
Provides defensive bonus same as a fort. Next to an encampment? Useless.

Upvote: Forbidden City (18 + 1 = 19)
Extra Culture... useful.
Extra wildcard slot? Super useful.

Alhambra [3]

Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [12]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Colossus [6]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [11]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [14]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [12]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [19]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Great Zimbabwe [8] [11-3] Very difficult to place, arrives relatively late, requires you to relocate your trade routes to one city, and only worth it if that city has *lots* of bonus resources (which, obviously, you can't harvest). Some very niche use-cases but, overall, not spectacular.

Ruhr Valley [13] [12+1] I genuinely don't want this to become a petty back-and-forth, so I'll limit to one final point. The basic contention seems to be that Ruhr Valley arrives too late to make the production investment (1240 hammers) worthwhile for a science victory, because – apparently – the normal player achieves a science victory very soon afterwards. I profoundly disagree with this last argument: but even if we assume it *is* true, then the same principle *has* to be extended to several other wonders. Oxford University? Arrives same time as Ruhr, and is just as expensive. Big Ben? Arrives slightly later, and is even more expensive (1450 hammers). Amundsen-Scott? Arrives *much* later than Ruhr, and is significantly more expensive (1620 hammers). So why the hate for Ruhr specifically? It is no harder to position than Oxford or Big Ben, and much easier to build than Amundsen-Scott; and it is unlocked on a much more important technology (Industrialization) than any of the other three candidates (Scientific Theory, Economics, and the Rapid Deployment civic respectively), meaning you're more likely to finish it before the other three and, therefore, get some use out of it. If you want to %^&* on Ruhr Valley, then fine, go ahead – but your argument collapses unless you simultaneously also %^&* on Oxford University, Big Ben, and Amundsen-Scott, to name just three.

Alhambra [3]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [12]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Colossus [6]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [8] (11-3)
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [14]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [13] (12+1)
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [19]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Alhambra [4] 3+1 : It's best use is ironically in non-domination games when you are running governments with few military slots. Comes much earlier than many of the wonders on this list which are win more or just too late to be effective.

Broadway [9] 12-3 : Too dear, too late, too little effect for the investment.

Alhambra [4]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [9]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Colossus [6]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [8] (11-3)
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [14]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [13] (12+1)
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [19]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Colossus: not sure why it's still here. If you've got a high production coastal city that has already built its harbour & lighthouse, then okay build the Colossus and get another trade route. But its not worth beelining or prioritising in the slightest. A trader is a trader.

Ruhr Valley: just to signal my agreement with @TCBB. It's weird to focus so strongely on Ruhr valley when we have loads of objectively worse wonders remaining. In particular, I have to point out yet again (I've done it on every elimination thread) that not everyone is a god-tier master of the game. Turn 150 science victories are not normal: my bet is that most 'normal' deity players get there around turn 275. So it's strange to insist that Ruhr is irrelevant for science victory. Like – okay we get it, you're reeeeally good and you don't need one of the strongest wonders in the game to help you get your science victory. But normal players DO need help, and Ruhr is one of the best wonders for that, right up there with Oracle or Pyramids or Oxford.

Alhambra [4]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [9]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Colossus [3] (6-3)
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [8]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [14]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [14] (13+1)
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [19]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

When the stars align a Temple of Artemis start can be a really fun intro to a culture game. Shouldn't be a winner but throwing some love to one of my favourite wonders.

Colossus
on the other hand is in the same boat as its already eliminated sister the Great Lighthouse. Awkward placement rules and not overwhelmingly awesome.

As an aside for a wonder that will be eliminated soon... I wish the AI didn't prioritize Macchu Picchu so heavily. It's a wonder that can totally change up how you approach laying out your empire but you almost never get to use it as the AI pursues it so aggressively it's silly.

Alhambra [4]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [9]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Colossus [ELIMINATED]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [8]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [12]
Potala Palace [14]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [14]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [20]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

-3) Alhambra (4 >> 1) Probably it is time to go for Alhambra. It has quite decent bonuses, especially the extra military card, but as someone pointed out already, not as exciting as the remaining ones in the list. Red cards are the ones with more specific uses and therefore in less need for slots. 2 amenities is not that much, Fort effect is negligible. And GG points just a nice add-on.

+1) Petra (12 >> 13) Mad it is already at 12 it being the most impactful "terrain improvement" effect of the set. it is true St. Basils and the Mausoleum may have an edge due to their extra benefits, but difference should not be that big yet.

Alhambra [1]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [9]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [3]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [8]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [13]
Potala Palace [14]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [14]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [20]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Alhambra [1]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [9]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Estádio do Maracanã [0] (3-3) - This is a fun one for sure, but it's arguably the definition of a "win more" wonder - except, it doesn't actually help you achieve any victory condition. It costs a ton of hammers, comes super late, and you can get the same benefits with policy cards. [Eliminated]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [8]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [13]
Potala Palace [15] (14+1) - Potala Palace boosts three separate win conditions. Of course, the biggest benefit applies to diplomatic victory, but the extra diplomacy slot shouldn't be discounted for across the board play. Although you really only need 1 diplo slot until the Renaissance, you can definitely capitalize on an extra slot around this point in the game. I like to retain the envoy boost, and then make use of either Wisselbanken or Machiavellianism. Having better spies and/or alliances is so nice. Of course, if you make it to late game, an extra slot will only increase in utility.
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [14]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [20]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Alhambra [2]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [6]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [8]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [2]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [13]
Potala Palace [15]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [14]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [20]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Alhambra is a fine Wonder. Yes, Military Policy cards are not as useful as other sorts, but a) the fact you have a back-up Military Policy no matter what happens means you have much more flexibility in terms of government choices, and government choices are strong and impactful, and b) there are still a lot of good Military Policy cards, being able to run an extra one is still good. Logistics, the various production cards like particularly Chivalry, Retinues, Conscription, Veterancy - these are all good enough I'm definitely not saying no to another. In addition, there's enough Amenities to add 8 Population, which is 3 Districts, and the Great General points are non-trivial (especially stacked with Oracle).

Broadway
, on the other hand, is terrible. Often by the time I've reached it when gunning for a Cultural Victory, every Great Writer is gone or there's so few left I don't care. Great Musicians are just pointless by that stage, too little tourism with too little modifiers, you want to focus on Rock Bands. The +20% Culture is meaningless because you're right at the end of the Civic tree now anyway and you need Tourism, not Culture. It maybe makes you fractionally faster to Online Communities, but... barely. The single Eureka often cuts off more time than the +20% culture does. You'd be better off putting the same production into Holy Sites to get Rock Bands faster, which is bizarre (and a big reason why I think the Faith and Tourism games need to be disconnected more).

Last edited:
Alhambra [2]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [6]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [5] (8-3) As few others have said, this relies on having a city where you'll have the commercial, cattle and free spot triangle and enough bonus resources to matter, and even then you're sacrificing routes that could've been more useful elsewhere - be it to grow cities internally, or reach more beneficial targets abroad. Colossus has already gone, and that one gives you both the route capacity and the trader, for half the production cost.
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [3] (2+1) It's a massive pain to get on Deity, but very possible to build on Emperor and below (where lots of people play for the more laid back experience), and if you do manage to build it, it can shake up your game well enough to be worth it. Not a min-maxer's choice, but really fun to use if you can grab it.
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [18]
Petra [13]
Potala Palace [15]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [14]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [20]
Terracotta Army [18]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

All in all it's just another brick in the wall

Alhambra [2]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [6]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [5]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [3]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [19] (18+1) I still miss my civ 4 Oxford cities, but still respectable in 6.
Petra [13]
Potala Palace [15]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [14]
Statue of Liberty [17]
Temple of Artemis [20]
Terracotta Army [18]
University of Sankore [10] (13-3) The Sankore Madrasah can be hard to place, and it's benefits are variable and sub optimal.
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Alhambra [2]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [6]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [6] 5+1 Don't dismiss Great Zimbabwe so soon, it's so much more than one more trader ! It invites you to have a major trade hub, in which every trade route, internal or external, will yield 20+ gold easily - more if you play Mali, or with Hunza, it can reach 50+. And you can easily spare 2-3 trade routes or more just for the money, and the effect on relationship or tourism ; besides, if you have allies and Democracy+Wisselbanken, you can have a mega-city, perfect for a spaceport. Some people say its requirements are too much : keep in mind you don't need to improve the cattle, nor even to own the tile, so you can perfectly have a CH on your second ring, the wonder on the third, and let your neighbour have the cattle.
Finally, and it's a major point I never read here : it makes a perfect honeypot for enemy spies. I've always wondered why so many people dismissed neighbourhoods, since I almost never have a recruit partisan mission happening, but then I understood : since I always make a very rich external trade hub, all the spies converge there, to get caught by my counterspy !

Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [3]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [19] (18+1) I still miss my civ 4 Oxford cities, but still respectable in 6.
Petra [13]
Potala Palace [15]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [14]
Statue of Liberty [14] 17-3 A wonder which never found its place in my game. The loyalty effect is not relevant, you can only build this wonder in a productive city, which means it's already developped, and not an outpost on the frontier. I would reconsider if it hade a "Dido effect", +5 loyalty in every city on its continent. like The real reason to build it is to earn diplomatic victory points, which is gamey and quite flavorless, it's just a shortcut.
Temple of Artemis [20]
Terracotta Army [18]
University of Sankore [10]
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Desert wonder showdown:

Alhambra [2]
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [6]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [6]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [3]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Petra [14] (13+1) It may be gimmicky and whatnot, but this is still one of the most fun wonders in the game to build. The pure satisfaction of a beautiful Petra city is still one of the most exciting things in the game imo.
Potala Palace [15]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [14]
Statue of Liberty [14]
Temple of Artemis [20]
Terracotta Army [18]
University of Sankore [7] (10-3) This wonder is thoroughly underwhelming in my opinion, the yields seem horrible the times I've actually build it.
Venetian Arsenal [8]

Alhambra [3] (2+1) It is a card more. Even if it's only a red one.
Apadana [16]
Big Ben [18]
Bolshoi Theatre [17]
Broadway [6]
Chichen Itza [10]
Colosseum [16]
Cristo Redentor [18]
Eiffel Tower [20]
Forbidden City [19]
Great Library [11]
Great Zimbabwe [6]
Hagia Sophia [10]
Kilwa Kisiwani [23]
Machu Picchu [3]
Mahabodhi Temple [19]
Mont St. Michel [16]
Oracle [23]
Országház [12]
Oxford University [19]
Petra [14]
Potala Palace [15]
Pyramids [23]
Ruhr Valley [14]
Statue of Liberty [14]
Temple of Artemis [20]
Terracotta Army [18]
University of Sankore [7]
Venetian Arsenal [5] (8-3) If I play a naval map I find myself already having most of the navy that I need before this thing can be finished.

Top Bottom