Greatest 90s rock band

faith no more kicked ass. they were a half step ahead of some of the initial grunge acts.

in no particular order - alice in chains, soundgarden, pearl jam, nirvana, beasties, smashing pumpkins, jane's addiction, rage, van hagar. there are others i'm surely missing :cool:

Although FNM where the band whose cd i first bought as a teen (KFADFFAL), utlimately i do not really like them anymore. They combined many genres, and the singer has a varying voice, but i prefer something more stable :)

Follow-up to my previous post: Iron Maiden, the second-best rock band of all time, produced Fear of the Dark, their best song, in 1992. Ergo, they are the second best '90s band. All statements to the contrary are ignorant and incorrect.

I can not allow myself to say that the 80's were better then any other decade though. It was almost all reprehensible garbage

The 1980s were the best decade for British metal bands like Iron Maiden, AND the best decade for British synthpop groups like the Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, OMD, Eurythmics, and Tears for Fears. Given that these are two of the three best genres of music in the history of music (the other being symphonoic goth rock with female vocals a la Evanescence, Within Temptation, and Nightwish), it's safe to say that the '80s were the best decade for music, ever.

Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Fail.

Pretty much my sentiments. Is there a single Nirvana song that doesn't have the word "gun" in it?

Come to think of it, did "Smells Like Teen Spirit" have any actual words in it?

Regarding Green Day, their first single opened up "Do you have the time to listen to me whine", and I was like, nope. Moving along...

You can call me crazy, accuse me of liking crappy music, whatever, but I actually like whiny emo/punk songs... Green Day, Offspring, AFI, Relient K, sometimes venturing into "Until the Day I Die" or "I Hate Everything About You" territory.

Having said that, no love for Korn?

No. Korn, Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine, etc. can go to hell.

Nobody's given any props to REM yet? Srsly?

I've spent the past ten years wanting to make a Babylon 5 music video set to "Losing My Religion", and if humanity perishes due to asteroid impact or zombie uprising or whatever, I'd like to die listening to "It's the End of the World as we Know It".

Ace of Base. Pure Class.

Yeah but they weren't rock. They were Europop. This is the '90s ROCK thread. Pay attention.

Chickens are also the dumbest things to ever walk God's green Earth, and spend all of their time repeatedly ramming their heads into the ground. I'm not sure they're really the experts on music.

Nine Inch Nails.
Tool... Metallica

Those don't even qualify as music.

That's news to me. I'm a typical sheltered American. If it wasn't for my love of hockey, I may not even know that Canada is a country.

Dude, the ENTIRE DAMN METAL GENRE was a British creation. Have you never heard of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.? Okay, AC/DC is Australian... big deal... like anyone except Aussies and Brits can tell the difference...

"Closer" the best song made in the 1990s

It's a song? I thought it was just the screamings of some crazy person on the street, mixed with the sounds of a nasty case of diarrhea.

Follow-up to my previous post: Iron Maiden, the second-best rock band of all time, produced Fear of the Dark, their best song, in 1992. Ergo, they are the second best '90s band. All statements to the contrary are ignorant and incorrect.

This post is promising, although Killers is my favorite Maiden album...

The 1980s were the best decade for British metal bands like Iron Maiden, AND the best decade for British synthpop groups like the Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, OMD, Eurythmics, and Tears for Fears. Given that these are two of the three best genres of music in the history of music (the other being symphonoic goth rock with female vocals a la Evanescence, Within Temptation, and Nightwish), it's safe to say that the '80s were the best decade for music, ever.

Honestly can't say I've ever in my life heard Nightwish referred to as a goth metal band, they're pretty much straight ahead symphonic power metal. And they way WAY WAY outclass Within Temptation and Evanescence, what the hell are they even being lumped together for?

No. Korn, Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine, etc. can go to hell.

And again one of these bands is not like the others. Rage Against the Machine, besides being a much better band, is not even remotely similar to Korn, and while I'm not a fan of Korm at all, even they stand head and shoulders above the musical abortion that was Limp Bizkit.

Dude, the ENTIRE DAMN METAL GENRE was a British creation. Have you never heard of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.? Okay, AC/DC is Australian... big deal... like anyone except Aussies and Brits can tell the difference...

Unfortunately, aside from being completely insulting to both Brits AND Aussies, this portion of your post also fails to mention that while metal may have been born in England, it was perfected in the US when Slayer entered the scene :p.

Of course my favorite, My Bloody Valentine, is British, so all love to the Brits.

Nightwish has a goth aesthetic, I wouldn't trip on the categorization. Also, 90s Pet Shop Boys had more good tracks than 80s Pet Shop Boys, even though their 80s music is off the chain.

Also, I am unsettled by the uncanny (though not 100%) overlap of music preferences between me and G-Max :ack:

Honestly can't say I've ever in my life heard Nightwish referred to as a goth metal band, they're pretty much straight ahead symphonic power metal. And they way WAY WAY outclass Within Temptation and Evanescence, what the hell are they even being lumped together for?

I'll agree that Nightwish is a tad different from the others, but only because Nightwish songs range from "crap" to "mind-blowingly awesome", whereas the others are more consistently in the range from "mediocre" to "great, but not mind-blowingly awesome"

And again one of these bands is not like the others. Rage Against the Machine, besides being a much better band, is not even remotely similar to Korn, and while I'm not a fan of Korm at all, even they stand head and shoulders above the musical abortion that was Limp Bizkit.

Sometimes I have runny poops, sometimes I have long snaky poops, sometimes it comes out like a bunch of tiny pebbles, and sometimes it all comes out as a single huge poop. Doesn't change the fact that it's all poop.

while metal may have been born in England, it was perfected in the US when Slayer entered the scene :p.

Link to video.

I'll agree that Nightwish is a tad different from the others, but only because Nightwish songs range from "crap" to "mind-blowingly awesome", whereas the others are more consistently in the range from "mediocre" to "great, but not mind-blowingly awesome"

Sometimes I have runny poops, sometimes I have long snaky poops, sometimes it comes out like a bunch of tiny pebbles, and sometimes it all comes out as a single huge poop. Doesn't change the fact that it's all poop.

Link to video.

Neither Evanescence, Within Temptation, nor Nightwish are gothic rock. And only early Within Temptation is goth metal. The other two aren't any kind of goth. Evanescence is nu metal/post-grunge, Nightwish is just symphonic power metal, and Within Temptation was goth metal and is now just symphonic rock.

Neither Evanescence, Within Temptation, nor Nightwish are gothic rock. And only early Within Temptation is goth metal. The other two aren't any kind of goth. Evanescence is nu metal/post-grunge, Nightwish is just symphonic power metal, and Within Temptation was goth metal and is now just symphonic rock.

This is a way of categorizing with genre-bound goggles, but the actual Nightwish aesthetic is very Goth informed.

faith no more kicked ass. they were a half step ahead of some of the initial grunge acts.

in no particular order - alice in chains, soundgarden, pearl jam, nirvana, beasties, smashing pumpkins, jane's addiction, rage, van hagar. there are others i'm surely missing :cool:

Just want to say Faith No More still kicks ass. I just listened to their albums while I was on vacation recently, and they hold up very nicely. They were ahead of their time, and had a sound like no one else. Mike Patton. :goodjob:

edit: And Korn's first 3 albums (only the first half of their 3rd album) weren't bad. But they quickly went to hell. RATM can't really be classifed with the other 2 since their lyrics are very political. I hate ultra left wing lyrics, but they had a cool sound on their first 2 albums. but then their talent ran out. Bizkit has always sucked, even from the beginning.

And slayer crap? They can qualify as a 90's band, although their best stuff was clearly in the 80's. They were on their way down in the 90's.

Link to video.

I figure I'll mention Pantera too, although they went to hell later in their career too.

Link to video.

Luckily Slayer was awesome enough that even their less good stuff in the 90's was still pretty good. Compared to their Big 4 contemporaries Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax they strayed the least from their thrash roots as the years went on. Megadeth had some good stuff in the early 90's, I don't think anyone is going to deny that Rust In Peace was a monster album. Anthrax really lost something when Joey Belladonna left the band in 92 (sure glad he's back now). The less said about how far Metallica has sunk from their early albums the better. Slayer are the one group out of the 4 that I can really say never put out an album I didn't at least like. All 4 have albums that I love but the other 3 have put out some truly mediocre crap throughout the years and Slayer haven't, all of their albums have at least been decent.

sweet. keep 'em comin fellas :rockon:

Metallica is coming to my area next week to play the entire Ride the Lightning album :goodjob: the wife ain't so keen on me goin' to more than a few concerts a year. so tryin' to grease her up a little :mischief:

I kind of forgot about Sepultura who released their best stuff in the 90's. Namely Arise, Chaos A.D., and Roots. I forget a lot of the 90's it seems. Must be the alcohol abuse. :)

Link to video.

Link to video.

Think this is on quite the different tact here, but has anyone given any love to Pulp?

Excellent quirky and eccentric Britpop-era band from Sheffield. Jarvis Cocker, the frontman is honestly one of the wittiest, funniest and simply best lyricists in music around.

Link to video.

And they're pretty fantastic live to boot. I was there - one of the best shows I've ever been to!

Just my two cents.

Never been a fan of Oasis either. I like Don't Look Back In Anger but that is the only song of theirs that I care for. I liked Blur quite a lot. Never been able to get into Pulp, I don't dislike them it's just that their songs don't do anything for me.

Top Bottom