• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Greatest Airport in the World?

What is the greatest airport in the world? [Please read first post]

• Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson, USA

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Chicago O'Hare, USA

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Dallas/Ft Worth, USA

• Frankfurt, Germany

• Hong Kong, China

• London Heathrow, England

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Los Angeles, USA

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Memphis, USA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Minneapolis, USA

• New York JFK, USA

• Paris Charles de Gaulle, France

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Phoenix, USA

• Singapore

• Tokyo, Japan

• Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
Calgacus : There are 36,779 municipalities in France ! That's more than all other European countries together !! Do you start to get it or not ?

Next time you'll come to Paris, I'll make you visit my place. Each time a foreigner is coming in my appartment and that I tell him it's not in Paris he always believe I'm trying to BS him. The organization of Paris metropolitan area isn't multipolar, it's all around Paris. Issy-les-Moulineaux (my city) has such a name because there were windmills there when the administrative division of France had been made in 1789. How can you consider municipalities to be objective once we know there are 5 times more municipalities in France than in Spain or in West Germany.

- Spain : 8,100 municipalities
- Italy : 8,074 municipalities
- England : 273 districts
- Germany : 7,302 municipalities in the West and 7,563 in the East.
- The 4 countries above together : 31,312 municipalities
- France : 36,779 municipalities (!!)

In the whole European Union except France, there are 37,251 municipalities. Which means about the same number than the municipalities ONLY in France !! Do you still believe French municipalities ain't really different from any other one ??? :eek:

I can't believe I've spent so much hours in such a pointless discussion. Ok, it's done, I'm out bye.

Originally posted by calgacus
The difference is populations with these other cities is large in percentage terms, but miniscule in actual terms. Paris' population is increasing by almost twice the population of the Irish Republic, Lens' is increasing by a mere 500,000.

a mere 500,000? Marla meant to say that the actual population of Paris is 5 times that of the strict definition. Lens' actual population is actually 13times as big. Smaller in numbers but bigger in percentages..

Been to Heathrow(pretty cool) that one in Amsterdam, was only there for an hour, it was cool though. Pheonix is always nice to visit, grandparents send a limo to pick me and my mom up whenever we come to visit :p
I live closer to Memphis International and its an awesome airport and of course we all know why it will always lead in most cargo, b/c FedEx is based in Memphis along with other big businesses.
Detroit Inter, was cool it sucked when i went though, delays were all around and me and my friends were stuck in the terminal for 4 hours along with a couple of thousand people, no room to sit, for the others :p we got there first and never moved :lol:
I'll just say Atlanta, since i've been there and its obviously the best airport.

Marla, I accept what you're saying. But it is another thing to stretch Paris's population to 9 million without doing likewise for all the other European cities.

You perceive the conversation to be pointless, because you believe that your arguments prove more than they do. That's not my fault.

Bye then :goodjob:

Oh and about the paris situation, i believe Paris' actual population is roughly 2,000,000 why? because i've seen most statistics say that and my french teacher who lives in paris and is a student teacher over here for a year, said that also.

Now the biggest seaports in the world:

classification according to international maritime traffic in 2002, in metric tons (tonnes)

1 Rotterdam Netherlands--- 322.107.000
2 Singapore Singapore------ 251.386.925
3 Hong Kong China---------- 192.500.000
4 Antwerp Belgium----------- 131.271.471 (2003: >142.000.000)
5 Kaohsiung Taiwan--------- 118.110.666
6 Houston USA--------------- 109.399.877
7 Shanghai China------------ 105.716.200
8 Qingdao China------------- 100.586.268
9 Hamburg Germany---------- 96.448.159
10 Busan South Korea------- 96.066.000

Originally posted by calgacus
Marla, I accept what you're saying. But it is another thing to stretch Paris's population to 9 million without doing likewise for all the other European cities.
the point Marla has been trying to make is that other countries have managed to adapt their political entities to the changes that came during the last 200 years. If you don't trust Marla's scources, you will probably be more convinced by the United Nations. I usually use their data for relatively reliable reference:
1. Paris 9.7 mill.
2. Istanbul 9.2 mill
3. Moscow 8.3 mill.
4. London 7.6 mill
they also divided the Rhine-Ruhr Agglomeration into three areas which makes it better comparable to the others.

I've been to absoloutly none of 'em on that list. Glasgow - Prestwick is the one for me! ;)

I've only been in 2 of them, Hector Int'l in Fargo,ND, and LAX. After being delayed 10 hours and sitting in the terminal at LAX with 150 high school students, I'd have to say I have bad memories of that place. Hector is pretty small, but I liked it.

Mazarin, the UN poll simply demonstrates more inconsistency. This UN agency is just as dependent on the same (flawed) sources as everyone else. I couldn't find any info on how and on what basis they derived these figures. The source for the Paris pop. is obvious, but how did they manage to cut 4 million off Moscow :rolleyes: ?

I hate the state of Texas (also the Texas state of mind), but Dallas/Ft.Worth is the most impressive airport I've been to, and i've been to most of the major airports in the USA. Its so cool, they have these underground tram ways that wind thier way through the innards of the complex. invokes memories of Final Fantasy 7 somehow....

Denver airport is pretty cool, too.

JFK is a cess pool, Chicago is too old to be as crowded as it is.

LAX is too much trouble to deal with. I'll fly out out of Ontario, California instead.

Toronto's Pearson Int'l AIrport (YYZ) is 26th. I believe that it strongly ranks up there among the world's worst. They just finished the new terminal though so maybe things have improved.

More on topic, Heathrow and O'Hare are among the most impressive (of those I've been to). I'm also very impressed with Incheon airport in Korea.

Originally posted by Perfection
Not since they renovated the HHH terminal! It used to be awesome now it's only okay.

At first I didn't like the HHH terminal, but it starts to grow on you after a while. They had what, two gates there? Yes, I took many a flight from HHH.

I like SFO, but that is called "bias"

Most impressive is Narita (Tokyo). O'Hare, JFK, and Heathrow are nice as well. Frankfurt (and Munchen for that matter) I view as mere crossroads, as I was connecting to Italy, and just about everybody on my plane was also taking connecting flights.

The best airport I have ever been in is definetly K.L.M.'s base in Amsterdam. The Dutch I hear take a lot of pride in their Airline and vast airports, and with good reason too.

Top Bottom