Greatest Songs Of All Time

Some from my personal 'Hall of Fame', trying to hit one song from key artists and genres that I've enjoyed over the years (and still do today, for the most part). I'm posting YouTube vids in spoiler tags, just to save space.

"Blue in Green" (1959) by Miles Davis, Bill Evans & John Coltrane (Cannonball Adderly was on also that album, but not in this song)
Spoiler :
"Tales of Brave Ulysses" (1967) by Cream
Spoiler :
"You Got the Love" (1974) by Rufus
Spoiler :
"Sir Duke" (1976) by Stevie Wonder
Spoiler :
"Boogie Oogie Oogie" (1978) by A Taste of Honey
Spoiler :
"Transmission" (1979) by Joy Division
Spoiler :
"Edge of Seventeen" (1981) by Stevie Nicks
Spoiler :
"Let's Have a War" (1982) by Fear
Spoiler :
"Over the Shoulder" (1986) by Ministry
Spoiler :
"Green" (1986) by Throwing Muses
Spoiler :
"Lucretia My Reflection" (1987) by The Sisters of Mercy
Spoiler :
"Follow the Leader" (1988) by Eric B. & Rakim
Spoiler :
"Down in It" (1989) by Nine Inch Nails
Spoiler :
"Man in the Box" (1990) by Alice in Chains
Spoiler :
"Angel" (1998) by Massive Attack
Spoiler :
"Cross Bones Style" (1998) by Cat Power
Spoiler :
"Home" (2004) by Zero 7
Spoiler :
"Vastness and Sorrow" (2007) by Wolves in the Throne Room
"Civilian" (2011) by Wye Oak
Spoiler :
"Dragged Out" (2015) by Chelsea Wolfe
Spoiler :

:shifty: Okay, I have to make myself stop. :lol:

Which version of Hallelujah though? While Cohen was certainly great, I tend to like Buckley's version best.

Yep, Stairway at like around 60 was redonkulous. Easily top 5 song, if not #1. "Day in the Life" is my favorite Beatles song. It's there but shoulda been much much higher. As should "Creep" by Radiohead which has just had great longevity - the acoustical version opened GOTG 3. I think "Paranoid Android" should have had a nod at least.

"Queen of the Night" is def one of my favorite operatic pieces.

Jeff Buckley... what a talent we missed out on from his premature death.

A Day In The Life also happens to be my favorite Beatles song; Kashmir beats Stairway though. ;)

Oh dear, how could I forget about Spinal Tap! :lol: Stonehenge!!!!

Love Throwing Muses, Egon!

Yep, Kashmir is no doubt awesome, Eva. Another of my Zep faves is "Tea for One".

Kristin and Tanya had great dueling voices, but University(album) is the best (Tanya had left for Belly):

Last edited:
X'er here who came of age during the era where MTV was wall-to-wall music videos. 1983 is obviously the peak of anything music. I've recently gone down the YouTube rabbit hole of watching people reacting to music they've never heard. I even found a channel of a guy from my era that reacts to reactors reacting. With that being said, here are the songs that I currently am most interested in seeing reaction videos:

1. Alanis Morrissette - You Oughta Know (There's about 5 lines of this song where I love to see the reaction. One of my bucket list items was to have a woman play it in my honor - mission accomplished)
2. Mick Jagger - Just Another Night (sadly I could find only one reaction video to this song)
3. Weird Al Yankovic - Almost anything, but All About the Pentiums and White and Nerdy are my favorites
4. Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal (especially if they are familiar with the Michael Jackson version and are familiar enough with Jackson's videos to catch all the homage going on)
5. Luniz - I've Got 5 On It

Only 1 80s song in that bunch. The couple of 1995 songs were from an era when I should have been studying for the bar exam instead of watching music videos

10 playlist starters:

Jazz: "Take Five" (1959) by The Dave Brubeck Quartet
Spoiler :
Psychedelia: "Interstellar Overdrive" (1967) by Pink Floyd
Spoiler :
Classic Metal: "War Pigs" (1970) by Black Sabbath
Spoiler :
Funk: "Funky Stuff" (1973) by Kool & The Gang
Spoiler :
Punk: "Holiday in Cambodia" (1979) by Dead Kennedys
Spoiler :
Old School Hip-Hop: "Night of the Living Baseheads" (1987) by Public Enemy
Spoiler :
Grunge: "Jesus Christ Pose" (1991) by Soundgarden
Spoiler :
Trip-Hop: "Unfinished Sympathy" (1991) by Massive Attack
Spoiler :
Nu Metal: "Loco" (1996) by Coal Chamber
Spoiler :
Goth: "Jasmine and Rose" (1999) by Clan of Xymox
Spoiler :

I don't listen to music as a rule, and I've only listened to a handful of artists, so I can't speak with much authority, but so far I've heard nothing better than Michael Jackson's Billie Jean.

Honourable mention for Katy Perry's Firework, an explosion of exuberance.

Jeff Buckley... what a talent we missed out on from his premature death.
His dad, Tim, was also fabulous. Died young too, IIRC suicide.

Schubert gets three: Ave Maria, Gretchen at the Spinning Wheel and that closing one from Winterisse.

Then Carry On Wayward Son and Dust in the Wind.

These tyoe of lists are always dominated by boomer rock type songs. Usually by who writes them.

Probably whatever you listened to age 10-30.

I hadn't heard much Beatles music until a Russian ice dancing team did their long program to a Beatles medley at the 1988 Winter Olympics. I didn't like the team, but I did decide to check out the music. Most of it's tolerable.

Most of what I've listened to is either folk music or orchestral, though of course there are individual songs in other genres I like.

Which version of Hallelujah though? While Cohen was certainly great, I tend to like Buckley's version best.

I'm partial to Wuauquikuna's version (this video was shot in Ecuador):

X'er here who came of age during the era where MTV was wall-to-wall music videos. 1983 is obviously the peak of anything music. I've recently gone down the YouTube rabbit hole of watching people reacting to music they've never heard. I even found a channel of a guy from my era that reacts to reactors reacting. With that being said, here are the songs that I currently am most interested in seeing reaction videos:

1. Alanis Morrissette - You Oughta Know (There's about 5 lines of this song where I love to see the reaction. One of my bucket list items was to have a woman play it in my honor - mission accomplished)
2. Mick Jagger - Just Another Night (sadly I could find only one reaction video to this song)
3. Weird Al Yankovic - Almost anything, but All About the Pentiums and White and Nerdy are my favorites
4. Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal (especially if they are familiar with the Michael Jackson version and are familiar enough with Jackson's videos to catch all the homage going on)
5. Luniz - I've Got 5 On It

Only 1 80s song in that bunch. The couple of 1995 songs were from an era when I should have been studying for the bar exam instead of watching music videos

Earlier this year I ran across a video where someone was reacting to "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". He hadn't known it was based on a true event.

I've listened to some Weird Al Yankovic. Some of his stuff is actually filk music, though he prefers to call it by a different term. Here's one that got me dancing around the room with Maddy (she wasn't impressed, but I had fun):

I hadn't heard much Beatles music until a Russian ice dancing team did their long program to a Beatles medley at the 1988 Winter Olympics. I didn't like the team, but I did decide to check out the music. Most of it's tolerable.

Most of what I've listened to is either folk music or orchestral, though of course there are individual songs in other genres I like.

I'm partial to Wuauquikuna's version (this video was shot in Ecuador):

Earlier this year I ran across a video where someone was reacting to "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". He hadn't known it was based on a true event.

I've listened to some Weird Al Yankovic. Some of his stuff is actually filk music, though he prefers to call it by a different term. Here's one that got me dancing around the room with Maddy (she wasn't impressed, but I had fun):

I've always thought the Beatles where over-rated.

BUT compared to their contemporaries yeah good 60s music is generally 67-69.

Anyway take a list of 50 all time guests dump the worst 10-15 songs and plug in a similar amount from 80s and 90s and you're probably not to far off.

Jacko, Nirvana, Queen, Guns N Rose's, Alanis Morissette perhaps probably belong in the conversation somewhere.

Their song '39 is probably the only song ever written about relativistic time dilation and it's still a bop.

I haven't listened to enough varied music to be able to make a list of the greatest songs of all time and what I listen to tends to be based more around albums and not individual songs.

I do agree album listening is the superior experience.

I haven't listened to enough varied music to be able to make a list of the greatest songs of all time and what I listen to tends to be based more around albums and not individual songs.
You could fake it like everyone else in the thread ^^ It's not like one can believe the list is definitive.

Top Bottom