Grim Dawn Kickstarter!

Beardy Dan

Warlord
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

Grim Dawn is an action role-playing game for PC and a spiritual successor to Titan Quest. For the past two years a small team of former Iron Lore veterans at Crate Entertainment have been developing Grim Dawn with their own, improved version of the Iron Lore engine and tools; the same technology used to create Titan Quest.

Check it out if you like that sort of thing. Its almost 20% funded on day one!

They plan on making a game for only $280,000? Sounds like a scam to me... even Wasteland 2 only had a goal of 1,000,000, and it was meant to be pretty humble.
It is a good idea to read the content before replying, because you would look a lot less foolish then.

So is this another "we will only ask for 10% of our funding from kick starter and get the rest from venture capitalists" thing then? If so I have many criticism of that business... "model"... will post on it tomorrow though.

So is this another "we will only ask for 10% of our funding from kick starter and get the rest from venture capitalists" thing then? If so I have many criticism of that business... "model"... will post on it tomorrow though.
If you have a general criticism about this kind of business model, perhaps you should open a new thread dedicated to that discussion? Grim Dawn is the first Kickstarter project I have actually taken a notice of. This is because I have been following Grim Dawns activities since they started 2 years ago, so I am not especially interested to hear about the supposed abundance of similar projects.

Might play this in a few years when i'll get bored of Diablo 3.

...yay, another kickstarter remake/sequel/prequel/rehash... be still my heart.

Aren't these regular donations ? So the author can buy coke & hookers with the money if he wants.

Nope, there is no safeguard for preventing the author to take you money and run away, and yes, the author can buy coke & hookers with the money if he wants. So you have to consider each kickstarter project separately, and it comes down to individual reputation and trust.

If you would have followed the grimdawn project since its inception, you would know that the donation/preorder options were all fan driven. In the beginning, several fans asked Crate Entertainment how they could support the project/give donation. This resulted in the preorder option on their webpage. Now recently (just search their forums), some fans pushed the idea of kickstarter to Crate Entertainment in order to speed up the development, and they complied. Now, the cynical person would think they already had the ideas beforehand and used the fans as excuse. Well, they have actually done stuff the last couple of years (just check out the videos), so it is not totally fake.

It is perceived as one of the more legit projects out there, since they are not unknowns and they have something to show. Nothing is for sure in this world, and you can never trust people you don't know 100%. TQ-fans like me want this project to succeed because we care about their previous effort and cannot wait to get our hands on their next one. We have already weighed the positives against the negatives, and in our minds the positives far outweighs the negatives. If this project does not even remotely tickle your buy-finger, then this game is not for you. If you like the premises of the game, but are unsure if you can trust the company then only you can decide if its worth the risk. The facts are there, it depends if it is enough for you.

Top Bottom