[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Later in the game it feels imposable to keep any of Elenor's cities from filming back to her.
The solution to Eleanor? Cultural alliance: she can't flip your cities if she's not exerting loyalty pressure. :mischief:

The solution to Eleanor? Cultural alliance: she can't flip your cities if she's not exerting loyalty pressure. :mischief:

Thanks. I'm not good a remembering my civ's abilities let alone how to counteract the other civ's. I do enjoy her snarky messages about how nice of me it is to put cities on her border. And she is an AI in every game it seems.

Those tourists are cold customers
upload_2019-2-17_17-54-35.png

My first game I had no choice but to do cultural ally with her. When the allied came up for renewal, my nearest city was at over -16 per turn with one of her cities. And I was in a golden age.

What was even cooler is I flipped 2 of her cities with Indie Rock bands. Give her a taste of her own medicine. Though one went back to her (her capital, I only wanted to slow her cultural progress), the other flipped to me.

So... now I think about it more... this emergency triggers as soo as the medieval era occurs.... so it looks like and early emergency that sits and waits for the medieval era... Looks like they forgot ab
I observed the same thing: potential emergency triggered before the medieval era, but no vote on it until medieval hits.

I've been playing as the Inca. There is an achievment called "surprise attack": move a military unit into an opponent's owned tile using a mountain tunnel of qhapaq nan. I've done that about 15 times and it never popped; but I just airlifed a spec ops to an enemy tile (actually a free city), no tunnels nearby at all, and the achievment activated. Hmm...
I'm wondering if the achievement is bugged - it's the most accomplished GS achievement, but I have trouble imagining that many people have actually done what it describes.

Got a random achievement to have a district pillaged by 3 natural disasters but that never occurred.
It's been reported somewhere else that the achievement seems to trigger when any tile on the map meets the criteria.

I'm wondering if the achievement is bugged - it's the most accomplished GS achievement, but I have trouble imagining that many people have actually done what it describes.
I got the achievement, do not know what I did but I got it. I have a fuzzy memory of it triggering when they attacked me through a tunnel.
On a side note, I made that tunnel to stop a siege of one of my cities, it worked until they went around.... Archers finally saved the day, was annoyed they could not shoot back through the tunnel though.

Once Sweden gets its Open-Air Museums up and running with 5 land forms, my city borders grow so fast I am constantly building and buying Builders to keep up with improvements.

Also, they get Tourism buckets before Flight. So presumably they are contributing to Tourism before all other improvements. As if auto-themed museums and wonders weren't enough for Kristina. I'm at significant risk of winning a cultural victory even before the Diplomatic Victory resolutions become available in the WC.

I think it may become common practice to disable cultural Victories if you want to win diplomatically.

OPen-air museums is so ridiculous, it might be worth building a lot of bad cities only so you can build an OPen-air museum and get the tourism. I got 13 cities, that is 130 culture/tourism relatively early for merely building an improvement on each city.

I don't like to disable victories but I'll do that when I play as Canada, so I can make use of his diplo favors from tourism bonus without the need to worry about winning cultural before diplomatic.

you just never have enough oil in this. played 3 games now every time units were suffering from not enough oil and i had plenty of oil resources. it's good to be a bug?
In the only game I played I found there to be a shortage of oil and a critical shortage of uranium. It was a huge map and I had conquered a substantial landmass. It makes the game more enjoyable and strategic. Great change IMO. Can't wait for Resourceful2 mod to be updated so I can play a ludicrous sized map.

I got the achievement, do not know what I did but I got it.

Pretty sure I got mine when a rock band traveled through a tunnel, but I can't be sure.

I built (well, bought it as the Mali!) my first Giant Death Robot just now, and yep... the thing is completely broken, especially once you get the upgrades. I used it, a modern armor and a supply convoy to walk through China and tear it all down. It's a bit silly I think, lol. I mean, I get that it's supposed to be the "finish the game" unit but I dunno... there seems to be even less of a reason to use nuclear weapons now.

Anyways, what actually led to the whole war was pretty cool though. I was closing in on victory and China, who I had been allied with earlier, ended up declaring a Surprise War on me. I called a Betrayal Emergency and it passed. This resulted in a huge world war, it was pretty awesome. Even if the AI is so hilariously ineffective, it was cool to see all those units moving around and fighting, I haven't seen a lot of that thing in this game.

So, to win the emergency we had to take China's capital. What is nice is that the other AI's were actually bringing units all the way down to the capital. I didn't expect that but they definitely were bringing units down to attack though it was way more of a "flailing" attack than anything coordinated and deadly. Also, China was pretty barren when it came to military after I'd killed the first wave of his attackers (not a whole lot). They had some Jet Fighters on patrol but not much else. But, he was actually building a Giant Death Robot in his capital. I took the city when there were like 4 turns left on it. I mean, the AI being what it is I would've killed it easily (especially with the allied units around) but still nice that there was an attempt.

I just sold a Great Work of Art to Suleiman for ~200 GPT + ~2,000 gold in cash. NB it was literally everything he had. Apparently he's a fan of Michelangelo. :eek: :lol: :crazyeye:

Sweden was also pretty boring to play.

I've been playing around with Mali, and I can't help but feel a nerf is coming in the future. -30% to production of units and buildings is nothing.

Using desert folklore + the two policy cards that double adjacency bonus for holy sites/commercial districts, you can have size 4 cities pumping out a minimum of 14fpt/10gpt without constructing any buildings to place inside the districts. Realistically, you can get closer to 18fpt/14gpt with correct district planning. That's nuts for size 4.

If you want to squeeze out some extra gold, you can build/buy harbor districts or go for one of the gold generating religions (if you're aiming for a religion, I'd recommend the belief that gives food for shrines/temples, so you can work more mines).

Plop down some envoys in religious/commercial city states, and you're good to go. You can build nothing but projects all game (and the occasional wonder, if you want it), further giving you more faith/gold.

You'll be able to buy units faster than the AI can produce them, at least on immortal (and at least for resourceless units). You can simply overwhelm the AI with superior numbers.

Well, I am here to report that I have seen good AI attacks and moves - in fact, I have just practically lost a modded emperor game...

see picture: I am Hungary, Inca and Frelanor are beating me at end of Medieval - Inca by war, the woman by love.. :)

Inca used smart forces of first cats/chariots, then crossbows/swords... I had no iron and was a bit behind in tech...

mods:
- Dynamic Eras set to multipliers 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and so on
- FortifAI (walled AI cities)
- Jam's Difficulty mod (gives era increasing AI bonuses)
I love seeing all this! I've found two of the mods you're using, but I'm not sure which Dynamic Eras mod you mean. Is it the one by Bear? Can you provide a link?

Game is devoid of barbarians again. Something is very screwy with map generation.

Top Bottom