1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Chieftain

I've supposedly lost Suzerainty to Hattusa every single turn, for the last 100 or so turns. While simultaneously regaining it fast enough to still get the resources.

It's funny when seemingly every other civ researches Stirrups at the same time. I was bombarded with requests for Iron. But nobody wanted my coal. :p

2. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Canada is pretty boring, eh.

Kjimmet, bbbt, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  3. Timothy001

Timothy001 Chieftain

AI is building lots of varied districts. Following best needs, good adjacency.

4. Starwars

Starwars Chieftain

The AI's do give you gold, just like you can give gold when someone else is the subject of the emergency (well, you can always give gold but...). I don't think you get anything from the "Send aid" mission though.

One thing I'm really enjoying about GS is the new emphasis on strategic resources. Previously I just didn't care that much though of course it was nice to have iron for Knight rushes. But now I'm really looking for the resources and I find it changes the game quite a bit. For my first games, I really had plenty of pretty much everything. But the one I'm currently playing, my location has been a lot more stingy and I find I'm pretty carefully managing what to upgrade and what I don't because I want to make use of what little oil I have. Even using the card that doubles the output for it. It's pretty cool.

One thing I *really* hope they implement is the ability to shut down reactors. Not change them or anything like now, but just remove them and go back to the vanilla Factory building.

5. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Well. Ok then.

Wizard-Bob and WillowBrook like this.
  6. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

On the contrary, theirs should be even more expensive since they have land that's already below sea level.

I am wondering, though, when the Dutch player builds flood barriers, how they interact graphically with polders. Will they be inside or outside the barrier, or clip over it?

7. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Uh, now I have a game completely devoid of barbarians after several games of raging barbarians from hell.

8. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

In this case, the resolution benefits civs that have trade routes with you more than it benefits you. So don't feel too warm and fuzzy about it... :D

Yeah, in my first game there were no barbarians at all on my starting continent, and in my second they were insane. It looks like there may be a bug were barbarians are unevenly distributed across continents.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Once Sweden gets its Open-Air Museums up and running with 5 land forms, my city borders grow so fast I am constantly building and buying Builders to keep up with improvements.

Also, they get Tourism buckets before Flight. So presumably they are contributing to Tourism before all other improvements. As if auto-themed museums and wonders weren't enough for Kristina. I'm at significant risk of winning a cultural victory even before the Diplomatic Victory resolutions become available in the WC.

I think it may become common practice to disable cultural Victories if you want to win diplomatically.

10. teakbois

teakbois Chieftain

You do get gold. Almost all AIs, even ones that don't like you, will probably give you 2 gpt. So like 14 gpt. Its not nothing, but its not great either. its not like the AI runs any risk of DV.

11. Haig

Haig Warlord

Nice to read about this, still on holiday so cant play it yet, but sounds so much fun..

Have you guys seen big a.i. navies? Any leader with the new Navy building agenda?

12. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

AI (Teddy) declared a surprise war in industrial era. Took me by complete surprise. He arrived on my shores with 2 curassiers, 2 field cannons corps, and a bombard. For some reason he didn‘t go for my shore cities, but an inland non-capital one. I was able to bring in my garrisoned units from all sides (needed to upgrade them first though) and so I could easily stop them. If they went for one of my coastal cities, they might have been more successful. Still, I welcome this. Things like this didn‘t happen before in my games. It might have been triggered by me being just a few turns (~20) away from cultural victory.

oedali likes this.
  13. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I feel zero guilt for shameless war profiteering. :p

I've had this voted in twice and can confirm that it both works and shows up in the trade UI. :confused:

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  14. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Chieftain

I had the "Sovereignty." resolution twice in a row. I had an emergency session called on me after capturing Nan Madol from Elenor and keeping it. Later in the game it feels imposable to keep any of Elenor's cities from filming back to her. It's hard to tell on my laptop if tiles improvements were damaged by floods. Being hit by raging barbs can really be beneficial with gold and era score if you are prepared for it. I haven't been hit by raging horse barbs early yet but I imaging it's game over for anyone but Gilgamesh.

15. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

This guy was changed.

16. Sostratus

Sostratus Chieftain

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this in the past 20 pages since I read this thread.

When building terrace farms in my petra city, the terrace farm will display the final yield of the tile instead of what the improvement itself gives.
    So, hover over the button and get "+5 food, +1 production, +2 gold" instead of "+3 food."

Unrelated: have we always been unable to raze free cities if they belonged to an ally? If they plant a city nxt to your border, and you cap it (you can only keep or lib an ally's former city) then the liberated city gets ownership of all the tiles around it. Thus, you can give away extra tiles and thanks to the citizen manager preventing swaps of first tier tiles, you cannot do anything about that.

As far as I can tell, renewable power takes precedence over power plants. Does anyone know if Nuke>Oil>Coal in terms of generation preference? In my just completed incan game I was unable to get enough oil/uranium to use for power...

Also: why do artillery need oil too?! If you don't have oil you can only build AT units. Unlocking tanks means no more cuirassier build option. Who, incidentally, are almost too good - they just completely dominate the industrial era. Corps/armies also only needing 1 oil for fuel is a huge boon to tank units: they may cost slightly more but if oil is the limiter, they are simply the best modern unit, since AT crews only hit them even (70+10 vs 80) and they have faster movement and they hit infantry for +10. So if you're oil restricted you should be going armored.

Idea: Battleships, ironclads, and tanks should require 20 iron to build and their respective fuel types to fuel.

Naeshar likes this.
  17. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Well, I am here to report that I have seen good AI attacks and moves - in fact, I have just practically lost a modded emperor game...

see picture: I am Hungary, Inca and Frelanor are beating me at end of Medieval - Inca by war, the woman by love.. :)

Inca used smart forces of first cats/chariots, then crossbows/swords... I had no iron and was a bit behind in tech...

GS modded emperor.jpg

mods:
    - Dynamic Eras set to multipliers 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and so on
    - FortifAI (walled AI cities)
    - Jam's Difficulty mod (gives era increasing AI bonuses)

tedhebert likes this.
  18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Just got a T96 Cultural victory in GOTM57 with Kupe - The early start benefits of Maori are great including being able to settle a capital on a wonder.
    The AI is better at attcking now by the looks of things but may come at the cost of science and culture whioch seems to have slowed, even on deity.

19. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

I was about to ask what you meant about settling on a wonder when I remembered that I always play with legendary start on so I usually get that anyway lol

20. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Here was my capital on the victory turn... I think I used about 4 builders the entire game, no chopping, they were more useful exploring. I could have improved things but there really was no need with Kupe.
    Very fitting it was Piopiotahi
    upload_2019-2-17_17-33-40.png

CivLuvah likes this.