1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 14, 2019.

1. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

In my current game I nearly lost the city I just took because it didn't have a dam and got hit by a 1,000 year flood the turn after I took it. With Genghis' units nearby (but not in damage range of the flood).

Pretty exciting when stuff like that happens. I love it :)

nzcamel likes this.
  2. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

Mounties don't upgrade to anything! I built a ton thinking I had helicopters in waiting, but...

3. Casworon

Casworon Prince

Trade routes are MUCH more powerful with costal trade. With the ability of gold and faith to both buy districts i think Civ VI is slowly moving away from the production Meta.

I find it much easier to get a good gold and faith income than a production income. The conversion rates being 4 gold to 1 prod and 2 faith to 1 prod

oedali, Zaarin and Myomoto like this.
  4. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Which is ironic considering the RCMP has had an Air Service Unit for 81 years. Guess Firaxis think they all still ride horses :lol:

Zaarin and Myomoto like this.
  5. kryat

kryat King

Hungary actually has a good shot at an early religion thanks to Pearl of the Danube

Kmart_Elvis and Weraptor like this.
  6. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I assume it's been liberated a few times? As others have pointed out, city states gain a tile of territory when an envoy is added. The problem came with R&F when they changed it so liberators automatically get envoys on liberation. In later eras, you get six, and the city state expands by six tiles. Every time it's liberated. Up to five tiles from the city center.

I'm guessing they didn't really think about this situation when they made the change - careless programming.

7. Delvi

Delvi Chieftain

So far I love this expansion, yes it needs some adjustments but I really enjoy to play it.

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

With the advent of a monumentality golden age the production meta died at R&F in my view if not before, goddess of the harvest was string before R&F it's just people did not realize. Factories were never a sound choice (bar for germany) once the adjacency buff died in the early days. Chopping has got strong with Magnus and while it is production it is not in the traditional way people look at it. Gold seemed to be valued at 2:1 but in reality is probably around 3:1 but has been buffed significantly by the advent of diplomacy points, trade routes and specialized civs (English ability also).

I have a couple of questions re culture

Has the bug to do with the natural history museum been spotted already?
    Below I have 2 sculptured by Donatello ... so I should be generating 2+2+1 tourism which = 5 not 8.
    The tourism lens shows it correctly at 10 tourism with the double great works card slotted
    upload_2019-2-18_13-24-46.png

Also Seaside resorts seem to be producing +1 tourism
    You can see from the gold on the resort that this tiles appeal is +7 but it is producing 8 tourism... same with all resorts so an appeal of 4 produces +5 tourism. Something i do not know or buggy? The civilopedia just says 100% of appeal.
    upload_2019-2-18_13-27-36.png

Sostratus likes this.
  9. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

In my recent game, offshore wind farms were getting the technology boosts for fishing boats; the +1 food at plastics and +2 gold from whatever tech (exploration?)
    Seasteads also got these bonuses, but only if they were placed on coast. Ocean seasteads didn't get the bonuses.

This kind of means that offshore wind farms are the best, since you're taking 2 food/3 gold tiles and adding 1 food/2prod/3 gold. You might want to sprinkle in seasteads by fishing boats for the housing but its hard to beat limitless 3 food/2prod/tons of gold tiles.

Further, I was able to build an offshore oil rig on a submerged (formerly land) oil source. The game classes them as coast. So I'm guessing you can build polders on submerged land... laughs in dutch

Victoria likes this.
  10. Shorlin

Shorlin Warlord

I think production is still important for science victory and domination (unit cards/army and armada discounts)
    Computer tech and a new civic now give +25%tourism a piece, if you have one of those.

Victoria and Myomoto like this.
  11. Victoria

For Domination - a good Dom player looks ahead and gets the base units and upgrades with gold. If they do not have enough troops later they just chop them in with a builder (likely brought with faith)
    For Science - Builders complete projects using charges not production, these builders are bought with faith or chopped in, rarely are they hard built with production. Spaceports are bought not built if you have any sense whatsoever, not enough gold (or a good chop site) means they are chopped in.

Using production slows down your game, makes it many of 10's of turns longer. You can build using production but its slower and duller and requires less skill in planning. 3rd tier buildings still do not produce enough to make it worth using production to get them and you can get tier 1 & 2 buildings by chopping... production has in fact been dead since near the beginning. They did not buff them enough unless you have just the right adjacency and even then you are just slowing yourself down by not chopping or buying.

Don't get me wrong, early game production while chopping is still poor, is of great value but do not dream that this carries into the middle or god forbid, the late game.

Pillaging has made it worse.... I can pillage an enemy campus for 600 gold easily at T100 while my own campus only makes 8/turn ... why bother at all.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  12. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

I feel your pain. But tbh I like this randomness that may ruin my plans, makes the game less linear and deterministic.

Imagine what Mongols felt when they invaded Japan and most of their invading force was wiped out by random typhoon.
    Then they amassed second invading force some years later, thinking it is improbable the same thing happens again. And it did, again random typhoon destroyed most of their forces. How ridiculously low is probability of something like this happening twice in a row in the exact same scenario...

Karmah, Kjimmet, Noble Zarkon and 3 others like this.
  13. Victoria

It was really the Japanese defences the second time stopping the landing and the Mongol stupidly hanging around at sea until the inevitable typhoon came.

I 100% agree with you though... I lost half an army fighting along a river ... so did the opposition but it did stop my attack for a bit. I loved it.

agonistes likes this.
  14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I wonder if they rolled a new start when that happened.

Meluhhan, Pietato and Noble Zarkon like this.
  15. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Warlord

I think the Raging Barb problem may have something to do with having less space for the Barbs to go. They used to love the tiny snow islands near the poles, but those are all ice-locked now, so maybe they're spawning somewhere else.

16. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I seem to be getting all barbs, all the time; or none at all.

17. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Apadana bugged? Built it and didn't get 2 envoys.

18. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm pretty sure I got the envoys when I built it.

19. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Late getting back to this as a graphics issue stopped me playing. A few minor thoughts so far:

The 'jersey system' appears not to work as intended. In my current game I have both Mapuche (dark green on yellow) and Khmer (usual dark blue on yellow). I got hit by a surprise attack from the Khmer as I hadn't noticed the units near my new city weren't my Mapuche friends. Oddly, I don't recall having that issue before a colour system that was supposed to reduce confusion was introduced... It's also going to take getting used to that colours I associate with one civ now show up in another (France has Norway's colours this game).

- There does seem to have been some improvement in AI war-making decisions. So far - aside from the Khmer attack - I've only had wars declared by adjacent civs, and they focus their attacks on their specific target (so far the closest city) rather than beelining for the capital. Impressively, the Khmer attack was a naval invasion - I've seen AIs attack oversea before, but I can'r previously recall it as a surprise attack. EDIT: the Khmer took New York and were able to hold it, so presumably have close settlements that could resist loyalty pressure from me and the Zulu.

- Tactics are another matter - I still had enemies attacking over rivers and suiciding against cities. One encouraging sign was that the Zulu brought, and used, a battering ram against Washington.

- City states seem to put up more of a fight against AI aggression. I've seen notifications that several have fallen, but mine - Nazca - successfully fought off a Mapuche attack before getting walls, and a French attack once walled. It's disappointing that there's still no way to request that a friendly civ make peace with a city state (even though they incur grievances). Though France was persistent and eventually took it down.

- Not sure what to make of the grievance system itself yet as I haven't made use of it. What I have noticed is that grievances seem to decay too rapidly - I was in a protracted war with the Zulu, but within a few turns of making peace I had hardly any grievances with them. Also, the war incurred a one-time grievance but the grievances didn't increase as the war went on - which would seem to be a good approach.

- In general AIs seem to behave a bit more distinctly from one another diplomatically than they did, which is encouraging, but I don't know whether this is just the case within individual games or whether they have personalities that will prompt them to behave in specific ways across multiple sessions (for instance France, despite losing fewer units and having a larger surviving military, was much more willing to make peace with me after I defeated their attack than the Zulu). Making friends seems a little too easy, however, unless a civ has decided not to like you.

- I don't like the fact that World Congress resolutions force votes, which as I understand it cost favour assuming they pass, with no opportunity to abstain - so that even when none of the resolution options are of specific relevance I have to either spend favour of take an option which I calculate will fail. For instance the first and so far only non-special session I've had so far gave me the choice between (a) 'banning' a luxury or adding amenities from duplicates; and (b) choosing between increasing trade yields from certain types of city state or preventing their uniques from working. For a I had no duplicate luxuries and hadn't seen enough of the world to know which my rivals had; and for (b) I vaguely wanted to keep access to the Nazca lines but didn't expect to create any soon, and had no extra trade capacity. So I had to choose more or less at random.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  20. Victoria

Question on rock bands.....
    Arioch site says the cost of the rock bands is progressive - (535, 600, 670, 735)
    I know during that live stream they stated the rock bands act like spies and was wondering if the cost does also.
    So a spy will cost 225, a second will cost 275 and a third 325 (need to check progression cost) but the key is if I lost 2 of my 3 spies then building the next would only cost 275. Do rock bands work similar or they just get more expensive regardless?