1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I lost my first one before buying my second, and the price still went up.

Victoria likes this.
  2. Myomoto

Myomoto Warlord

To me it seems their spawn rate decays with time. Basically they spawn all over the place early, then by medieval they kind of disappear.

3. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Levied Hungarian knights are silly.

4. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Can you explain this? You built improvements with a settler? AND he can get past the mountains? Or do you mean a worker?

5. marius_kaparius

marius_kaparius Warlord

I wonder how they went about choosing these flags? Pretty ones, a hint, or the only way that some would ever make the game :)

upload_2019-2-18_10-28-54.png

6. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, builder, sorry. HE was the only guy allowed into the water at the time.

7. Starwars

Starwars Warlord

I hadn't thought of this but now that you mention it, it is true.

In my games so far though, which have all been on Continents, I've noticed that the world map fills up more than prior GS. In Rise and Fall, I found I would often be able to find at least a city or two on another continent/landmass a bit later in the game, even though it could be a struggle and not always worth it. In GS though, there is no settling space left (and no place left for barbs). I guess due to the change in the map creation.

8. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

In my last game I had crazy spawns the entire match, probably because I was near the south pole and there was a lot of snow tiles with no nearby cities. Eventually I made a ton of units to just go stand there and provide line of sight to many tiles, which seemed to slow (but not stop) the spawns

9. Balerune

Balerune Prince

Would like to know when dikes are available (just playing first game and can't see in modern era) which is a technology which dates from at least 700AD. Did I miss this in the tech tree? I (of course) want to reclaim some of that submerged land. Not worried about flood dams, just dikes to reclaim the sea. (And I would expect high tech dikes thank you.)

(I won't even mention colonizing the moon to escape the horrid ravages of global warming, or is it climate change when the earth gets cooler and the sea levels lower, or how about something in the game about sun spots and their effect on the earth? Why not comets crashing into the earth or an alien invasion? Kind of a war of the worlds? Perhaps Frodo or Galdalf could help along with Harry Potter?)
    Thanking you for you indulgence and patience, yours truly ....whoever:undecide:

I so humbly apologize, so humbly that I shall cease to exist, or better, take the first spaceship to Uranus. I found the dikes -- they are called SEASTEAD. So beautiful, evokes images of charming days at the beach.:hug:

Still waiting for the comet tho.:sad:

Sorry I forget, is that technology named Science or Belief?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2019
  10. agonistes

Resource costs are a definite step up. Now if only they would make sure no units cost 0 gold for maintenance.

Jewman and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  11. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Quite a few of them (though not all) are from nations not represented in the game currently as either Civs or City States.

12. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Do any units cost 0 maintainece after ancient ones?

13. agonistes

I just got +1 for desert last night.

14. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think now I was, it just didn't pop up with big splash art because the award was reduced to +1 era score.

15. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Toas are Zero Classical and have staying power. No resource requirement either, just 130 gold to upgrade a warrior.. available at construction and only -3 vs a knight.
    I still get inhospitable era points
    Drill Manuals red card (mercantilism) gives +1 per resource which is handy for increasing Niter etc at times of shortage but I have found buying it is not a big deal. Add Conservation and your oil and Aluminum are +4 per turn.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  16. Jewman

Jewman Prince

Just finished game 2 of GS. Science victory with mali. Large mountain range and presumably the maori being in my game gave me a massive slice of Pangaea all to myself. Tons of desert and mines. I had to defend my city-states on the border with germany the whole game. They were extremely bloody wars, I was going through some hard times when Germany attacked so his field guns and cuirassers were cutting through my mandekalus and levied troops. However, I was able to outspend him to a stalemate while my economy and science ballooned in the industrial era.

A few things I took away from this game:
    1. Mali is indeed unstoppable if it survives the early game, I had 50k just sitting around because I couldn't outspend my income every turn. I begrudgingly won a science victory because I could afford to buy spaceports everywhere (with faith too) and workers every turn. I did not even need to build campus until late in game.

2. Pillage economy is insane. Part of the reason I was able to forego science until late was that I conquered Germany which was the number 1 economy/science civ in game. I was able to destroy them because I beat them to advanced flight and I was pumping out 3 bombers every turn with my insane income. After blitzkrieging germany (ironic) I then pillaged all the minor civs in the game with my tanks and one giant death robot (for fun) while keeping up 5 alliances. I was swimming in money, culture, faith and science from pillaging.

3. Diplo victory takes so long. I was able to speed up science victory to the point where waiting for diplo vote would've been insane. I think there were only 2 or maybe 3 diplo votes total in the entire game, so it was impossible for me to win the victory without getting to this last vote. I missed out on alot of emergencies in early game because I was in my own corner of the continent without much contact with the other side.

4. Building an insanely industrial and polluting nation seems like a complete net benefit. Flooding was almost entirely beneficial (to open up sea lanes for my submarines to go pillage more places) and where it wasn't I built flood barriers using my heavy gross industry. I contributed more to CO2 than everyone by a lot, only one civ started heavily industrializing at all in my game.

5. I got Nazca as my suzerain (germany conquered them twice, part of the reason I had to war with him all game). Nazca and Mali are a dream. an absolute dream. My mines were all surrounded by nazca lines.. I had Petra in my second city too. the yields, the beautiful yields!

Edit: Oh and I forgot, military engineers are awesome. I had a half dozen of them paving my empire, paving my conquest and occasionally paving my allies too lol. I built tons of tunnels and airbases and a few forts even. I suspect this was mostly viable with mali because spending ~500 for each one was a drop in the bucket, but I will try to get a nice military engineer corps ever game now.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  17. agonistes

Well, that's good to know.

I was wondering if you could lose a city a sea levels rising.

18. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I'm still not sure about what I think of global warming as a game mechanic. I mean, points to them for having the nerve to include it, despite the so-called "controversy." I'm just not so sure it's that fun or something I want in the game.

19. Balerune

Balerune Prince

They should hire you in the US government. I like your vision. ;)

Jewman likes this.
  20. agonistes

That's a frigate, son. Pretty healthy spot to build one, imo.

Fluphen Azine likes this.