1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

8 National Parks, 4 Jesus-charged Seaside Resorts (coastal appeal was meh), 10 Ski Resorts and counting. Alas, I disabled CV in this game because I'm going for Diplo...

...and Diplo Victory still nowhere in sight. I have to research Global Warming mitigation, because it's the only remaining policy before the bottleneck. I am building GDR out of boredom (and because I only have +3 Uranium in my entire empire...).

Thank God Seasteed is a leaf tech, and Statue of Liberty is still available. Though I don't expect it to last long with Phoenicia in the game...

The WC timer is way too long, can we agree on this? 30 turns on Standard and 25 on Quick is a slog... In Civ 5 the time between sessions actually reduced over time, getting to as low as 10 turns. I am surprised they didn't do the same with the current iteration.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I found it funny yet weird at the same time that I won a Nobel Peace Prize while in the middle of conquering several cities and at war with multiple people.
    Yet, I make so much gold as Mali I don't care how much I give them for the Diplo Favor. :lol:

And I don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere but going through the game files it seems Dido's preferred religion is Judaism, though ahistorical.

Phoenix1595 and ChocolateShake like this.
  3. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

Just reading everything and had planned to go for a diplo with Canada. Starting to rethink it now because if it takes so much longer than other victories I'll just end up getting bored trying. Clicking next turn over and over to get to the world congress is not my idea of a good time

footslogger likes this.
  4. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Does the Loyalty boost from Govenors only kick in once they're established now? Prior to GS you got the Loyalty boost as soon as you mmoved the Governor to the new city, so Victor was no faster than any other Governor to give you extra Loyalty.

5. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Nope, it's still immediate. But his bonuses, including the loyalty ones, kick in when he is established.

WillowBrook and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  6. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I know a certain recent noble peace prize winner who bombed several countries to smithereens and no comment was passed by most of the media on this irony. So, it's not exactly untrue to life, even if rare.

7. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

It's extra weird when she invokes Moloch in denouncing you.

Zaarin and Phoenix1595 like this.
  8. nzcamel

While being Jewish... :eek: :lol:

9. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

Just ran into a fairly annoying bug.

Was playing as Mali, and was in the middle of a free inquiry fueled golden age when a sandstorm destroyed pretty much all of my commercial districts (don't remember the name of unique district). I repaired the hubs but didn't get the science boost from them, essentially wasting the golden age (along with destroying my economy and about half my population).

10. darkace77450

darkace77450 King

With era score from settling on flood plains and rebuilding after disasters, I'm finding it harder than ever to achieve Dark Ages.

11. Eva-kun

Eva-kun Chieftain

I'm happy AI turn time is dramatically down. I'm being on an enormous map, mod for larger size, AI turns breeze through.

Elhoim, Kjimmet, AriochIV and 3 others like this.
  12. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

The Casa for some reason had a multiple turn delay for me, but it changed less than 10 turns (I believe) later. I couldn't tell you why there's a delay, but it ultimately makes the correction.

13. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

Anyone else disappointed that the coal, oil and nuclear plant doesn't stack with each other? Also, I'm a dirt climate change denier in Civ VI. That's my destiny. The world can drown on the consequences of my sins! I'm suzerain of Valletta and I know how to use it!!

14. spfun

spfun King

I played 4 games and keep getting CV by accident in the 1600's... Its only Emperor but i put Pericles in. Just so easy to CV as builder.

Uninstalled for now, already bored. Loved all iterations of civ inc offshoots until Beyond Earth and now Civ 6. They don't make em like they used too, that's for damn sure...

15. nzcamel

The scores t achieve normal and golden all need a rework still imho.

16. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

All of which reminds me of the old saying:

"A language is just a Dialect with an Army."

Meluhhan, bbbt, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  17. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Coming towards the end of my game, or so I thought. Hitting 1900, and the AI hasn't made substantial progress towards any victory other than space and it seemed I was a World Congress vote away from victory.

Then, much to my surprise, the AIs not only refused point blank to trade diplomatic favour, but all successfully voted to cost me a victory point - 42 votes against to my 13 in favour of giving me the final two points. I sorely regret missing on a couple of the aid emergencies now (one solely because I forgot to add some extra gold to overtake Lautaro on the turn it finished). Well done to the AI for that one.

Still, there will be more sessions to come and I can probably win the climate gameshow (I have a couple of coal plants but no actual coal left, and I'm in the midst of replacing one with a hydroelectric dam). I'm also a short stab away from first place for culture thanks to the success of Cool Atlas and Unexplained Continents (other civs got all the best band names - Frightened Horses should be an actual real band, and nothing beats Buffalo Buffalo). Though no one's anywhere close to getting a culture victory, which is very unusual for this game stage on Deity.

All told, it's been a pretty good game - probably the hardest early game I've ever had in Civ VI thanks to unending wars eating up most of the first 200 turns. Though it's settled into Civ's familiar hyper-realism of civs denouncing evil Swedes' deeds, Alexander spending several millennia warning people not to interfere with his Short Life of Glory, and most improbably of all America actually succeeding in getting Congress to vote in favour of Border Control.

I do like the diplomatic favour buff to America - the civ's notoriously anonymous but now it really feels like an American civ, throwing its diplomatic weight around, buying its way to victory by funding international aid programmes, and being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize while starting wars.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Depravo likes this.
  18. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

A couple of great person questions.

I no longer see how many turns left till i earn the great person. I jusr see how much i earned and how much i need. Is this a change everyone has or some kind of legacy from a mod i had installed?

Tbh if its a firaxis change its pretty dumb. A quick view of all the ai turns left is far better than having to do the maths in my head:(

Second question, now i can see how much each gp costs i have noticed some are more expensive than others. Was this always the case? I missed getting newton for the first time because i spent over 1000 gp points on the scientist before him. Then he popped for about 500 points and the ai grabbed him. It sort of looks like the first gs of each era costs more than the others. This seems new to me? Is it? Has any wiki got a list of the gs and their costs? I dont want to miss einstein too :(

19. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Quite some languages "get a pass" in Spain, which has multiple official languages and some more that are spoken: Catalan, Aranese, Galician, Basque, Asturleonese & Aragonese are all official languages in some parts of the countries. Spain just isn't as centralized and culturally unified as France or Britain. Although, if you go to the French départment of Languedoc-Rousillon, everything will be in French and Catalan as well.

Zaarin and nzcamel like this.
  20. teakbois

teakbois Prince

Incas can get some stupid large cities. Cusco was pop 42 at the end of the game (turn 290ish). Internal trade routes were getting 13-15 food.

Also I actually like new science victory. I of course had 0 Aluminum but other AIs were happy to take my gold and favor for it. And its the most Ive played with the power mechanic trying to get the extra 5 power for the speed boosts. once you build a few of each it goes by fast.