1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 14, 2019.

1. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

They have more than that. There's a pack (lance?) of four of them roaming around near Zulu territory, though even when they were at war with the Zulu and three of them next to Ulundi they didn't attack it.

Siptah likes this.
  2. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

I'm keeping my OA Museums and I have the Queen's Bibliotheque themed (every other building is empty aside from Relics for faith), it's a matter of honor to use Sweden's unique stuff. It's my way of saying "screw you, game! I'm doing it!". That's also a lot of culture to give up on, so I would get rid of it only in case my tourism start to really get out of control. So far I have around 600 tourism, it´s manageable.

George Abitbol and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  3. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

They may have been waiting for a catapult to arrive.

Pietato likes this.
  4. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

I like that DV takes longer to win, to be honest. I don't like to spend all this time sitting on top of a pile of favors that does nothing. What I think DV needs:

• DV is ironically the victory where you will avoid using the world congress effectively, because diplo favor is your win condition, so you can't waste it. Idk how that would be done but it would be nice to feel free to spend favors on other matters more freely;
    • DV need to rely less on winning the congress vote and more on doing diplomatic stuff. I had one aid emergency my whole game and didn't get any other emergency or scored competition that give me points. For me it can take longer to win but it need to feel more active, not just pile up favors and wait;
    • Would be nice to have more ways to "invest" your favors on something that can potentially give a positive return, so the favors don't just stay there gathering virtual dust. Let our favors go out into the world and make more favors;
    • A mechanic that let you call a special session later to vote for diplo points would be nice, I just don't know how that would be done. If you're one vote from winning, sitting on a pile of favors and just waiting for your inevitable victory, would be nice to be able to do something to force that session to happen earlier and just close your victory.

Sagax likes this.
  5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Has anyone determined if the AI targeting neighborhoods with spies is still a thing or if they go after Dams now too?

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

My skirmisher was killed by a dust storm. How bad can a dust storm be to kill someone? I've never seen one.

7. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Prince

I've noticed that my neighborhoods are almost never targeted anymore, which is great. The only thing I noticed the AI going for was money.

8. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

My understanding is that they are incredibly deadly if you aren't sheltered, or at least prepared with a makeshift one.

bbbt likes this.
  9. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

No, not liberated. Possibly in hot contention though.

So, humorously, civ's send a bunch of envoys to contend for the CS, which causes it impinge on my tile ownership, at which point I get annoyed and conquer the CS outright. Bye-bye army of envoys.

Didn't happen this time (I'm in a level-three economic alliance with Pericles, so the two-tile loss isn't worth losing Hong Kong), but I can see that happening easily enough.

10. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

I have: southwestern Oklahoma every single springtime I was there, there would be at least one 100 kph windstorm, with the entire horizon brown with blown dust and visibility in the storm at 10 feet or less.
    The deadly part is that all that flying dust creates electrical storms as well - lightning is a component of the storms. Every storm would be accompanied by a loss of livestock caught in the open, and sometimes small herds all killed by a single powerful lightning strike.

Jkchart, Stilgar08, bbbt and 4 others like this.
  11. Melliores

Melliores Chieftain

@Disgustipated
    A dust storm in Khartoum, the capital of Sudan, on the outskirts of Sahara :

Bear in mind, that is a pretty tame one. If you are deep in the desert and have nowhere to hide, you will be buried alive and suffocate from all the sand.

bbbt, Boris Gudenuf, Krajzen and 3 others like this.
  12. Eagle Pursuit

I'm trying out the Maori now and it seems like starting with military units is a high priority (on continents map) because you aren't going to be able to settle additional cities around your capital without killing neighbors to do it.

Pietato likes this.
  13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Somehow I doubt that. I live in the desert, I know what one is. Though we don't get them often. Generally the wind has to come from the SouthEast (almost unheard of here) to bring in a dust storm from Arizona. Though I've seen them come from the North.

Regardless, it just took 2 turns to kill my skirmisher. I just moved in the wrong direction.

There's supposed to be a way to tell which direction storms are heading in, how do you do that?

14. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I got back into my Phoenicia game today, and now I'm into the Modern Era I've had a chance to give railways and rock bands a spin. One band was named Dido, but she waved her White Flag almost immediately, and the other was called Beirut. The latter's indie charm achieved some success tanking Pericles' culture lead. I even built a highly non functional canal into a lake. It looks nice, and might even give my trade routes a boost.

I've managed to get a few Diplo Victory points, and will probably aim for that out of novelty, even if Jayavarman snagged the two points by one vote in the latest round of elections.

My hundred-years-war with Scotland is over, and I finally have a solid grasp on Stirling and Aberdeen after some nightmarish Loyalty issues. Robert has been doing quite well, and has high population cities left, with very high defenses (in the 90s) after he beelined Chemistry and AT units. This made t hard to hold onto my new colonies with too few units. I've got to Advanced Flight now, so will soon bomb him into final submission. He's not been bad at keeping units up to date, but anti-air will probably be something the AI neglects.

Strategic resources are a lot more interesting now, and fortunately (unlike some others) I have managed to secure sources of each through colonies or conquests.

In addition to what others have said above, there were very severe dust storms last year in India, killing over a hundred people: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-43999497.

15. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I don't think you live in the same kinda desert.

Ondolindë likes this.
  16. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

Did you build Petra? You should build Petra.

Ondolindë, Elhoim, Meluhhan and 9 others like this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

I think the notification has a sentence about approximately which way the storm is traveling. However, I have seen storms move the opposite direction from the way it said.

18. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

Spies flocking to Neighborhoods has always been a rarity in my games. They always prioritize my Commercial districts instead, GS included. Well, I’m a gold hoarder, so can’t blame them.

19. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Yep, it's weird. If we're going to count "pagan cousins of monotheistic religions," Tomyris should favor Zoroastrianism. :p

I've happily had neither in my two games since GS, and I've certainly been building both Neighborhoods and Dams.

In the notification that pops up it tells you which direction it's heading. NB I've seen it be wrong, so... :p

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  20. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I was wondering what implicit assumptions you are making here regarding having any sense whatsoever--that everyone will have the means to buy spaceports and that everyone will have the means to buy builders all the time. I guess you're assuming a never-ending golden age with Monumentality, and maxing out Reyna to be able to buy districts outright?

For certain. I think everyone besides Firaxis saw this coming.