[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

This is a bit wrong
upload_2019-2-19_22-48-17.png

The production bonus applies only once to each city within 6 tiles, but the power ought to apply if the city is still underpowered. If not, that's dumb.

The power works differently, it seems to be more similar to how amenities works, being a dynamic system that react to circumstance. My cities have oil and nuclear. In some turns it's getting energy from oil, then I start to lose oil because I don't have enough per turn. Next turn it's getting energy from nuclear. It switch between one and the other depending on resources available. It seems to also prioritize clean energy, if any is available, which would "turn off" your plant if every city in range is auto sufficient with clean energy.

This is a bit wrong
Shhhhhhh! The AI is finally willing to offer fair prices for things; don't discourage it. :p EDIT: Oh, I see. Your post is about the offer being blocked by open borders. That is odd.

Anyone know Kilimanjaro has changed ... @AriochIV ?
View attachment 518461

Timely: I started a game last night and 'smoking Klimanjaro' showed up about 8 tiles out from my capital. Something of a shock, but since it isn't likely to move my way, I can ignore it until I want to use it.

Now this, to me, is inconsistent of Firaxis: while one of Kilis' three caldera is considered 'dormant' and could erupt, its last eruption was 150 - 200,000 years ago, so it's a stretch; required, I suppose, to get an active African volcano.

But then, why leave out Mount Mazama, which could be a 'one off' volcano that Blows Up and produces Crater Lake Natural Wonder, as it did a mere 7700 years ago? (plus or minus a century or two)

Dynamic Natural Wonders for Civ VI or ExPac 3?

Has anyone else had the fun of leveraging the Fez City-State yet?

Each time you convert a city for the first time earn 20 Science per Population of that city.

I was just kind of meandering through my Mali game, doing the typical things you'd probably expect, when I found this in about the last blank spot on the map in the Renaissance. I finally have a plan. 10-12 pop cities look pretty tempting of a use for all my faith . . .

Last edited:
I want to add that I was intrigued to see that I got more yields out of a random volcano then I got out of Kilimanjaro. Even if it's a random chance that that happened, it was a bit surprising and felt wrong.

Has anyone else had the fun of leveraging the Fez City-State yet?

I was just kind of meandering through my Mali game, doing the typical things you'd probably expect, when I found this in about the last blank spot on the map in the Renaissance. I finally have a plan. 10-12 pop cities look pretty tempting of a use for all my faith . . .

Fez almost turned my last Mali game into a science victory. It was nuts.

Won on Immortal today after testing the water at Emperor for 2 games. I agree that the AI is pretty bad still. Here is the AI's progress on Science victory 7 turns before I won a Culture victory:

AI Science.jpg

No Civ had even got to the third part of the Science victory. I had little challenge at Culture, here is my Culture victory progress screen 4 turns before victory:

AI Culture.jpg

As you can see not much competition at all. I can build all the good Industrial era wonders with ease; Hermitage, Eiffel Tower, Cristo Redentor, Broadway, Bolshoi Theatre, etc. The same happened in my Culture game with Canada. (that was on Emperor)

Last edited:
In a small sample size (1 game), the AI was much slower in both tech and civics trees than they usually are at my preferred game settings. It could obviously be a coincidence, but I'm wondering if they're being slowed down by natural disasters.

Beat the game with French Eleanor today, absorbed my closes neighbour Inca completely during the renaissance by moving my great works to the border. Managed to get a pretty awesome dual lake Huey Teocalli + Auckland + Fisheries combo in place as well, with a canal leading out to the ocean.

I re-roll a lot, I really want to get starts with everything I want, so I see plenty of start locations. Since GS I've noticed a lot of starts with really bunched up bonuses luxuries. Example:

I"ve seen ones like this but with stone or banana or wheat as well. I'm sure the map generation algorithm has changed a bit. My settings are all standard except with legendary start on (which I used in R&F as well without any of this kind of start) and the fact I'm using 10 players on a 12 person map (again, my usual MO)

Sadly no geothermal for muh baths! REROLL

Edit: Okay here's the mandatory pun, I'm HUNGARY for rice. ha ha ha! i'm great!

So, even Canada can make boneheaded DoWs against you (although mainly in joint war form, I would imagine). Canada (an all around middling civ with a middling military) joined with Macedon (the undisputed weakest civ with literally no military, comprised of a 9 pop city (fairly small) and a 2 pop city and already at war and losing cities to a stronger neighbor) to attack me (the strongest civ with the strongest military). I let my four allies completely destroy Macedon (which then loyalty flipped to me) and I waited to peace out with Canada as they fought a protracted war with the three allies of mine on their border (which lasted long after I negotiated a white peace).

Here's a weird thing that happened.

I declared war on Brazil. Pedro retaliates by declaring war on Buenos Aires and I get some grievances for it. But, uh... Buenos Aires wasn't my suzerain. I had just 1 envoy there.

I declared war on Brazil. Pedro retaliates by declaring war on Buenos Aires and I get some grievances for it. But, uh... Buenos Aires wasn't my suzerain. I had just 1 envoy there.

I've gotten greivances for people DOWing CS's I only had 1 envoy to as well. Maybe that's enough now if there is no suzerain? Did Buenos AIres have one?

I think you will generate grievances as long as you are friendly with the aggrieved. Same happens when other civs generate grievances if you attack their friend.

I've gotten greivances for people DOWing CS's I only had 1 envoy to as well. Maybe that's enough now if there is no suzerain? Did Buenos AIres have one?

No. I may have been the only player with an envoy there. It just seemed weird to me that the grievances notification specifically said Pedro declared on Buenos Aires (which I barely have a formal relationship with) because I declared on him.

PS. Lautaro isn't as humble as we were lead to believe. He named the closest volcano to his capital after himself.

Top Bottom