[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

I was wondering what implicit assumptions you are making here regarding having any sense whatsoever
oh cmon.... you can build a spaceport in 20-50 turns with production or chop it in in one turn... "any sense whatsoever"? really?
the means to buy builders all the time
NO, you do not buy builders all the time, you carefully plan what you need and you build the builder if need be to save the time later, it is called forward planning and strategy. However I am not sure just how much money you are making with deals because you can get a lot of money without any trade routes at all. You can win victory conditions without a commercial hub.
the means to buy spaceports
It is called Big Ben and if need be Public Transport... if you follow the really fast good players they spend 0 gold for a long time and then build big ben to double that just before they get the spaceport, it is called forward planning and strategy. Half a spaceport in gold is not that much to save before Big ben, it is more trickier finding the right place for big ben while you are doing 20 other bits of forward planning.

Look I know you are cross that the game has rules that mean that production is not king but please do not take it out on me that you prefer to play production (which I am 100% fine with) but do not say in a thread that production is king or you will get back valid arguments. This forward planning and strategy we find is very challenging and very fun, each to their own.

As it is I often do not play that way, I like to take my time...but it is the right argument
No you do not need 1 golden age, you can do it without monumentality altogether... you do need to max out Reyna... you need to tier 4 her but not max her... you also ideally need to tier 4 Pingala but you have the promotions and you have to do something with them... why not do the thing that best suits the victory you need? I max neither of them out for an RV.

Last edited:
It was really the Japanese defences the second time stopping the landing and the Mongol stupidly hanging around at sea until the inevitable typhoon came.

I 100% agree with you though... I lost half an army fighting along a river ... so did the opposition but it did stop my attack for a bit. I loved it.

I ran from a tornado last night during hostilities with Russia.

oh cmon.... you can build a spaceport in 20-50 turns with production or chop it in in one turn... "any sense whatsoever"? really?
Well, those were your choice of words I was paraphrasing. I was just asking what your implicit assumptions are. It seems that rolled into those are Big Ben and Public Transport, and having enough of a faith engine to buy builders during a golden age.

Look I know you are cross that the game has rules that mean that production is not king but please do not take it out on me that you prefer to play production (which I am 100% fine with) but do not say in a thread that production is king or you will get back valid arguments. This forward planning and strategy we find is very challenging and very fun, each to their own.
Your reaction is rather disproportionately defensive to my query, so I guess you're confusing me with someone else. At any rate, I was just curious about filling in the blanks as to what you take for given with the preceding assertions. I generally don't try to play a different game than the AI is playing, so until I see the AI doing something, I tend not to do it. I don't give gifts, for instance, or build aircraft. Looks like the AI chops, since they often have their lands stripped of trees. But I imagine to chop out 20-50 turns of spaceport in one turn, you must amass builders in a nest of unapped forests.

As I suspected, I'm making more money with Phoenicia than I did with Mali at this stage of the game. I'm buying things left and right with Dido. The only thing they don't have on the Mali is the faith buying game. Why play Mali when you can just play Phoenicia instead? :) Of course my map is well suited to her style of play- archipelago. But I tried to get a map well suited to Mali as well.

and having enough of a faith engine to buy builders during a golden age.
no need for monumentality or golden ages but if you are attacking then you will likely get at least one at some stage and monumentality is powerful
you must amass builders in a nest of unapped forests.
either that or buy it with gold, you have a choice. The third choice is to hard build it but you add lots of extra turns to your game.

They do sort of, if you use different types in nearby cities.

Are you sure? I looked on my cities, it only show being affected by one. I tried coal with oil and oil with nuclear. It seems to get the highest production and treat the 3 buildings as if it was the same. I'll take a screenshot later.

I don't really know where to post this, so I'll drop it here. I've just got myself involved in an almost unanimous emergency against the vilest villain of the world Genghis, which conveniently uncovered the entire map for me.
The game is on Immortal. Just look at the legendary AI Maori capital:
Spoiler :
They will eventually drown too

@MrRadar I'm on game three, and in two of those three games the Maori have ended up in Snow or Tundra. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. :lol:

One can only assume the lighthouse is there to warn against sailing off the face of the Earth.
Either that or it was commissioned by Kupe's Administration as a public project to mitigate depressive moods among the population.

@MrRadar I'm on game three, and in two of those three games the Maori have ended up in Snow or Tundra. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. :lol:
Nah, the funny prevails :lol:
I was all for going military but clean environmentally this game, but now, I think, I'm going to liberate the Maori city from the Mongols - the emergency was all about it, and then imma build a helluvalot of IZs with Coal Plants. Need to have 'nough of production to raise up an army to be ready to protect my staunchest ally Kupe at all times, ain't I?

Are you sure? I looked on my cities, it only show being affected by one. I tried coal with oil and oil with nuclear. It seems to get the highest production and treat the 3 buildings as if it was the same. I'll take a screenshot later.
The production bonus applies only once to each city within 6 tiles, but the power ought to apply if the city is still underpowered. If not, that's dumb.

Played a game last night. Is it me, or does it all feel buggy and unfinished. Why are we still seeing basic game things getting broken in the second expansion? The World Congress - just appears out of no where like a tacky annoying add on, instead of a major event in world history... I keep hoping for better, but if I'm going to be honest, this entire games issue is that it lacks synergy and immersion. Civ 5, for all its flaws, had that. Great works felt.. well great when you got them. As did great people... and when you got to the world congress and ideologies... you felt a shift in the game. The civ's also had great synergy between their UA's, UU's and the game flow itself. What ever that factor is, its completely lacking right now - IMO. The only thing that is really better is how world wonders are handled - I hated how in Civ5 they were so underwhelming. Besides that... I'm concerned if any patch is going to get this game where it finally needs to be, at this point.

Anyone know Kilimanjaro has changed ... @AriochIV ?
upload_2019-2-19_22-22-56.png

Top Bottom