[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

The grievances system is interesting. I like that you can conquer parts of enemy civs in defensive wars without the rest of the world hating you until the end of time. One strange part is that as you conquer a civ, everyone gets angrier and angrier, until you wipe out the civ, there's no more negative modifier for grievances against another player, and suddenly everyone is happy again?

What? For me it's the opposite, wipeing a civ adds a ton of grievances on all civs against me. Capturing the last city of a civ is like -150 grievances with everybody

What? For me it's the opposite, wipeing a civ adds a ton of grievances on all civs against me. Capturing the last city of a civ is like -150 grievances with everybody

Me as well. I took a capital, no one batted an eye. I took the final city and they all freak out.

Yep. You still get a stack of grievances (as you should) for wiping out a civ.

I think somebody mentioned this before, but I'm not getting Huey Teocalli bonus in Lake Retba. I'm about 95% sure you WOULD get it in the Dead Sea pre-GS. I assume Retba acts the same

Last edited:
I killed Dido (3 cities), all 3 in the early classical era. I had met 2 other civs. They went from friendly to neutral, and back to friendly within about 10 turns.

That's the ancient/classical era for you, people are much more tolerant of warmongering. You can check out @Cakeathon 's useful guide here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/grievances-guide.642164/

Long story short is that grievances decay by 8 per turn back then, and the relationship modifier is only 10% of the difference in grievances anyway.

Just finished my first domination victory standart/deity as the ottomans. They are really cool to play and their unique governor really speed up conquest.
Also their unique privateer is amazing. I didn't get to use the 50% production boost on siege units much in my game, but the loyalty and population boost on conquest is really strong.
Spoiler :

here some observations from my game:
The black marketeer promotion from magnus is still applied to the city even after you moved magnus away making you able to spam a lot of units. (I had like 30 coursers)
Seem like some cities of the ai are really weak on garrison strength?
You can still produce older units if you are lacking strategic ressource kind of like in rise and fall.

Rock Bands are kind of fun but are very confusing. I'm not sure if I'm helping or hurting!
You certainly are, just going into detail on them now in another thread. Even if your rock band dies it will give you a point toward victory if you targeted your main CV rival. If your bands survive and start playing wonders you can shave 5-10 turns off with each concert, quite scary.

I took the final city and they all freak out.
Serves you right, choose a last city to not take and let it flip. Make sure it is low pop with pillaged luxuries and you will be fine.

Serves you right, choose a last city to not take and let it flip. Make sure it is low pop with pillaged luxuries and you will be fine.

I could've done that and it will certainly be my strategy going forward.

I think the notification has a sentence about approximately which way the storm is traveling. However, I have seen storms move the opposite direction from the way it said.

Yep, it's weird. If we're going to count "pagan cousins of monotheistic religions," Tomyris should favor Zoroastrianism. :p

I've happily had neither in my two games since GS, and I've certainly been building both Neighborhoods and Dams.

In the notification that pops up it tells you which direction it's heading. NB I've seen it be wrong, so... :p

As far as I know, weather forecasting is not an exact science.

No doubt it's been mentioned already (not up to checking by reading the whole thread!), but waaay too many mountains. It's like an obstacle course on most maps.

The black marketeer promotion from magnus is still applied to the city even after you moved magnus away
Yes, I can confirm that. What he teaches the city, the city cannot unlearn :)
Another bug/exploit.

You can still produce older units if you are lacking strategic ressource kind of like in rise and fall.
And this leads to an incredibly annoying development, when you wait for the necessary quantity for an upgrade of an existing promoted unit, decide to build another swordsman in the meanwhile, niter hits 20 and oops, your city requisitioned it from under your nose and now is building a musketman instead of the swordsman, and you are smashing that city's mayor into the wall howling "Give me back my niter, you @#$$#&^@#!

Lowkey I wish Dido still had a high % chance to betray you in this game like in Civ 5. Yeah, she was a pain, but it gave her a unique AI personality lol.

It seems Diplo Victory is something that is nigh impossible on Deity. It takes way too long and you have to get the chips fall in place for it to occur. I tried hard to win a diplo win on deity as Hungary but I risked letting Shaka get a SV so I had to bum rush him with my army. They should quicken the WC meets with the ages and make DV a possibility before T290/T300(the average number of turns a deity game runs before the AI gets a SV). Also Diplo is poorly designed. DoWing and taking cities and getting emergencies seems to be the way to get tons of Diplo Favours. It seems quite ironic that the biggest warmonger wins by getting the Diplo favours from emergencies.

Won a diplomatic victory my first playthrough of GS with Canada on Emperor. Was almost done with the science victory too.

I've now restarted about 15 games with Hungary on Immortal. I keep getting runaway civs or backstabbing surprise attack civs that wipe me out. Particularly enjoying the surprise war civs. I still think Civ6 has some yield imbalances that allow for culture or science runaway (it's never me, it's always the AI!). I've turned it down to Emperor and am having a pretty good time into the industrial era. I'm pretty much the world super power right now but I did have a great 30 turn emergency declared against me by the whole world in the late medieval/early renaissance. They really put the pressure on retaking a capital I took and it was a very enjoyable experience.

No bugs so far, nothing too crazy except for a few runaway civs in my immortal attempts. The performance improvements are greatly appreciated. Overall with a balance patch or two and some sci/tech pacing mods I think this is going to be a great experience for quite some time to come.

Do you guys really think the new map gen is a blessing? I find my small/standard pangeas are most often horrible mountain labyrints of death with the AI forward settling unattackable choke points and often no possible good setup for inter city district planning and an efficent power grid.

I'm not really sure that I like he talks like some mad poster, but his hand gestures and animation is pretty hilarious when he's mad

Top Bottom