[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Do you guys really think the new map gen is a blessing? I find my small/standard pangeas are most often horrible mountain labyrints of death with the AI forward settling unattackable choke points and often no possible good setup for inter city district planning and an efficent power grid.

It varies a lot for me honestly. Generally speaking I find the maps to be much more interesting and fun to play than before GS but then sometimes you get those maps that you mention where it's just a pain to navigate through mountains and you don't really have the space to do anything. That's when 1upt really is a pain, when there are too many units and too many passes to move comfortably. But most of the time the maps feel fine to me.

I haven't played any Pangea as of yet though, I've only played Continents.

I would also like to add that the Trade mechanics is completely broken in Civ 6 GS. You can get 1 Nitre for 6 gold and sell 1 coal for 200 gold. When you increase the amount the AI refuses to trade with you. Both of these triviliaze the game. The first ensures you never have to worry about lack of Iron/Nitre as getting it is quite easy. The second gives you enough cash to buy everything. I guess I will start a new thread to explain it a bit better.

I would also like to add that the Trade mechanics is completely broken in Civ 6 GS. You can get 1 Nitre for 6 gold and sell 1 coal for 200 gold. When you increase the amount the AI refuses to trade with you. Both of these triviliaze the game. The first ensures you never have to worry about lack of Iron/Nitre as getting it is quite easy. The second gives you enough cash to buy everything. I guess I will start a new thread to explain it a bit better.
Worse: when you select a lux and ask them for their offer, they give you 1 Gold. That’s it. What you have to do, is ask for a clearly unreasonable amount, and then ask them to make it more equitable. THAT will be their actual offering.

I've stopped negotiating with the AI because the trade dynamics are exploitative at the moment. I either accept or decline the offer as given.

Worse: when you select a lux and ask them for their offer, they give you 1 Gold.
This is a few clicks problem I am unhappy with.
I have always done this for example dropping in a Salt and saying how much and they go 6GPT.
now they always go 1 gold... I then suggest 10 GPT and they go, no 6.... extra clicks and I do not consider that extra flavour

I have always done this for example dropping in a Salt and saying how much and they go 6GPT.
now they always go 1 gold... I then suggest 10 GPT and they go, no 6.... extra clicks and I do not consider that extra flavour
Yeah I seem to remember the 1 gold offers being a bug before. Looks like it's back. I suspect they will have trading issues with strategics and 1 gold offers fixed in a patch or two.

Yeah I seem to remember the 1 gold offers being a bug before. Looks like it's back. I suspect they will have trading issues with strategics and 1 gold offers fixed in a patch or two.
Yeah I think there might be a quick patch in a week or so to fix some obvious things, then the typical big "Spring Patch."

As for the climate change it seems to be very non impressive in the only game I played. I think a bit more climate change disasters need to get implemented. Honestly it seems a cosmetic change. Where is the flooding and giant fireball disasters at. I hope they implement stronger climate change consequences.

strong enough actually flip citystates.

You actually flipped a city state? I've never been close, though haven't played Eleanor yet. I keep hearing it's possible, but to me it's still this mythical thing. :)

Seem like some cities of the ai are really weak on garrison strength?

I noticed this in my Ottoman game with Eleanor. I was thinking cities she flipped never increased in garrison strength. Or that's my theory anyways, it was on a different continent, so I have no idea how she ended up with those cities (I doubt she conquered them).

That's personal taste though--I think that makes maps more interesting. I do agree that there seem to be more of them though.

Plus I like to settle my capital near some mountains. Adds some majesty to it.

I killed Dido (3 cities), all 3 in the early classical era. I had met 2 other civs. They went from friendly to neutral, and back to friendly within about 10 turns.

Yep. I wiped Russia early in a marathon game, and while some civs were upset for a short time (Greece dow'd me), it didn't last long. Grievances fade really fast.

I wonder if I might enjoy it more if the grievances never faded - you had to spend diplo points to directly offset them, and/or any diplo points earned through actions also decreased the grievances by the same amount. The rate of the static decrease makes the grievances negligible.

As another example, in a Russia game, I started next to Gandhi, and converted his holy city (and all of his mainland cities for that matter, and roasted his missionaries). Again a marathon game. We were soon again fast friends.

edit: wooo, btw, Fez can be nasty if you are a faith-generating civ.

Last edited:
Incoming justification: this is Eastern market haggling, working as intended!:p

Auckland effected lakes in R&F too
It still does.

It breaks the 4th wall to refer to you as a civ leader. I don't think that's very good.
Some of Kupe's lines are too slang-y for my tastes, but I do love his request to declare friendship: "Hey, there are worse people than you. Can I tell the others you're not a complete jerk?" :lol:

Top Bottom