[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Definitely feels like they need something more (not that I've played a lot with them). Some options:
-extra bonus on tundra tiles (like Russia)
-extra production to districts/buildings/wonders on tundra (like egypt/hungary's bonuses)
-extra food (or some other yield) on tundra farms (like Nubia or Maori bonuses)
-tundra farm culture bomb (like every other civ)

Given how late their other bonuses are, something which can come into play earlier and either make them better builders in the tundra definitely feels deserved.

I know it's not an early-game usable idea, but I think they should get more appeal on Tundra to better facilitate their National Parks.

I have just conquered Istanbul, have not chosen to keep it yet and can make a peace deal which wil spiral it into a nasty occupied state... beware this bug is still present.
The fact that it is their capital and the only choice I have is keep is a bit sill, it should be autokeep
upload_2019-2-22_16-34-13.png

I know it's not an early-game usable idea, but I think they should get more appeal on Tundra to better facilitate their National Parks.

Eagle I think you nailed it. I only have one National Park. I do not have enough appeal to make another one across my 9 cities, only 3 of which are not in tundra mixes.

I might win the game via culture, but this is a King game. The AI will not be so slow on Emp+. Sure I could tighten up my game a bit more, but as it stands right now, diplo might be Canada's best playstyle. If I could have had a few more parks early in the game, I bet it would not be so bad.

Should a catapult at sea really be able to move this fast?
Should any embarked unit move faster than a naval unit, or receive a greater movement enhancement? NO.

I will change my game accordingly after my next game or two!

- how do you value lost citizen?
- did your equation take (increasingly expensive) builders charges for rebuilding completely destroyed improvements into account?
- do you count production loss/growth loss due to destroyed/pillaged improvements?
- what are potentially lost civilian units worth?
- did you count fuel that can be sold/used for units instead of being burned, if the dam is upgraded into a hydroelectric powerplant?
- IMO Lost citizens are hit or miss. If you go wide and have already hit the perfect pop number for the amount of districts you want to construct, then losing 1 citizen (most common loss, I don’t even recall having 2 or more deaths per event) is not a big deal. There is a reason why tall strategy is not that attractive in Civ 6, flat numbers that are not tied to population are that good.
- Repairing tile improvements is free of charge - you can do that infinitely with one Builder.
- “Potentially lost civilian units” - more like “units you decided to put on the risky floodplain tiles, while being fully aware of the risk the moment those tiles were shown to you”
- Hydroelectric dams do NOT provide any unit resources. Only energy, which is used only by buildings. And energy can be obtained by other means.

I think Ski Resorts should give you some gold like Seaside resorts, or perhaps amenities

Edit: Actually they do give an amenity, oops

SeaSteads are ... unsatisfying. They should have been a district.
It took me two games to realize is because there's a UI bug affecting some improvements where they show the total tile yield instead of just the improvement yield when you mouse over the builder action, but-
Seasteads not only get +1 prod per fishing boat, they GIVE +1 prod to fishing boats. Yep. So you can have +6 production fishies. (+9 with auckland & god of the sea.)
This even makes some coastal flooding net positive since you can get more of those delicious geodesics up.

Seasteads are soooooo late, though.
If you punish yourself and go for diplo victory you'll have plenty of time to enjoy them...
It is really too bad. The future era improvements make coastal cities borderline OP - its just so much yield, especially production.

It is my opinion that it's not diplomatic victory being too slow that is the problem, but rather science and (especially) culture victories are too fast, while the AI needs staggered bonuses to remain relevant into the later game.

It is my opinion that it's not diplomatic victory being too slow that is the problem, but rather science and (especially) culture victories are too fast, while the AI needs staggered bonuses to remain relevant into the later game.

How though to slow down cultural victory? Simply nerf the tourism from great works?

Love the way they say these can use production at the bottom.
upload_2019-2-22_19-39-16.png

I have just got Rock bands and am going to test a theory I have not been able to until now
All I have as tourism at this stage is wonders... So I am going to spam rock bands and just attack Monty with them.
If I get over the highest domestic tourists I do not believe I will win, I strongly believe I have to get tourism over all civs just like in V and all the right signs are there... we just have not been able to provie it until we have a really directed attack like rock bands.
upload_2019-2-22_19-40-54.png

First Batch ready
upload_2019-2-22_19-46-58.png

How though to slow down cultural victory? Simply nerf the tourism from great works?
Perhaps buff culture's domestic tourism generation, and/or allow domestic culture rock band performances.

It is my opinion that it's not diplomatic victory being too slow that is the problem, but rather science and (especially) culture victories are too fast.
Why not both? Quoting myself from the other thread:

I won my DipV on Turn 285/330 (Quick speed), by winning every DipV vote that was presented and completing the leaf-tech Seasteed (also Carbon Recapture earlier on, because it was not a leaf civic). The WC interval on Quick is every 25 turns - meaning if I hadn't won on Turn 285, I would've had only one more WC round, on Turn 310, to grab the votes before Score Victory kicked in. How does that makes sense?

Top Bottom