1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 14, 2019.

1. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Or increase the threshold to earn foreign tourists. Probably need to double it. I wonder if it can be modded. :think:

But the civic/tech pace also needs to slow down. I'm still playing my first GS game. I'm not sure if I can play another at the default pace.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  2. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Mainly because I want users to be actively engaged in the late game, and diplomatic victory by it's nature is a later game victory. I wouldn't mind faster world congresses, but too much faster makes it again easier to simply finish early.

With regard to your Quick speed balance concerns, 25 turns on Quick vs 30 on Standard seems a bad conversion on its own. That should be at least modified to 20, and I'm not sure why they chose 25 in the first place. Quick is supposed to be 33% faster. Subsequently, Online should be 15 turns, as a double speed game.

3. Deggial

Deggial Chieftain

It's not about possible districts. It's about mines/lumber mills that can't be worked any more until the population re-grew. If we compare production for IZ and dam, they matter.

At least in my games, some of my farms got destroyed completely and were not just pillaged.

I can't argue about that. But with a dam, there isn't even the danger. And sometimes, moving around and stopping on "dangerous ground" is simply necessary. (For example, if you want to cross the river without bridge.)

Gosh! Later units do use the same fuel as power plants and power plants are necessary, if you haven't build dams (or other regenerative energy, which comes very late in the game.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  4. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

There is more to that. Closer to the end game, you literally have nothing else to do. You have optimized your districts, the peaceful expansion comes to a halt, you have built almost everything that makes sense. CV at this point (if it gets to this point) is about proactive rock band spam. SV is about finishing the space projects and shooting lasers at your ship. Dull, but this is still better than doing pretty much nothing while stockpiling the favor and maybe running the same carbon project in the few IZs that you have. When people complain that they could have won CV long time ago, it’s not just about the speed of CV. It’s also the fact that you have run out of options to keep yourself engaged while waiting for the next WC session. Add in a few vote-brigading by AIs, at which point one starts to ask: If it tries to drag for so long, why not just go for the Score Victory?

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

If you want to lengthen it, just cheapen foreign tourists by changing the parameter to 300 from 200. They already did this in R&F changing it from 150 to 200

6. MrRadar

MrRadar Chieftain

I think there's another strat resource related bug.

My infantry suffers oil shortage where there is none:
    Spoiler :

My arty feels the same under similar conditions:
    Spoiler :

And my other arty corps is just fine on the same turn:
    Spoiler :

The only difference was the upgrade time: first two units were upgraded next turn after I connected my first oil resource for 3 oil. I upgraded two units and next turn they both showed shortage, as the upgrade used 2 oil, and there was only 1 remaining in reserve for the next turn. Since then I've connected multiple resources and I have positive oil balance, but this shortage for those two specific units only stuck to them and persists.

Victoria likes this.
  7. Victoria

Am surprised.... I just got a message saying my culture is dominant over the cree... so my theory is out of the door and Kupe can win a Rock Band culture victory, will see in a few turns
    upload_2019-2-22_21-16-23.png

Won with a big push, spot which country I played all my concerts in... and consider when I started playing he was on 89 domestic tourists
    upload_2019-2-22_21-28-27.png

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2019
  8. StrideColossus

StrideColossus Chieftain

9. Victoria

Can you make sure you post this as a bug in the bug pages, ideally the 2k bug pages... that way it will be dealt with, no other way is guaranteed... and that is a nasty one. Check after restarting the game before posting.

10. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

Well.... you said it yourself it’s Monty:p

Why did his tourists decrease, though?

11. Brutus2

Brutus2 Chieftain

Is it better to wait for a group of bands and send them all together? In all my games so far I have sent bands as I buy them to the civ with the highest domestic tourism and my visiting tourists from that civ increases but their domestic tourists continues to increase as well. I have never seen domestic drop like the 89 to 54 you have there.

12. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

Ok, I finally found the time to share my impressions. I am enjoying the game, but slightly worried about some of the things being said here. I haven’t gone finished a game yet. I’ve been trying a few Civs up to the Medieval era after finally fixing and issue with game creation.

I truly love the maps. They are absolutely beautiful and more interesting with disasters. They do add personality to the game and definitely help make or break your game more now, I think. I haven’t had map generation issues really. I think there was one time that I didn’t get any desert for Mali and I restarted. Disasters haven’t been a real issue, but I went from 2 to 3 intensity recently so we will see.

Played the Inca first an I absolutely find them so enjoyable. From the music to just how fun all their abilities compliment each other. Love how they can travel through mountains in a second. If only the Fellowship of the a Ring could have done that. But I had a hard time getting a religion with them. I tried three times with them and failed. Maybe it will get easier now that I have more experience with them.

Mali is truly something to behold in deserts. I already loved Nubia because of that and now there’s more to love. I even enjoy the challenge of low production with them because it takes away from normal gameplay. I’m impressed that I was able to build Stonehenge, the Pyramids and the oracle with them. Yes, I did some chopping which I don’t usually do, but different is good.

Then the Maori. I had fun navigating until I found the right spot and in the interim met 8-9 CS, the majority first. I did have to use a mod that gives CS walls because in my first game they were going down like dominoes. I love interacting with them and only rarely and only if I absolutely need them will I conquer any. By the way I love the new colors CS have. They just pop out of the screen differently and I enjoy that. And of course, being able to be the first to circumnavigate the world with the Maori is definitely fun for 5 points.

One minor odd thing I found is that when I am close to a barbarian camp, the spearmen leave the camp one tile in my direction and then return to it in the same turn. I’m calling it the barbarian dance. I mean it would be understandable against the Maori and their Haka dance, but they’ve done it in all three games. Now, barbarians haven’t been a real issue like some have mentioned. I’ve gotten several camps close by regularly, but managed to deal with each without them spamming units overwhelmingly. I play on Emperor and would have wanted more grief from them actually. Regarding Goody Huts, sometimes it took me 20-40 turns to find one which added to the expectation and complicated things as they give certain advantages early on, but maybe it was a random thing which is good.

As for the WC, not much interaction still so I’ll see as I advance each game.

Looking forward to finishing my games and trying other civs soon like Phoenicia and other fun things like canals, new wonders and dams, etc.

Wizard-Bob and Victoria like this.
  13. Victoria

I played the Maori, below is 2 typical cities. Realistic rather than the OP ones you normally see. I only had one temple. This land faith I did not sped and the moment I got to rock bands I had 16,000 faith and so yes , just created them in a couple of waves and sent them out. What I should have done is changed target to the Civ with the highest domestic but was lazy and just attacked Monty. In reality in most games you will not have 16000 faith to spend so you will get them out when you can.
    upload_2019-2-22_22-25-27.png

acluewithout likes this.
  14. MrRadar

MrRadar Chieftain

Persists after restart, reported on 2K. Another account, ugh...

Victoria likes this.
  15. DWilson

That atrocious Panama Canal... Can you move through the side of it where it runs alongside the coast?

16. Victoria

This happened pre GS in certain situations. The classic was a slinger in some trees with a tile of grass/plains between them and the camp. The barb pops out every turn and back in therefore not fortifying.

I started building it because I was bored and had not placed one, it was not finished.... I imagine it will work.
    Question though... is that a 1 tile, 2 tile or 3 tile Panama Canal? I thought they could only be 2 tiles?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Ondolindë likes this.
  17. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

I cannot believe Carl and the QA team thought Maori's marae was even close to balanced. The fact that it applies to improved features like floodplains is just absurd.

The central tile with the big reddish structure is the wonder itself; it places a canal on each side of it if needed to connect. Sometimes it only needs one, sometimes two. I have no idea how it ended up like that.

acluewithout likes this.
  18. DWilson

To add to Sostratus, the Panama Canal is up to 3 tiles. The wonder itself, and one extra tile on either side as needed. It is for this reason you can build a seven tile canal with two cities and the Panama Canal. The tiles layout as such: water - normal canal -city - bonus canal - Panama Canal - bonus canal - city - normal canal - water.

WillowBrook likes this.
  19. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

Valletta's ability to faith buy Flood Barriers is interesting: it seems to price based on the base cost of the barrier, not the actual cost. In other words, you can faith buy a flood barrier for just 200 faith in every city. Who knew!

WillowBrook and Victoria like this.
  20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Apparently, you can build more than one dam per city if the city has multiple rivers with floodplains. I wonder if you can build multiple hydroelectric plants as well and if the Power is cumulative.