[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Just discovered Big Ben now only adds +50 % gold in your treasure.

I think I discovered that in my Mali game after accumulating 25,000 gold and I was a bit disappointed.

And the AI apparently forgets about their nuclear power plants as well. Though Vicky is a bit busy getting pummeled by me. Felt good getting all of Genghis' cities back, and 2 military city states. He was on the ropes, he wouldn't have held out much longer. He had no chance against Victoria. Her navy just decimated him throughout the entire game. The ai is a little better at using ships. Though she sometimes forgets to bring a melee unit or ship to take cities. I almost lost Fez city state to her, but she had no melee unit to take it.

AI Victoria is pretty good I would say, at least this game. I wouldn't have been able to do this without GDR. My modern armor armies were getting hit pretty bad by her units. I lost several of my "regular units", GDR was the only thing that could stand up to her.

Spoiler :

America was militarily effective against other AI in my Canada game. They took cities within a matter of turns in both the early and mid-game, on their own continent and others.

How do you all feel about America now? I don't think they're top tier, but I feel like GS's addition to their CUA was an excellent final touch on putting together a well structured civ to play with. (Meaning they feel good, unlike say Eleanor's England which feels a bit lost and unfocused).

I'm glad America got at least something. Although it's kind of funny that Canada and America are both good at similar things. Cultural victory and getting diplomatic favor. Firaxis thinks they are a lot alike it seems. Although perhaps we are a lot alike.

Trying the Incas again, this time actually building their uu and using them in combat. The upgrade coast is over 300 gold (on epic speed), ouch. I built a bunch of scouts hoping to upgrade, but I can't afford more than 1 upgrade. Cool unit, but so expensive I can't have more than one at the moment.

And now with the military emergency against me I'm at war with 3 civs. Sigh. This Inca war effort isn't going well. Night and day compared to my first game. I'm not impressed with their uu yet.
edit: Well after the ambush promotion I'm a believer. I just need commercial hubs to afford the maintenance. I still can't afford more than a few. And now knights one shot my unique unit. I guess the war is over at this point. I really wanted to hit Korea.

Last edited:
America was militarily effective against other AI in my Canada game. They took cities within a matter of turns in both the early and mid-game, on their own continent and others.

As of R&F, I've seen Teddy steamroll neighbouring civs frequently. That +5 home continent advantage combined with the Deity starting army makes for quick work against some other leaders. Sometimes if weakens the neighbour early he'll go back and finish the job later. He and Amanitore seem to rack up the most kills overall. (Not sure why Gilgamesh isn't up there with them; maybe RNG for my observation set.)

Not seen Teddy do so off his home continent, though.

How do you all feel about America now? I don't think they're top tier, but I feel like GS's addition to their CUA was an excellent final touch on putting together a well structured civ to play with. (Meaning they feel good, unlike say Eleanor's England which feels a bit lost and unfocused).

They're strong, and they used their Favor to fend off a military emergency against them, which was good.

A really helpful @ggmoyang came up with a simple, easy to remember formula for GPP generation which is
( project cost/ 5) +5

This reminded me of something I am not sure has been mentioned.
Quite a few formula work on tech/civics researched. As we now have a new era this means our formulas work slower... so things like chopping and district costs go up slower than before in the early game.
I guess it is just good to know so thought I would mention it as well as the rather eloquent formula above as this thread is really useful reference.
(Not sure why Gilgamesh isn't up there with them; maybe RNG for my observation set.).
Gilgamesh concentrates on killing barbs and zigs early, Teddy and Animatore are just brutal beasts.

Last edited:
...Did I miss something? I remember during a stream Ed explained how promises work under the new Grievances system. How you should be honest and not promise anything if you plan to continue doing what is making AI angry, otherwise you get that 30 favor for promising, but Grievances will keep ramping up each time you break the promise.

Well....in my current RV game, I told Trajan right away that I will not stop spreading my religion. And the next turn, after one more Apostle charge, I get this:

upload_2019-3-2_23-30-57.png

...Excuse me? So I was being honest, and yet I still get Grievances every time I spread the religion? Then what is the point of me being honest, if it results in the same outcome as me lying and then breaking my promise? If there is no difference in outcome, then I should just lie every time and get that 30 favor.
upload_2019-3-2_23-48-55.png

Last edited:
...Excuse me? So I was being honest, and yet I still get Grievances every time I spread the religion? Then what is the point of me being honest, if it results in the same outcome as me lying and then breaking my promise? If there is no difference in outcome, then I should just lie every time and get that 30 favor.
I think you would get more than 25 grievances if you promised but still continued to do it.

I told Trajan right away that I will not stop spreading my religion
... but you promised not to... yes the message says you declined which is rubbish, but you did promise.
I knew the old promise system very well under diplomacy and this is just another mechanic on top.
I thought Ed said it too but not 100%. Certainly this current behaviour is the way it used to work and if he changed it that would have been great and make perfect sense but so much of this version is rubbish.... I think they spent all their time looking at volcanoes exploding and missed the point of their job.

... but you promised not to... yes the message says you declined which is rubbish, but you did promise.
I knew the old promise system very well under diplomacy and this is just another mechanic on top.
I thought Ed said it too but not 100%. Certainly this current behaviour is the way it used to work and if he changed it that would have been great and make perfect sense but so much of this version is rubbish.... I think they spent all their time looking at volcanoes exploding and missed the point of their job.
Did you read his post? He did NOT promise anything, he refused to promise not to convert the AI cities. The message he got is absolutely correct, there is no problem with the wording or anything like that.

Did you read his post? He did NOT promise anything, he refused to promise not to convert the AI cities. The message he got is absolutely correct, there is no problem with the wording or anything like that.
Lol, whoops ... I missed the word stop... sorry

On another note.. with regard to resources
I have 46 Iron
I am building 2 chariots
I suddenly get knights so they change to building knights and allocate 20 iron to each build leaving me with 6.
I then switch both cities to building chariots as i no longer have enough iron for knights
Feels a bit wierd... and when I hit 20 iron wham it gets sucked up by a knight.

Last edited:
I think i'll move back to Civ IV for now. I was really expecting GS to make the game more challenging but the AI is still very bad. If you survive the first 100 turns you are very likely going to win, no ifs ands or buts about it.

I was playing as Kristina going for a Culture victory, the AI didn't have a fifth of the tourism output that I had. Now this is on Immortal, the second highest difficulty. I could move up to Deity but the only difference there is the AI getting 3 settlers which feels very cheap to me. Why THREE settlers? In Civ IV the AI only gets a single settler yet can still be very challenging.

know how you feel. I regularly turn back to civ 4 with mods during civ 5 and 6 development process. Since launch date of 2nd expansion i have spend more time playing diablo 3 and hearts of iron 4. And quite enjoyed playing both games. I just miss the fun factor and challenge i had playing older civ games (civ3,civ4 and heavely modded civ 5). Civ 6 is getting better but still no challenge. AI is to passive past first 2 era’s.

So we just voted for 2 emergencies.
Eleanor and Jayavarman and trying to get a city off me so are allied
Jayavarman and myself are allied against Eleanor
The means that my ally is my enemy and I cannot attack him, and seemingly he cannot attack me.
upload_2019-3-3_23-38-50.png
upload_2019-3-3_23-39-11.png

And he is not at war with me
upload_2019-3-3_23-40-54.png

Top Bottom