Guerra del Paraguay 1864-1870

Bathy, Here is a store which has three interesting books on South American Uniforms. If you have seen copies of these books I would appreciate your opinion of them.

If you have seen copies of these books I would appreciate your opinion of them.
Thank you,7ronin, these are really interesting books!More precisely,I would say that the most historical and exact from them (and it's not just my opinion, but my friends from the reenactors of uniforms' forum ) is "Uniformes do Exercito Brasileiro".I learned a lot of interesting things to me from this book about the uniforms of the Paraguayan War.This book is aimed at professionals rather than a simple reader.
"Historia del Ejercito de Chile"
has a more general direction, but high-quality illustrations (again, not just my opinion:))
And finally "Ejercito del Peru.Evolucion Historica de los Uniformes"...If there is no other source of Peruvian uniforms,then this book is suitable.Pictures are poor and squalid,they can give only the general idea of the Peruvian uniforms,although their accuracy (in general) is confirmed by other books.But experts of Uniformology call such book coloring book:lol:
I have all three of these books, I studied them in detail in spite of my rather poor knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese:crazyeye:.I do not know whether you have these books in electronic format:confused:If not, here is a link where you can download them.I still have a lot of information on these and other topics of uniform.If necessary, I always ready to help in this matter;)
The only thing I regret - I have not enough time and energy to learn how to create units by myself, and not pick them up on the degree of similarity to the historic original:( There are a lot of units (Paraguayan,for example) to which our Unit Creators hardly ever reach:sad:

Thank you, Bathy. I value your insight.

Yes, it's regrettable that South America is an area neglected by our unit makers. Perhaps your two excellent scenarios will stimulate some interest. I hope so.

Were there no ships at this time capable of transporting the heavy artillery?

Not many, I think. Remember that these are not deep rivers, you depend on barges.

it's regrettable that South America is an area neglected by our unit makers. Perhaps your two excellent scenarios will stimulate some interest. I hope so.
Thanks,7ronin!I also hope so! South America is a very interesting object for creating units and scenarios (in my case:)).I've planned two more South American scenarios - 1.The War of Independence from Spain and 2.South America 1830-61 (Riograndense Republic,The State of Buenos Aires, period of separatism - I can create any flag (as leaderhead),so I would make every separatist republic of that time).
Were there no ships at this time capable of transporting the heavy artillery?
Yes,I agree with Takhisis that heavy artillery could be transported by barge (as it was in Civil War in the US), or disassembled in any big ship or steamer (in fact, as this heavy artillery was delivered from Europe :whew:).But in the case of my scenario, you can transport it by any transport ship.It is strange, but in my scenario you can transport everything, including artillery, by using a balloon.I intentionally did it, although such opportunities did not exist (it was impossible to lift these weights,maybe only in parts).This is a tribute to the boundless faith of XIX century people in technological progress, when it seemed that very soon airships will fly to the moon :lol:
In my game there is another trick:you can transport immobile fortress artillery by airships when you load it in the city where it was built, and you can unload it anywhere ;)

Downloaded, and Im very enjoying it, you know what they saying "Viva la revolución" ;)
very well done :goodjob:

Bathyskaff, I just finished my first game, playing as Brasil, and I have to tell you, "Great Job!". You put a lot of detail in the game and it shows, but it is also accessible and easy to pick up, which is always a plus. Terrific AI artillery routine...the Paraguayans crushed my first pincer attack, captured two cities, pounded my defenses and invaded with a army that included 8 cannons that they used very aggressively. I had to get the situation under contriol and grind them down before counterattacking. The use of fortresses works out nicely. They are devastating with a range of 2 and lethal land bombard. After that, my ally sucked me into war with Bolivia and the Netherlands, and we ended up with a domination victory.

Very fun and error free. Did you intend to add some civilopedia entries? I liked the various types of infantry and cavalry, but it's not clear if there are advantages to each kind beyond attack-defense stats. Also, it would be cool to have just a little info on their real-world history since you clearly are knowledgeable of these armies during this era.

Great work!

Great work!
Thnx,Anthony!Congratulations on your victory, Imperador Dom Pedro II! :king:I'm just waiting for someone to play this scenario and asked me specific questions about units and history!
Did you intend to add some civilopedia entries?
I would like to add entries in the civilopedia but for every unit it seemed to me impossible and unnecessary and I do not have so much reliable information of the armies of all Latin American nations (unfortunately, sources are scarce):sad: Maybe I'll try again...
but it's not clear if there are advantages to each kind beyond attack-defense stats
What exactly do you mean?

I looked at this scenario. Looks like a combination of the napoleonic europe conquest file and the age of imperialism scenario with some russian civilopedia entries and all in game units in spanish. The spanish naming definitely does make sense though.

The scenario does look fun I plan to play it. The fuertos are sort of an eye sore I wish they didn't cover up the cool trenches.

Hello!This is the upgraded version of Guerra del Paraguay !I tried to consider all comments - all cities correspond to the time;because of imperator1961' new works I put new British units,changed some other units,changed some flags like this one of mapuche

You still can download this on the first post of the thread :D

Shouldn't it be España? :)

Moderator Action: I've fixed the link in the first post, and restored 11/12ths of the images from the Internet Archive cache (the 12th, within the spoiler, remains missing).

I also compared the re-uploads from Virote_Considon and Rathvilly, and found that Virote_Considon's re-upload has five more units and takes up 9 MB more space after decompression, and that two of the new units are British. Thus, I believe that version corresponds to the update that @Bathyskaff mentioned in post #31, and Rathvilly's corresponds to the first version.

Downloaded scenario and decided to make a bigger map, so I could include the navigable rivers. With the flintlock patch it’s much easier now since you can cross land-sea intersections with naval units. I still can't build any naval units though, until I have access to the open seas. Self-imposed rule: minimum 3 Arty units per attacking group. 4 or maybe 5 max per defending city, depending on AI stack size.

Week 41 1864
Population: 600,000 5th
Land Area: 7,900 sq ml 5th

Military:
3 Esclavo (workers)

11 Canon (Arty)
1 Artillería de la Guardia (Arty)

42 Infantería de Paraguay 3-4-1
1 Caballería Irregular (Cavalry) 6-2-2
1 Rgt. de Dragones de la Escolta (Cavalry) 5-2-2
2 Rgt. Escolta Pres. Acá Caraya (Cavalry) 5-4-2
11 Fuerte (Immobile Fortress) 0-5-0
17 Milicia Civil (Immobile) 0-4-0

2 Corsario
3 Vapor (transport)

Well let’s begin. Coronel level which is the second hardest level. Sign MPP’s with Chile, Bolivia and Colombia for resources and all of their Gold! Need it bad, as our economy is stuck in the red with just 10% research. I’ve got 4 separate attacks groups which I will call by the city name they are stationed in. In the north there is the Olímpico Group (12 Inf, 3 Arty, 1 Cav) In the east is the Concepcion Group (9 Inf, 3 Arty, 1 Cav) In the South is the Humaita Group (13 Inf, 3 Arty, 1 Cav) and the Encarnación Group (9 Inf, 3 Arty, 1 Cav). The Infantry has 3-4 stats, so not a lot of quality, but good quantity! I should be able to upgrade to better units in about 10 turns.

Plan of attack…
GP01.jpg

GP02.jpg

Week 44 1864
Minus 39 gold right with only 10% research, so economy is in some shambles!
In the north, the Olímpico Group lost 2 Inf units, but killed 2 Brazilian units in Corumba to take the town! :D Our Cav unit triggered a Golden Age!! Coxim is next for this group.
In the south, the Humaita Group lost a Cav unit, but killed 2 Argies to take Corrientes! :goodjob: Loading up units into the Vapors to travel quickly down the river to Goya!

-Britain declares war.

Week 47
In the south, the Encarnación Group lost a Cav and 2 Inf units with no kills in the Battle for Uruguayana. :eek: Afterwards I immediately stopped the attack to save the rest of the force from the slaughter. :nono:
In the east the Concepcion Group took Dourados with no losses!! :goodjob: Moving 5 Inf and a Cav unit to Uruguayana asap! It will take them 4 turns to get there though.

-Spain declares war. Costa Rica declares war.
An Inf is lost and Argie Inf killed outside of Goya after they attacked our force. This subsequently triggered the MPP with Chile and Bolivia to jump into the conflict. They will keep the Argies busy for awhile! :lol:

Week 50
Brazilian Inf killed outside Dourados.
In the north the Olímpico Group took Coxim taken with no losses!! :band: Will divide this group between Corumba and Coxim to defend against the Brazilian attacks that are sure to come.
In the south, our arty units heavily pounded the Brazilian defenders in Uruguayana and I decided to send in the Infantry again, this time taking the town with no further losses!! :clap: The Encarnación Group achieved its mission after all. I’m still sending the other units to reinforce this vulnerable salient.
In the nearby city of Goya, the Humaita Group found itself in a meat grinder as we lost 5 Inf units, :blush: but in the end were able to capture the town along with a Canon! :)

-Peru declares war on us.
Forgot to move my units to Uruguayana after the victory here and a Urug Cav came in and killed my only defender and captured the town! GRRRRRR!!!! Fire that General! :mad:

Week 1 1865
Population: 929,000 7th
Land Area: 18,200 sq ml 2nd

Military:
7 Esclavo (workers)
12 Canon
1 Artillería de la Guardia (Arty)
30 Infantería de Paraguay 3-4-1
1 Caballería Irregular (Cav) 6-2-2
1 Rgt. de Dragones de la Escolta (Cav) 5-2-2
11 Fuerte (Immobile Fortress) 0-5-0
17 Milicia Civil (Immobile) 0-4-0

2 Corsario
3 Vapor (transport)

Retook Uruguayana but lost an Inf unit in the process! :) War weariness flaring up everywhere already!
I’ve reached my culmination point until I get upgraded attacking units. Maybe I’ll try to get another small isolated Brazilian town up north, or continue further south into Argentina and Uruguay by the rivers since I’ve got 3 transport units that move like the wind.
-Inf unit lost in Uruguayana attack.
GP03.jpg

GP04.jpg

Week 4
5 Inf units arrive at Uruguayana, just in time as there are only 2 units left there to defend. Killed an Urug Cav unit there too.
-Alliance units from all 3 countries seen marching towards the southern towns and also the southeast.

Week 7
Argie Inf killed near Goya. Trying to connect the whole country via rails for defensive purposes.
-Brazilian force grows to 8 units near Encarnación in the southeast, but there are no roads here so it will take them a while to show up. Small Urug force also arrives right outside of Uruguayana.

Week 10
Argie Inf killed near Corrientes.
-Another Inf is lost in Uruguayana to the Urugs, they also destroyed a road outside the town.

Week 13
The rioting in Paraguayan towns is unrelenting!!! They are making it tough to win this war and it is set to low! :wallbash:
We keep pounding the Brazilians with the Fuertes near Encarnación. They keep having to send their injured units back to Brazil!
Lost an Inf, but killed 2 Urug Inf and captured 2 Arty units in a battle outside of Uruguayana.
-French declare war on us.
Ooof! Just discovered the Argies have a powerful Cav unit with Blitz attack! We lost 2 Inf and 1 Cav unit the south to them! I was moving these units to reinforce the southern towns and they caught them in the open grasslands. RIP. :sad:
Near Encarnación we lost a Fuerte and a Civil Militia as the Brazilians took over the fortress. We also spotted Argie units who traveled all the way to the east. Ah man, this Is going to get rough it appears!

Week 16
Argie Cav unit killed outside of Uruguayana.
-Inf lost and Brazilian Inf killed outside of Uruguayana.

Week 19
We’ve researched Ejército Regular and can now upgrade our Inf! Unfortunately the two southern towns had the Barracks burned down by rioting, so I have to build that first!
Killed an Argie Inf near Goya.
-Inf and Cav were lost to superpower Argie Cav unit in the southern grasslands. I now realize they have a movement of 3 with Blitz and All Terrain as Road, yikes!!! [pissed] Brazilians continue to push deep into Paraguay territory, a couple of units settled over a Coal resource, gonna have to dislodge them from here.

Week 22
Took care of 3 Brazilian Inf invaders including those who dared to take our Coal Hill! Also killed an Argie Cav and Inf in the south, plus captured another Canon.
-Argie Cav killed in Goya.

Week 25
Killed an Argo Cav in the east. Don’t have enough units and can’t build anything fast because of war weariness! 😡
-Esclavo captured by Argie Cav near Corrientes

Week 28
Trying to build Manufacturas in 4 cities! These are like the Factories. Going to be in trouble after the GA ends!
Killed an Argie Cav and rescued our Esclavo. I’m not going to be able to finish any railroads down south due to how fast the Argie Cav units are. They come out of nowhere!
2 Brazilian Inf killed in the east as I’m finally pushing them back a bit. There are still 12 of them plus an Argie unit hanging around the border though.
-Ecuador declares war on us. Fast moving Argie SuperCav attacked my capital Asunción, but was killed. Those guys are way too powerful!!!

Week 31
The war weariness is just killing me!! :mad:
-2 Argie Cavs killed in the west and south, looks like they are bypassing Goya to attack further north.

Week 33
-5 Argie SuperCavs showed up, took 3 Esclavos and killed a Civil Militia in Humaita. There’s no hiding from these guys, they move 9 tiles per turn regardless of terrain! :aargh: They are still at war with Chile, but they’re probably not having any battles over there!! At the same time a whole bunch of Brazilians retreated from the southeast, pretty sure they’re going to attack from a different direction.

Week 37
Rioting and burning continues throughout Paraguayan cities, can’t build anything and the Golden Age will run out in 5 turns. I've averaging about 2 defenders in every town, that's all I got. There are plenty of Arty units though, and that's saving me right now.
Killed 4 Argie Cavs and rescued 3 Esclavos in the process, Get Some!! :ar15:
-Argie Cav killed in attack on Encarnación, another traveled 9 tiles to capture another Esclavo deep inside Paraguay. :rolleyes:

Week 40
Killed Argie Cav and rescued Esclavo.
2 Brazilian Inf killed very close to Asunción.
-Argie SuperCav travels deep into Paraguay and captured 3 Canons and destroyed another Arty unit that had a defense value....

Week 43
Massive rioting continues, nothing new is being built!!! 2 Argie SuperCavs killed and 3 Cannon retaken.
-Bolivia declares war on us. Colombia declares war on us. Uh oh, the Peruvians arrive in mass!
1 Peru Cav killed, but lost a Civil Militia and the fortress outside of Asunción. 2 Urug and 1 Argie Cav units are killed in the south. Still no sign of the Brazilians, but I am betting they rerouted all of their units to hit us in the north.

Week 46
No chance of any counter attack for us, just waiting out the inevitable at this point. Railroads are not connected throughout so it’s going to be difficult shifting units throughout Paraguay.
-2 Argie Cavs killed in Corrientes. Venezuela declares war. Chile signs peace with Alliance. We’ll see if this will now increase the pressure from the Argies.

Week 49
-2 Peru Cav killed, lost a Fuerte and Civil Militia in the Chaco region.
2 Esclavos captured as a bunch of Brazilian Cavs appear in the north near Corumba, which is not heavily defended... Looks like the Brazilian northern attack is now commencing.

Week 52
Killed Argie Inf and captured a Canon.
-Killed 3 Argie Cav, they did manage to capture an Esclavo from us though.
In the north, we lost an Inf and Canon in the Battle of Corumba, the town was taken by the Brazilians. :( Now Coxim is isolated, but more concerened about Olimpico nearby. I got nothing up there to defend. :blush:

Top Bottom