1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Guerra del Paraguay 1864-1870

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Bathyskaff, Nov 30, 2011.

1. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

Bathy, Here is a store which has three interesting books on South American Uniforms. If you have seen copies of these books I would appreciate your opinion of them.

2. Bathyskaff

Bathyskaff reality researcher

Thank you,7ronin, these are really interesting books!More precisely,I would say that the most historical and exact from them (and it's not just my opinion, but my friends from the reenactors of uniforms' forum ) is "Uniformes do Exercito Brasileiro".I learned a lot of interesting things to me from this book about the uniforms of the Paraguayan War.This book is aimed at professionals rather than a simple reader.
    "Historia del Ejercito de Chile"
    has a more general direction, but high-quality illustrations (again, not just my opinion:))
    And finally "Ejercito del Peru.Evolucion Historica de los Uniformes"...If there is no other source of Peruvian uniforms,then this book is suitable.Pictures are poor and squalid,they can give only the general idea of the Peruvian uniforms,although their accuracy (in general) is confirmed by other books.But experts of Uniformology call such book coloring book:lol:
    I have all three of these books, I studied them in detail in spite of my rather poor knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese:crazyeye:.I do not know whether you have these books in electronic format:confused:If not, here is a link where you can download them.I still have a lot of information on these and other topics of uniform.If necessary, I always ready to help in this matter;)
    The only thing I regret - I have not enough time and energy to learn how to create units by myself, and not pick them up on the degree of similarity to the historic original:( There are a lot of units (Paraguayan,for example) to which our Unit Creators hardly ever reach:sad:

3. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

Thank you, Bathy. I value your insight.

Yes, it's regrettable that South America is an area neglected by our unit makers. Perhaps your two excellent scenarios will stimulate some interest. I hope so.

Were there no ships at this time capable of transporting the heavy artillery?

4. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Not many, I think. Remember that these are not deep rivers, you depend on barges.

5. Bathyskaff

Thanks,7ronin!I also hope so! South America is a very interesting object for creating units and scenarios (in my case:)).I've planned two more South American scenarios - 1.The War of Independence from Spain and 2.South America 1830-61 (Riograndense Republic,The State of Buenos Aires, period of separatism - I can create any flag (as leaderhead),so I would make every separatist republic of that time).
    Yes,I agree with Takhisis that heavy artillery could be transported by barge (as it was in Civil War in the US), or disassembled in any big ship or steamer (in fact, as this heavy artillery was delivered from Europe :whew:).But in the case of my scenario, you can transport it by any transport ship.It is strange, but in my scenario you can transport everything, including artillery, by using a balloon.I intentionally did it, although such opportunities did not exist (it was impossible to lift these weights,maybe only in parts).This is a tribute to the boundless faith of XIX century people in technological progress, when it seemed that very soon airships will fly to the moon :lol:
    In my game there is another trick:you can transport immobile fortress artillery by airships when you load it in the city where it was built, and you can unload it anywhere ;)

6. smirnoff

smirnoff Crusader

Downloaded, and Im very enjoying it, you know what they saying "Viva la revolución" ;)
    very well done :goodjob:

7. Bathyskaff

Thanx & спасибо,земляк ;)

8. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Bathyskaff, I just finished my first game, playing as Brasil, and I have to tell you, "Great Job!". You put a lot of detail in the game and it shows, but it is also accessible and easy to pick up, which is always a plus. Terrific AI artillery routine...the Paraguayans crushed my first pincer attack, captured two cities, pounded my defenses and invaded with a army that included 8 cannons that they used very aggressively. I had to get the situation under contriol and grind them down before counterattacking. The use of fortresses works out nicely. They are devastating with a range of 2 and lethal land bombard. After that, my ally sucked me into war with Bolivia and the Netherlands, and we ended up with a domination victory.

Very fun and error free. Did you intend to add some civilopedia entries? I liked the various types of infantry and cavalry, but it's not clear if there are advantages to each kind beyond attack-defense stats. Also, it would be cool to have just a little info on their real-world history since you clearly are knowledgeable of these armies during this era.

Great work!

9. Bathyskaff

Thnx,Anthony!Congratulations on your victory, Imperador Dom Pedro II! :king:I'm just waiting for someone to play this scenario and asked me specific questions about units and history!
    I would like to add entries in the civilopedia but for every unit it seemed to me impossible and unnecessary and I do not have so much reliable information of the armies of all Latin American nations (unfortunately, sources are scarce):sad: Maybe I'll try again...
    What exactly do you mean?

10. TomYo689

TomYo689 Emperor

I looked at this scenario. Looks like a combination of the napoleonic europe conquest file and the age of imperialism scenario with some russian civilopedia entries and all in game units in spanish. The spanish naming definitely does make sense though.

The scenario does look fun I plan to play it. The fuertos are sort of an eye sore I wish they didn't cover up the cool trenches.

11. Bathyskaff

Hello!This is the upgraded version of Guerra del Paraguay !I tried to consider all comments - all cities correspond to the time;because of imperator1961' new works I put new British units,changed some other units,changed some flags like this one of mapuche

You still can download this on the first post of the thread :D

12. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Shouldn't it be España? :)

13. Bathyskaff

I have already explained to you why the editor categorically not miss any diacritical signs.Then I can ask and you:"Shouldn't it be Испания ?

14. Node60

Node60 Warlord

Guys, whether has remained at somebody this scenario? I would be grateful...