Guess the New Civs

I'm in for the others being religiously tied, so I think Portugal is a lot more likely than the Huns. I suppose you could try and fit in Sumeria, 2k has shown that they aren't afraid of using things surrounded in myth(Hiawatha), so Gilgamesh is a possibility. I seriously doubt that they'll give the Zulu a pass, Firaxis just loves that civ too much. We have the Dutch, so I'm a bit doubtful on the proposals of other euro Civs. For the last one, I would think that they want to surprise us with soothing we haven't seen in a while, so maybe the Hittites.

Do they normally relate the civs to the title? I thought the title was just about the added mechanism.
In Beyond the Sword going by this logic you would expect lots of modern nations that went "Beyond the Sword" but no, only 3 of the nations added lived to see wide use of the gun.
Warlords sticks to it's title better with 3/6 but given how half the leaders seem to be warlords anyway I would put this down to coincidence.

I would like to see Brazil. Reasons:

1. It will be a totally knew civilization in the series. It is an opportunity to give a new look to the game. We already saw tons of civs in the other games, placing Brazil in the game would be something new.

2. Since Civilization IV firaxis has been adding brazilian stuff to the game. We saw Christ Redeemer added on a Civ IV expansion and in the Civ V vanilla game. We also saw a brazilian native nation represented in Colonization, the Tupis. Also, in the Civ V game, Rio is a city-state. Besides that, Rio was presented in Civ III Portugal civilization along with other brazilian cities.

3. Brazil is rising its influence over the world nowdays. The country is holding the next world cup and the next olympic games. Also Brazil is playing a major role in the world economy, and I am not saying that Brazil is just the 6th world economy, there is a lot more to look at.

4. Brazil is culturally unique. We are not just an extension of Portugal. Brazil has developed its own music, cousine, fine arts that makes this country unique in the world. All this based on European, african and native american influence.

5. I am brazilian and I would like to see my country in there! ;) C'mon, everyone would like to see its own country represented.

Other countries I would like to see are: Bulgaria, Ethiopia, Zulus and Gran Colombia (or any other south american nation).

Having Austria and Germany seems a bit over the top, they share the same history, language and culture. It would be the old Germany and HRE debate all over again. And nobody wants that.

Oh, right.

Even so, you could have both Germany and Austria in the game, no?
If you modded in Austria, yes you could. They didn't come with yhe game though...

1. Ethiopia or Makuria - Great thematic fit for the expansion, Africa very underrepresented. I'd be really surprised not to see one of these civs.

2. Sumeria - The pantheon system they've described would mesh really well with the Sumerian cities and their patron deities. Also, see series title! :)

3. Assyria or Hatti - I'd really like to see both, but don't expect to. Assyria would be especially cool, as we've yet to see them make an appearance in a civ title, though the Hittites would be similarly welcome.

Aside: as far as the Middle East is concerned, the overlap argument shouldn't really apply; there are presently only only 2 Islamic and 2 pre-Islamic (3 if you count Egypt) civs available. This is grossly disproportionate to the region's historical significance, and if you will recall, Civ 3 had no qualms about including a number of such empires in Persia, Babylonia, Hatti, Sumeria, Arabia, Egypt, and the Ottomans. By emphasizing cities important to each respective civilization and/or making use of the contemporary vernacular or lingua franca, the naming issue is easily solved. That a region of the world has changed ownership many times shouldn't rule out it's full representation in the panoply of Civ civs. Aside aside: I sooo hope the Sassanids are playable in the Fall of Rome scenario!

4. Pueblo, Sioux, or Mississippians - It seems appropriate to include another North (non-Meso) American civ, and though the Mississippians would be awesome, they're probably the least likely for obvious reasons. Furthermore, both the Pueblo and Sioux offer a nice geographic contrast to the Iroquois, a contrast which ought to go well with the terrain derived pantheon system.

Assyria or Hatti is a great suggestion. Sumeria, while important historically, is already in a scenario, and wasn't all that unique in that scenario anyway.

I think that if fans demand Hebrews/Israel enough the developers might put them in. That's what happened with the Polynesians and Korea, after all, and I don't really see how adding Hebrews/Israel would "alienate millions of people" as has been previously suggested.

The concern is with Arabic communities out of a fear that they would think it either included modern Israel or at least legitimized them. I think most of those who would be upset are not likely to buy western computer games, however.

Then they shouldn't be playing Civ. There are already a couple aspects in civ that certain people could already find offensive. Are atheists going to be alienated because religion is being added into the game? I don't really think so.

And to be honest, I personally don't think that the Israelis of today are similar to the Israelis of 2000+ years ago. Culturally and ethnically, I mean.

I think it would be great to see Israel added with David or Solomon as the leader.

You'd be surprised what some people might find offensive. There are a lot of people in the world who resent Israel's existence as an independent nation.

Even with religion, the developers seem to be (from what was present in CIV, and from what I've seen of G&K so far) treading very cautiously around the idea of religion. Religion in Civ has inevitably been implemented in a cynical way - in CIV it was all about the gold and the influence, in this game it looks like it's going to be about culture and a range of other things as well - either way it's a government or social policy by another name, a tool to advance one's own interests. I don't have a problem with that, by the way, and don't think most atheists would either.

I can see the argument for having an Israeli Civ, but all I'm saying is that given that it's a sensitive subject politically - added to the fact that in over a decade of Civ we have never had anything approaching an Israeli Civ - I don't see it happening. I suspect that we will never see Britain or the United Kingdom as a single Civ for similar reasons.

They could have Israel as an Ancient Era-focused Civ led by King David - and that would indeed be rather cool. They could even potentially call it Judea, since, as you say, Biblical Israel and today's Israel are different animals. But I still just don't see it. Sorry.

(and yes, I will gladly eat my words in 2-3 months if I'm wrong)

I'd also point out that Israel is far more important retrospectively than it was at the time. It's important for its religious influence for others. However, it was one of many small Kingdoms in the area and certainly paled in comparison to the giants like Egypt, Hatti, Assyria, Babylon, and Persia, and it also took a backseat to Phoenicia. In terms of comparable states, Phrygia, Elam, and Urartu are in the same area.

However, it's lasting impact is far, far greater. In that sense, I've always thought it worth a mention. But a city-state might be a fair compromise.

Then they shouldn't be playing Civ. There are already a couple aspects in civ that certain people could already find offensive. Are atheists going to be alienated because religion is being added into the game? I don't really think so.

And to be honest, I personally don't think that the Israelis of today are similar to the Israelis of 2000+ years ago. Culturally and ethnically, I mean.

I think it would be great to see Israel added with David or Solomon as the leader.

Being an atheist myself, I am not at all offended by the fact that atheism isn't included in the game. It really wasn't a huge belief system until now, and doesn't have much cultural value.
Yes, Israel is controversial, and hasn't had much influence on the world other than religion. I would like to see it in, and it makes a great mod idea, but it won't realistically be one of the remaining 4 civs.

Being an atheist myself, I am not at all offended by the fact that atheism isn't included in the game. It really wasn't a huge belief system until now, and doesn't have much cultural value.
Yes, Israel is controversial, and hasn't had much influence on the world other than religion. I would like to see it in, and it makes a great mod idea, but it won't realistically be one of the remaining 4 civs.

Agreed.

I think everybody would be a bit...":dubious:" if Israel would end up being one of the 4 remaining civs.

I would just like to see them added to the game at some point. Doesn't mean much to me if they are not.

I'd like to see Jerusalem as a religious City-State. I think that's a good compromise. Hopefully games will result in empires trying to conquer and reconquer it lol.

1. Portugal. The last of the major colonial powers would seem a no-brainer. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO BRAZIL WITHOUT PORTUGAL!!! That would be like having the Americans without the English and very very weird. I like the theory that Lisbon in the screenshot might actually be a CS-seized city and holding out hope they might yet make it in.
2. Zulu. Like others have said, a classic part of the game and it just won't seem complete until they are added (even if they may not be the most "worthy" addition).
3. Inuit. I never even thought about this until someone mentioned it here, but it would be brilliant to have a civ that could take advantage of tundra and ice tiles.
4. Ethiopia. Would be great to have them in addition to Zulu and cover the major regions of Africa.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Hebrews/Israel, but Jerusalem as a religious City State might be a better option.

Top Bottom