Gunpowder units

E_Pluribus_Unum

Warlord
Hi!

Some of the gunpowder unis does not require any resource (nor sulphure, neighter ammunition). I think this is wrong. I list them, and add my suggestion.

Rifleman/Redcoat : req. ammonution
Ifantry : req. ammonution
Anti-Tank : req. ammonution
Police squad : faster build with ammonution
(Mercenary Ifantry also no need for resource, but it cost 20 :gold:, so i think this good and resonable alternative)

It has been like this since Civ 3.

The explanation according to Civilopedia 3:

"By the time of these (bolt/lever action rifles) all resources for explosives are in abundance, and are no longer required separately."

Historically it makes sense, also balances gameplay.

EDIT: SORRY! SORRY! SORRY!

Misread, thought you were talking about sulphur/saltpeter... Uh oh... :blush:

Perhaps the idea is that the war infrastructure during the early rifle era is not so massive and logistics-oriented, that they don't require the ammunition-resource (I think the resource name might be slightly misleading...)

It does also serve game balance, as there is no "ammunition monopoly" which could lead to a too easy exploitation of beelining to Rifling... and world conquest. :cool:

Why not? RoM/AND is not about playing easy... ;)

Until now I don't realize this, but in the current game I've got no sulphure. So I started to build up a big army of Heaw Swordsman, Crossbowman, etc... against first and secind generational gunpowder units to ger sulphure. Then I research rifing I a can train Rifleman. It was a "little" disappointment for me... :(

So, there will be no changes?

I believe most people just melted down lead and nickel on a spoon into small bearings, then packed it down the rifle with a homemade concoction of gunpowder.
People did have firearms before factory's came about

Hi!

Some of the gunpowder units does not require any resource(s) (nor not sulphure, neighter nor ammunition). I think this is wrong. I list them, and add my suggestion.

Rifleman/Redcoat : req. ammonution ammunition
Ifantry : req. ammonution ammunition
Anti-Tank : req. ammonution ammunition
Police squad : faster build with ammonution ammunition
(Mercenary Infantry also no need for do not require resource(s), but it costs 20 :gold:, so i think this good and resonable alternative)

Riflemen shouldn't require ammunition because IIRC they poured powder down the barrel, tamped it, put a wad of cloth and tamped it then the put in the shot

[sources] personal experience with a muzzle loading rifle

Also I believe Sulpher should be ditched for production of Ammunition because Smokeless powder was developed in the late 19th Century and there was no sulpher in it,

Additionally Saltpetre became worthless as a resource during WWI because of the Haber Process (but you could make a building that converts coal to saltpetre)

This discussion is interesting, but you seem to omit one little detail:

in AND gunpowder units DO require sulphur....

This discussion is interesting, but you seem to omit one little detail:

in AND gunpowder units DO require sulphur....

Infantry and beyond shouldn't

Your English, Pluribus, is good enough quality for a Central European to join an English board. There are many, many people in the birthplace of English who can't spell that well!

Top Bottom