Hammer of the North v2 PBEM

I intend to post the latest patch for this scenario in a few turns. Most of the changes have consequences for the late game of the scenario, so I think we can use it without too much difficulty for this game. What do you say?

Here's a list of the changes in v.2.4

Game changes :

* increased hp's and mp's of KIngs and Heroes
- Kings given 3 mp's and 'alpine' and 'ignore ZOC' flags removed
- Kings increased from 2 to 4 hp's
- Heroes given 3 mp's and 4 hp's

* Upgrade chain changed from Men-at-arms -> Pikemen to Men-at-arms -> Heavy infantry

* Increased the defense of Pikemen from 5 to 6

* Slightly adjusted costs and stats of Cogs, Hulks, War Galleys and Carracks
- Hulks increased hp's from 2 to 3, to make them more valuable and stronger than Cogs
- Cogs made cheaper, they now cost the same as Knarrs, but with more offensive power
- Carracks given 3 hp's and reduced in def from 10 to 8
- War Galleys reduced in power, att changed from 10 to 8, move changed from 8 to 7, to reduce their maneurability in comparison to Drakkars - with the same att power, but drastically improved defensive capability

* Drakkars now become obsolete with Naval Warfare - which means the upgrade chain improves Drakkars to War Galleys

* Master Craftsmen given 2 mp's, to make them more of an improvement to monks

* Monks reduced in cost from 6 to 5. Upgrade chain removed for Monks -> Master Craftsmen. Monks now do not become obsolete, but remains the cheaper of the two (they can still only be built with 'Monastic Revolution')

* Coastal Fortresses can now be built with 'Land Defenses', which will make raids easier (and the more important) in the early game, in contrast to considerably more difficult in the later game (which alleviates the problem of unwanted AI use of the later and more powerful War Galleys for raids)

* Missionaries' move increased to 2, for an effective 4 mp's with 'alpine' flag, to make them more useful and allow faster exploration by the christian powers.

Cosmetic changes

* Anglo-Saxon flag changed to the griffon of Wessex (Frisian flag also needs to be changed)
* Plains terrain changed
* Added icon for new coastal fortress

Morten Blaabjerg said:
Norse movements in Normandy are watched closely. King Charles was not pleased to hear of the Norse sacking of the holy town of St.Brieux.

This action was more a slaughter of a rogue wiking tripe that had captured St.Brieux without King Olavs approval.

John - and all of you : Make sure you all get the latest update - with a create date/time that corresponds to a time later than the 'edited by' time in my post above. - I exchanged the first zip, because I came to mistake one rules.txt for another. (I didn't see any downloads before exchanging the zip, but just to make sure)

We should all play with this update from now on.

BKA said:
This action was more a slaughter of a rogue wiking tripe that had captured St.Brieux without King Olavs approval.
Our emissaries were just about to negotiate terms for delivering the town back under the Frankish crown - instead, the abbey of St. Brieux has now been ordered under the supervision of the city of Le Mans. If the Norse should wish to further pursue the vandals, we have one band of barbarians still spotted to the west, who managed to escape the Norse slaughter.

OK, this scenario (and you guys) are turning out to be quite the trip! Loving every minute of it. Haven't played with the dip program yet, and see that you've posted the version changes already Morten. Should I download and incorporate it into the game?

And am I the only 'Booter' (i.e. bootcamp) in this scenario, tossed among all you veterans? My computer illiteracy is a handicap at times. :king:

Patch applied.

The Scots offically crown King MacAlpin as their leader.

A stack of Norse invaders, led by a Viking Chief, dares to try and advance against one of our cities. They are mercessly slaughtered in the field.

The Barbarian city of Dublin is burned to the ground.

Offers of peaceful relations are repeated to those who did not get to use them before.

Attachments

• Scots_802.zip
    38.9 KB · Views: 182
Olav mourns his brave chiefs slaughtered by the Scottish barbarians.

* Scottish vessel sunk at the land of fire and ice.
* Some plundering in the southern part of England.

Other Events:

Monks arrive in England to chronicle recent events.

Attachments

• Norse5.zip
    39 KB · Views: 183
Duke of Marlbrough said:
I figured it was dead when you ended your last turn next to it and your ship had more movement. I just had to try and pick a direction to run. ;)

Hehe :p :king:

@All:

I'm leaving my home tomorrow (Sunday) and I'm not turning back before Saturday next week. 3 days after I'm leaving for Bulgaria for a 2 weeks vacation with my girl friend.

The question is, can you wait for me? I'm quite impressed with the game speed so far - it makes it almost feel liking playing a regular game. So, preferably I would like to play my turns my self - but I would be willing to let the Danes play mine while I'm away (if that would be ok with you Arthedain).

What do you all have to say about this?

* Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp attacked.
* A battle took place outside the walls of Colchester. A Thegn got slayed and also the king of England.

"The English king honoarbly meets defeat in the face of enemy invasion. A new king swears to defend England, as long as the house of Wessex persists."

* Another Thegn slayed outside Withby. The city is nowdeserted, so is Norvik.
* 2 monks plundered south of London.
* An unsuccesfull attack on London took place.
* Hastings plundered.

An unfortunate turn for the English...:( Would you mind telling me what Danish units killed my Thegns and King - and how badly they were damaged in the doing of it? I am still trying to suss out the best tactics in this scenario, and when I playtested in SP the Thegns were very hard to kill. Especially in Forests.

I am aware that MP games favour the attacker (which you may want to address, Morten), but it is hard to work out by how much...

If the units were adjacent to Colchester, he could have easily used Drakkars against them. Even non vet they attack at a 7. A Thegn defends at a 3. Being on a forrest only bumps it up to a 4 defense. They both have 2 HP, so almost 2 to 1 odds.

The King should have been a bit more painful though. Defense of a 6 makes it almost even odds. Unless his Drakkars is a Vet, then almost 2 to 1 again. But the King has 4 Firepower, and I'm not sure how that translates into the conflict odds wise. For it to matter he would have to actually win a round to hit someone for his more powerful attack to matter.

A Viking Chief should have been able to do it as well, but a Viking Raider would have trouble against the Thegn and most likely lose agsinst the King.

hmmmmm.... seems I confused hp's with firepower in my update above. Anyway, the changes are correct, as I wanted the kings (and heroes, if any is found in villages) to level with units such as longbowmen and warlords - with the last they don't quite, but are able to stand their ground quite well in a fortified city on hills, rivers or similar -

The christian strategies are mainly thought in terms of defense - waging an open war against the vikings (especially at this point of the game) is high risk, where a more defensive and pragmatic retreat or stance, with aptly placed fortresses and built up centralized armies will be much more successful, and require advanced siege campaigns to take out. - also, an important aspect not to be missed, is the concept of religious conversion, with the bible or the moneybag in hand... - christian bishops should be rightfully feared by any viking force occupying enemy territory.

Top Bottom