Han Jae-Moon

Ugh...probably one of the aesthetic issues I hate the most, the 'Affinity versions'. They are so subtle the game would probably be better of if all leaders just had one model and no change for affinity.

Ugh...probably one of the aesthetic issues I hate the most, the 'Affinity versions'. They are so subtle the game would probably be better of if all leaders just had one model and no change for affinity.

Absolutely. Especially since we've seen concept art for affinity leaders that had much more dramatic changes. They have said that they recognize that we the players wanted them to be more dramatic and daring with the game. This is one of the key examples of where we wanted them to do so.

Full Harmony Jae-Moon. I like how his appearance doesn't go into that boring green direction

Spoiler :

That's full harmony?

He doesn't even have the green eyes and tubes of those other guys.

Guy's like: "You people do what you want, body of your leader is just fine. Could need a new dress though."

For a second I thought Jae-Moon with tie represented harmony/supremacy...because purple.

Absolutely. Especially since we've seen concept art for affinity leaders that had much more dramatic changes. They have said that they recognize that we the players wanted them to be more dramatic and daring with the game. This is one of the key examples of where we wanted them to do so.

True. Although someone here posted an alien morphed version of Daoming and as soon as I saw it I was like "AHH, kill it! Kill it with fire!". Surely importing the aestethics from starships would suffice as late game affinity while existing ones will be early and mid game affinity level.

True. Although someone here posted an alien morphed version of Daoming and as soon as I saw it I was like "AHH, kill it! Kill it with fire!".
Isn't that the point?

I thought going full Harmony/Supremacy/Purity was supposed to be A HORRIFYING VISION OF THINGS TO COME. Being simultaneously revolted-and-terrified at what your neighbors have done to their humanity seems to be the standard diplomatic position in late-game BE.

And it's the whole reason why, flavour-wise, you will march your army across their land to blow up their win wonder.

If I didn't want to play as a brain in a vat hooked up to a computer screen with a glaring face on it, why did I buy Beyond Earth?

Isn't that the point?

I thought going full Harmony/Supremacy/Purity was supposed to be A HORRIFYING VISION OF THINGS TO COME. Being simultaneously revolted-and-terrified at what your neighbors have done to their humanity seems to be the standard diplomatic position in late-game BE.

And it's the whole reason why, flavour-wise, you will march your army across their land to blow up their win wonder.

If I didn't want to play as a brain in a vat hooked up to a computer screen with a glaring face on it, why did I buy Beyond Earth?

Because a modder may fix that. It is very good question and that's my only answer.
I can imagine someone make a mod now.

Another thing that bothering me is that why EVERYONE dress in greeco-roman or western suit as a way to represent, wait for it, pinnacle of old earth's humanity.

The idea of what it implied is pretty depressing for me, although I pretty sure it is caused by artist don't see the need for it.

Another thing that bothering me is that why EVERYONE dress in greeco-roman or western suit as a way to represent, wait for it, pinnacle of old earth's humanity.

The idea of what it implied is pretty depressing for me, although I pretty sure it is caused by artist don't see the need for it.

I am 99.999% certain that I'm giving the devs more credit than they deserve here, but to an extent I think Purity is supposed to give off a bit of a "Dat's rayciss!" vibe, given that they are unapolagetically backwards-thinking atavists.

So if you feel like you've been microaggressioned, I'd say the flavour is functioning correctly.

People tend to like looking at themselves. Going full-monster, psychologically, tends to break the immersion of your own personal avatar.

There are, of course, exceptions - everyone has different limits to what they accept as immersion. But Firaxis aren't going to be able to please them all.

I am 99.999% certain that I'm giving the devs more credit than they deserve here, but to an extent I think Purity is supposed to give off a bit of a "Dat's rayciss!" vibe, given that they are unapolagetically backwards-thinking atavists.

So if you feel like you've been microaggressioned, I'd say the flavour is functioning correctly.
*audible sigh*. To me, it is not seems like what was Purity is intended to be and it is more like lack of budget/work for art team.

Could anyone seriously imagine Barre, African big guy who I'd say he has severe inferiority complex to European to dress like he was a red walking steampunk lightbulb instead of any of this?, and that applied to anyone not from European and Americas.

People tend to like looking at themselves. Going full-monster, psychologically, tends to break the immersion of your own personal avatar.

There are, of course, exceptions - everyone has different limits to what they accept as immersion. But Firaxis aren't going to be able to please them all.

That's where modder come in for the game that worth modding for, IMO.

I'm afraid I must dissent. There are times and places for dramatic changes to aesthetics, and there are times when subtlety is better. Personally, I like that some of the leaders aren't as over the top with the affinity as others, and sometimes a slight change is all you need to get the point across - elegance is doing the most with the least, after all. Besides, the Super Sneaky Spy leader not being glaringly obvious about his affinity? Actually makes sense and seems like a good idea.

Isn't that the point?

Ehhh...it can't be too visually confronting. The best aesthetic of these affinities would be to provide a gradual change. Although one would expect greater "evolution" of harmonists because you'd want to distinguish them from purity/harmony, it shouldn't involve a radical overhaul of humanity. With supremacy though, I'd expect a lot more change, because the affinity is all about moving on from the flesh to machine. Although, the aesthetics do seem to be like hologram faces for supremacy, especially when you consider the yellow eyes.

it shouldn't involve a radical overhaul of humanity
If you listen to the Hybrid Affinity featurette, I hope you will note that it opens with "Lead your people to new frontiers and shape a new future for humanity".
It does not open with "Bumble along as you were, I guess".

So this may be a case of "No, my opinions > your opinions", but I must strongly disagree.

It should be a radical overhaul.
That's what all the ideologies are.
Even Purity, which is less "Remain Human" and more "Become Spess Muhreen".

How to please everyone : Leader appearance and Affinity.

1. Appearance-wise On this scale, How "radical" do you want each leader to look like?

1 - BE - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - Starships - 9 - 10

2a. How do you imagine "level 10" radical-ness leader would look like in Supremacy
a) Hologram of sentinent AI
b) Borg
c) elegant humanoid robot
d) metallic robot
etc...

2b. and Harmony?
a) Animal-human-alien hybrid
b) Plant-human-alien hybrid
c) Green skin human
etc...

2c. Instead of choices for Purity, Let me ask you this. What do you imagine a leader of ubermenschen clothing should be like? and what is your idealized version of human?
2ca. Should leader of max leveled Purity represent their own culture or an unified culture of humanity? If latter, How unified culture looks like?
etc.

3. Do you think making non-bald leader entirely or partially appear hairless the show their radical-ness?

4. How much armor do you like in the leaders?

and then make mods out of it.

Easy! /the last phrase is intend to be sarcastic.

On your scale, if BE is a 2 and Starships is an 8, then I guess I'd prefer BE leaders to look like a 5, maybe a 6. Though, for Purity, I really like the Starship ones.

The culture that Purity should be derived from is an interesting topic. It would be cool to see unique cultures with their own versions of Purity based off of idealized views of their own past time periods. Though, it would probably make the most sense to unify the cultures into one idealized, neutral version for all, to better implement it into the game.

I agree on the modding. Unfortunately, for Firaxis to rely on modders would not go down well in this community at least.

Yes, how dare people be so close-minded as not be welcoming enough to developers who say "Our game is lacking and we can't be arsed to do more, but by all means feel free as the paying customer to do it for us."

How to please everyone : Leader appearance and Affinity.

1. Appearance-wise On this scale, How "radical" do you want each leader to look like?

1 - BE - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - Starships - 9 - 10
8-10
2a. How do you imagine "level 10" radical-ness leader would look like in Supremacy
a) Hologram of sentinent AI
b) Borg
c) elegant humanoid robot
d) metallic robot
etc...
It would depend, all of those would be good options, and it should vary from leader to leader
2b. and Harmony?
a) Animal-human-alien hybrid
b) Plant-human-alien hybrid
c) Green skin human
etc...
It would depend, all of those would be good options, and it should vary from leader to leader
2c. Instead of choices for Purity, Let me ask you this. What do you imagine a leader of ubermenschen clothing should be like? and what is your idealized version of human?
2ca. Should leader of max leveled Purity represent their own culture or an unified culture of humanity? If latter, How unified culture looks like?
etc.
In general they should tend towards less/looser clothing (ubermenschen human form) and appear slightly healthier (Elodie loses the mild hunch)

I'd say own culture would be best, but "unified" Greco-Roman culture would be OK (particularly with Anyone except PAC (as all of the Americas, Africa, Australia, Europe, and Near East have been heavily influenced by Greco-Roman culture)

3. Do you think making non-bald leader entirely or partially appear hairless the show their radical-ness?
It would depend, not required sometimes might be good, but you want to keep the leaders identity recognizable
4. How much armor do you like in the leaders?
It would depend, it should vary from leader to leader (Brasilia maybe NSA should have more, Chensu and FI less)

I'm not on the side of going to far. I'm sorry about the guy that wanted to "play as a brain in a vat" but I think this is the Alpha Centauri mood they wanted to deviate from in Beyond Earth - Indeed both CivV and BE seem to be positively focused - evolving, but not becoming monsters - despite war and other leaders thinking you do not deserve much, of course...).

Despite that, it irks to me that most affinities are mainly recolors... and just a little bit of face details... there should be more details changing at least. Take Khavita in example:

http://plonq.org/up/544d19c727f32.png

Check the gold details that appear at the bottom of her ¿gown?. Nice for a first step of embellishing the dress, but ¡what a missed opportunity in the following ones!. You should spect this "antique" gold pattern should keep only in purity (maybe more embellished with jewelry and embroidery). But why keep it in harmony? Shouldn't it tend to be replaced with scales/leafs/... as you get more connected to the nature of the plannet. ¿And why don't slip some wires/connectors/other interfaces, when moving further into supremacy?
Additionally other details such as the headdress might change in a similar way (becoming more organic-like for harmony, more tech-like for supremacy). Also textiles could keep silky or cottony for purity, become more crude skin-fur for harmony (from already dead aliens if you want to keep the trehugger vibe ;P), and more square-y plastic/metal pieces and sintentic fibers for supremacy.

These little details (models get more detailed with affinity progress, but details are always the same) are for me one of the most important things that make affinity progress feel bland... you don't feel like progress in an affinity makes the faction deviate from other possibilities... (as you do i.e., with the units). It just feels the same, in other color.

And it does not need a full rework of the model... just caring a bit more about these extra details...

Of course, full affinity-specific dress like in starships would rock (gathered some images in the spoiler below in case someone has missed the examples). And it shouldn't be that work intensive since the deviations in there probably do not impact the movement defined for a base model, is just a change in the volumes that cover it. But in case there is not enough time/budget, please just care a bit more about the details!

Spoiler :

Moreover considering that Exis, the artists of the concepts/models above, are also working in beyond earth... Some extra love for base game models (and even for the newcomers) would be appreciated. Damn!, even if it was a DLC!.

Top Bottom