1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Handy 21 Regular Pangaea AWD again

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by handy900, Oct 9, 2005.

1. handy900

handy900 Deity

That is one wide front we have, so keep that capital unguarded to keep luring the AI to one central kill zone. :thumbsup:

It is hard to do, but we should try to keep at least one core city on an infrastructure build if at all possible. Looks like we have 2 ducts going in the screen shot, so that's good.

Roster
    1. Handy
    2. ThERat
    3. Greebley
    4. M60A3TTS
    5. Obormot
    6. Sir Bugsy UP

2. Obormot

Obormot Old warmonger

I built ducts in towns that needed them because i figured that population growth is most important and because ducts are cheap for us (AGR). But i'm not sure if we have to build anything else now, maybe some libs would be good.

3. handy900

handy900 Deity

Handy 22 will be a C4 AW game and each of you have a spot if you want it. :thumbsup: If you can't play, let me know so I can fill the spot.

4. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I have it. I'll start tonight and post progress.

5. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Pre-flight – 50 AD – Damn, that is one seriously long front. I know we need to consolidate it a bit, but I’m not sure how. I change Quiriguá to a pike just cause we need more defenders. Plus we’re already building several settlers. Swap the builds in Lagartero and Calakmul. Lagartero is producing more shields so it gets the knight and Calakmul is now a treb.

IBT – How can you keep track of what happens with automation turned off? I think we lost a knight and killed a Iro knight, but I’m not sure.

70 AD – Kills: Iroquois archer, spear and knight. German archer. Roman horse. French knight.
    @ Oil Springs – Kill a defending spear.
    Lost: JT to a Roman horse.

IBT – Retreat two Iro knights. An empty Grumpus Prime attracts a lot of flies.

90 AD – Attack Oil Springs, kill the two spears defending and raze that sucker.

The Iroquois just lost their source of horses.
    Rinse and repeat at Kahnawake killing two spears.

We can pick up a source of gems just south of here.

Then picking off a stray Iro LB…

Kills: German knight, French knight, two Iro knights which produces…

IBT – Lose a pike in Palenque.

To be continued….

6. handy900

handy900 Deity

I can't. I turn off movement, but leave battles on (unless I'm firing a bunch of big guns all in sequence).

Two leaders? Excellent. :thumbsup: If we can assign our lesser armies to pillage duty for the remainder of the game and attack with knight armies we can keep the push going. The fewer horse units we face the better we can manage a long front.

That is a wicked front though.

7. Obormot

Obormot Old warmonger

I also turn movement off and battles on, it is still possible to keep track of their movement for me.

It is good that we finally started getting leaders as i had a lot of elite wins and only got one on the last turn. I think we should use knight armies to raze several french and german core cities. If we can cripple iroquois, french and germans then we'll be able to expand fairly easily. Emty capital attrackts most units and narrows the front effectively, we should take advantage of that to free the armies for razing and pillaging.

8. M60A3TTS

M60A3TTS Ex-treadhead

I think we should stay focused on the Iros and pile on the armies there, and not disperse our forces. We should be able to sweep across them in a general direction of east to west.

9. handy900

handy900 Deity

I'll post some screen shots when Bugs finishes for a tactical discussion.

Yes, this tactic has worked quite well in this game. :hmm: I wonder if the fact the capital is so close to our borders is influencing the AI.

10. ThERat

ThERat Deity

awesome progress Bugs
    no horses for the Iros means a lot. if we can manage to get this to Germans and French instead of fighting 3 civs, we might have a chance.
    It's an absolutely brilliant game as farewell to civ3 AW

11. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Ya, good work so far.

I keep hoping that pressing south will reach the other side and shorten our lines. It should eventually given that most of the civs seem to the west of us.

12. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

110 AD – Attack the new Portuguese city of Luanda and…

IBT – Several Iroquois run off to the south. Please let them be at war with the Vikings or someone like that. Pressure building in the west. Shifting away from the center.

130 AD – Just playing a zone defense while we heal some armies up.

We also attack Oka and redline our AC Army, but…

IBT – Quiriguá barely hangs on as we lose two pikes.

150 AD – More zone defense. On the east coast kill two defenders in the Iroquois city of Goigouen.

Some intel. Portugal has 12 cities, Germany 11, Rome 13. France and the Iroquois have over 20.

IBT – Most of the Iroquois are heading south, although Greebaminaljuyú is now under a great deal of pressure.
    French build the Sistine Chapel.

170 AD – Attack the new pike and LB in Goigouen and…

Pick off an Iroquois settler pair trying to resettle their horses.

190 – Playing the zone defense…

That’s a third knight army. I’m having trouble gathering enough knights to fill these armies.

Amazingly, I’m using the three knight armies for the zone defense and our obsolete armies for not only pillaging, but razing cities.

Attack Mauch Chunk and kill two defenders.

IBT – Invension=>gunpowder (due in 15 with positive cash flow – 50%)

210 – Attack Kawauka and raze it…

Attack Mauch Chunk. Collect several slaves as we raze it.

Over at Kente…

IBT – We lose the AC army that just took out Kente. It kills two Iroquois knights, but succumbs to a third.

To be continued…

13. Obormot

Obormot Old warmonger

Good work. How about slowing our research a bit so that we can hurry settlers in corrupt land to fill the freed space?

14. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

230 – Kill three pikes at Grand River. Nail several knights in our kill zone.

250 – Kill one pike at Grand River, but red line our AC Army. Retreat to heal. Kill two pikes in Munich, kill two invaders around Calakmul. Kill two more around Valencia. Portugal has planted another city on the east coast.

Here is a fairly complete run down of the situation. On the western front:

Here in the west central, the AI was using the two yellow paths to penetrate to the interior, but that has dried up and hasn’t been used for about four turns. May come back though.

Obviously Valencia has become quite popular the last two turns. There was a slow trickle, but that is a bit more. There is a settler pair which I think should go to pink dot.

Here is the southern part of the Iroquois front. There is a settler pair in place to settle at red dot. The JT army is protecting several slaves that should be able to hook up the gems.

After the AC armies heal they can either attack weakly defended cities or pillage like crazy. The yellow lined MDI is on the Iroquois horse source, of course. Don’t let them resettle there. They are down to about five knights.

Then there is the great void from razing Iroquois cities. We have the settlers to settle the three green dots. Those would give us nice spacing and consolidate the central front a bit.

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Handy21,_250_AD.SAV" align="" border="0" />

15. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

We presently have five settlers.

16. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Well we continue to expand. This is most excellent. I think we have a chance at least. (UN is still a very real threat).

I think we should start keeping cities. It will mean we don't have to pull them from existing cities and hopefully we can push the Iroquois out of the game.

17. handy900

handy900 Deity

I will start this tonight. If we can sustain a pillaging campaign from here on we will slow the tech pace and give ourselves a chance to kill the AI before the UN. Alternatively let's hope we will have the big guns and cav armies necessary to raze any city that does begin to build it. Keeping resources and lux out of AI hands gives us a big edge, so that needs to be a priority. At least we don't have to worry about inserting an army onto the other continent.

Pillage, expand.

Me too. :D

18. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Maybe due to all the Civ4 craze, this game stays a little under the radar. But, IMHO this game is simply unbelievable. It shows that we have learned so much about AW, we can even take on the AI on pangaea at this size and level. The situation seemed hopeless already.
    Now, it seems it is actually an advantage to share the land, no transportation issues, we can raze and inflict nice damage and the AI is wating all their shields for units.

And I have to say, I again learned a lot from other players, like Obormot, who always expands like mad (I am too cautious I think).

I think this team really rocks.:goodjob:

Let's make this a memorable Civ3 win :)

19. handy900

handy900 Deity

I got it, but got a late start. Here is what I did so far...

Our Eastern Front is full of empty cities. :wow:
    Let’s see what MM can do for us.
    I MM Tikal to 14spt for 5 turn knights but it can’t grow. Build workers in corrupt cities and join here. Same for Lagartero – join workers, it’s can grow and also pull 10spt.
    2 cities from 9 to 10spt cities :D
    Start with +5gpt and Guns in 12. End with +6gpt and guns in 8. :thumbsup:
    Lots of good hills we can settle on. We should try to avoid flat land if at all possible, even if it screws up CxxC a little.
    I think I will sacrifice a worker to build a colony on the Gems so we can get a quick road and free those workers to tasks elsewhere.
    We need more rock throwers, so I set some cities to these.
    Notice we have yet to meet the Vikings. Once we do we will need to defend the coast, so it would be wonderful to get cavalry before we meet them.
    Turn 1 260
    Wins xxx
    Lose 0
    Letting the armies heal.
    One AC army will stay back for Defense in the east while an AC army and Jav army pillage and raze more of the Iroquois.
    We need to raze Munich and ICS our way down those hills to France.

IBT
    No attacks

Turn 2 270
    Colony on gems to hook them up and lux goes to 20
    Kills xxxxxxx
    Losses 0
    Still loads of AI near Calakmul.
    Wow, that took a long time to play 2 turns.

to be continued... should finish tomorrow.

20. Own

Own Grasshoppah

No more GOMOAW civ3 games :cry: ? I was hoping to see small sid continents or tiny pangaea.