Handy 23 Random AWE

I'd like to try another.

Great work, Rat. :goodjob:

BTW, are we going to try another random AWE after this one?
I am definitely up for that. AW in Civ3 is pretty refreshing for change from Civ4.
I like the fact that a lot of action is going on in Civ3. It plays very different from Civ4. Actually the time spent for 10 turns are pretty similar (I am talking about late game here), but it's because Civ3 is much faster while at the same time more units are handled.

This time, we hopefully end up with a 'worse' starting position...or maybe we are too good for AWE already?

oh on a sidenote, my leader luck was absolutely horrendous, for the countless elite victories not a single MGL...Greebley is surely getting at least 3 of them in his 10 turns...

Great job, guys :goodjob:
I thought i'll have to play at least one more turnset, but you were much faster then i expected. :D

I would like to play another civ3 AW game. If we want AWE them maybe we can throw away the first start if it will be too good for us :mischief:

I'm up for another. Regardless of how well the AI handles AW in Civ3 vs 4, I just think Civ 3 gives you a more "epic" feel.

I'm up for another. If we go AWE I'd suggest Portugal or England. If we go the "Good AW Civ" route then perhaps AWDG Pangaea.

A "good start" on AWDG Pangaea without the Glib might be a decent challenge.

But I'm up for whatever.

This start was pretty good, but there was also some pretty decent opening play. :D

Greebley said:
I just like the idea of a random civ I guess.

We could compromise, eliminating about ten of the obviously good AW civs and choosing randomly from the rest.

Preturn: I do rush a bunch of settlers. I want to fill the land quickly.

IBT: We lose a cavalry

1160 AD: We spot a size 1 island. Can you say domination victory?
Capture Madras
I think the island is big enough to get 66% for Domination. I start disbanding far units to get temples in key towns - especially the cannon.

1170 AD: Find the Viking Island.
Capture Hyderabad, Jaiper, and Punjab.
We have 26 settlers now :D

1180 AD: Attack Chittagong.
More disbanding for temples and such.

IBT: Indians take back Jaiper. It was only lightly defended. We lost a single cavalry.

1190 AD: Capture Chittagong. Take Jaiper back

IBT: A Berserk Captures an ex-Aztec town.

1200: Capute Aztec Town back.
Capture Delhi which has JSB and Pyramids (as well as the GLib).
Glad we are past Education and don't have to disband it.
Up to 59% I am more used to being up to rails by the end so the end is slow (slow settlers). We would have won on turn 2 if we had rails.
It appears Egypt and Vikings started on their own littler continent.

Capture Bengal. India has one visible city now.

1210 AD: Attack the Aztec Island.
Start attack on last city. 61%

1220 AD: Capture Dacca and the Indians are destroyed!
We capture an Aztec city and plant some cities. We are up to 65%

We must have gotten a border expansion to push us over. We win in the IBT.

We can choose the first game that has no food bonus nor one of the "obvious" AW civs. I think that is saying the same thing.

No:
Rome
Iroquois
Maya
Ottoman
Sumeria
Greek
We have done Babylon at least twice that I know about.

Who else? German? I am sure I am forgetting some.

Lets also officially ban F11.
Do we want to ban looking at the victory conditions? I think the Graphs of relative power should be banned, but it would be interesting to not know the other civs culture, population, etc on the victory screen. We have to guess if we have to rush to stop a cultural victory.
I would say yes just because it adds more mystery :D

wow, Greebley, I knew you can do it, but still that was fast

:goodjob: to the Grumpy team...

as for the next game, I'd also say, no checking of anything but our own happiness....no power,no %, basically nothing

How about one of the really bad civs for AW.

Portuguese
Americans

The reason that was kind of easy was that two civs were crippled on a small continent (Egypt and Scandanavia) plus we has a lot of room to grow.

Lets also officially ban F11.
Do we want to ban looking at the victory conditions? I think the Graphs of relative power should be banned, but it would be interesting to not know the other civs culture, population, etc on the victory screen. We have to guess if we have to rush to stop a cultural victory.
I would say yes just because it adds more mystery

We will just ban eveything except checking on our own happiness. We may not know exactly how many tiles we need to dominate, but we should be able to look at the map and "guesstimate" well enough. I will start looking for a save with everything but map size set to random. Standard map size seems good enough. I will post the map here and we can start a new thread if we like the map.

All Random except map size [standard] - The first 4 starts that cam up in order:
Mongols - Can't remember playing them. Decent AW civ with a good UU. Militaristic and expansionist [the least useful trait for AW IMO].
Portuga - Worsh AW civ [IMO] on a poor decent start.
Sumeria - Did not save this one. It was a killer food rich on a river with hill & lux start, and we have played them alot.
France - IIRC we have never played France in AW, and the start has lots of jungle for the AI to camp out in.

As far as I know we haven't played ANY expansionist civ which is why I don't want to just limit it to 2 civs that are the worst.

I think all 3 of those games are acceptable. I am in favor of rolling a 6 sided die - 1,2 mongols, 3,4 Portugal, 5.6 France. That way we are still not choosing.

I assume all other settings are random? And standard size.

Greebley said:
I think all 3 of those games are acceptable. I am in favor of rolling a 6 sided die - 1,2 mongols, 3,4 Portugal, 5.6 France. That way we are still not choosing.
I assume all other settings are random? And standard size.

Yes - All random except the size which is standard. This includes barbs, rivals, age, temp, water the whole deal.

I like the die idea and rolled a 3 so it's Portugal which should be an a good challenge.

Should we move the Scout N to the oasis and post another screen shot?

New Thread for Handy 24 If you need to drop no big deal, just let me know. Otherwise sign in at the new thread. :)

Congratulations to all on this one. :hatsoff:

Top Bottom