Happy days are here! I was able to return Civ 5!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 of you who say the company lost that key forever are wrong. A key is nothing. They are not losing it, they just invalidate it so you can't use it. But that doesn't mean now they can sell 1 less game.

Im confused.. How do they sell it without a steam key or SOR it .. The key can only be invalidated by steam

Im confused.. How do they sell it without a steam key or SOR it .. The key can only be invalidated by steam

They don't -

Presumably, Best Buy will do the same thing they'd do if the product were returned with a scratched disk... They'd return it to the publisher. I have to assume the publisher is aware they've used Steam DRM and would consequently contact Steam to invalidate the key.

I'm still failing to see the issue...

Ok, seems you guys need a simplified example.

If I make a website which requires a password to enter, and sell a login to one of you, if you return it I can just disable that login. I don't loose anything...

Mmh it's almost the same, wanted to simplify it more, but I hardly can when the game key thing is already so simple.

Put your torches down folks, I'm pretty sure that there are some smart people out there who are able to undo key validation for a Steam account.
Moderator Action: Promoting piracy is agains the forum rules.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Huh? :huh: "I meant smart people at Steam or BestBuy that knows how to undo a Steam purchase" - Nothing about encouraging piracy...

Put your torches down folks, I'm pretty sure that there are some smart people out there who are able to undo key validation for a Steam account.

And I am sure that Best Buy would not object to returning a "damaged" DVD to the distributor for a replacement. Awwww, how did that scratch get there?

As soon as the distributor gets the return, they most certainly report the defunct key to ensure it is disabled.

It doesn't matter, even if the key in not valid he can still play forever in offline mode.
Good job tbh :)

I'm just glad that KY won't be making anymore stupid polls, whining about bugs, whining about gameplay, whining about mechanics, whining, whining, and more whining....

Bye KY

You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who
makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea.

Moderator Action: Please don't personally attack other members, thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Everone should have the right to return a product that he/she doesn't like. It is not he OP's fault that the game uses Steam and that he can technically still play it even after returning it. It's up to the publisher to make sure that the game gets deactivated since is was them who chose the distribution method.

It's unfortunate that the store didn't have a no-returns policy.

I believe that the onus should be on the customer to ensure they research games they buy, before playing it and deciding you don't like it.

Do you buy a book, and then a week later, return it and say 'Sorry, I didn't like the book, I insist on getting my money back?' No, you don't, do you? Interesting.

You could with physical books. A lot of stores like Borders and Barnes and Noble will let you return books with 30 days.

I think the larger issue is that with the transition to digital goods, returns, trades, exchanges, borrowing, etc all become very different than what we are used to. For instance, I own a Kindle and like to lend out books to friends and get books from them. This is not possible in the Kindle world...now as I knew this before purchasing no big deal.

This is one good reason to buy software from Best Buy...

I talked to a manager about returning the game and they said that they usually don't do it, and only do so if the software is physically damaged, but they are willing to give me store credit in exchange after I told them about how crappy and buggy Civ 5 was... I was like SWEET! Bye bye Civ Dumbed, maybe see you in a couple years after all the users have done the beta testing for 2K/Firaxis and emptied their pockets on DLC. In the meantime, I have Civ 4 BTS w/mods to keep me at bay.

If you are also one who was scammed by 2K, if you bought from Best Buy, or any other store for that matter, it's worth a try to talk to a manager and get a refund/store credit. Also, if you are a kid I would recommend having a grown adult speak on your behalf so that it doesn't look like you are just pirating games.

I have to say that I'm lucky to get store credit and have learned my lesson. It's not like the good ol' days when software was functional upon release. If 2K wanted to do the right thing they would offer rebates to all it's customers that have to endure this garbage release. :goodjob:

I'm considering selling some of the SE bonuses on E-Bay, I mean do I really need a dumb art book? If only I thought that before I bought it.

My babushka when she found out how crappy Civ 5 is.
Spoiler :

That's actually not a bad looking sword. Useable in reenactments or just a piece of eyecandy to hang on the wall?

hmmm you should have pirate it and save the cost on gas and your time. Then afterward if the game is good, you would go and buy the game[ wonder if you will do this but some people do this to support the company]
Moderator Action: Promoting piracy is against the forum rules.
There's a demo. If you want to try the game, then play the demo.

If this game is so "broken, buggy, unplayable, boring, stupid" etc, then how come I'm playing the crap out of it?

If this game is so "broken, buggy, unplayable, boring, stupid" etc, then how come I'm playing the crap out of it?
Probably for the same reason that Failout 3 is the Game Of The Year - successfull advertising&marketing campaign, built on a classic title at the least possible effort.

For the same reason Phantom Menace was a commercial success.

But hey, enjoy it if you can - I'm actually bitter cause I'm envious - I can't get ANY joy from Civ5 :(

Either you haven't played PC games long or you live in a fantasy land.

You are more likely the "noob". Before the internet patches were few and far between, and games (all programs really) were a lot more complete upon release. I played Civ1 for several years before my brother in law brought a patch on a 5.25" floppy. He was a BBSer.

Probably for the same reason that Failout 3 is the Game Of The Year - successfull advertising&marketing campaign, built on a classic title at the least possible effort.

You totally sidestepped AbbieRevo's point. Successful advertising and a good marketing campaign don't make for great gaming fun for someone or bad gaming for someone. The game itself makes for great gaming fun for someone. AbbieRevo (and myself) are having loads of fun playing this game because we find plenty of enjoyment out of it. Others don't like it. Advertising/marketing only helps the game sell good/bad; which has nothing to do with AbbieRevo's point.

You totally sidestepped AbbieRevo's point. Successful advertising and a good marketing campaign don't make for great gaming fun for someone or bad gaming for someone. The game itself makes for great gaming fun for someone. AbbieRevo (and myself) are having loads of fun playing this game because we find plenty of enjoyment out of it. Others don't like it. Advertising/marketing only helps the game sell good/bad; which has nothing to do with AbbieRevo's point.

Thanks Charvel, and i feel like I'm feeding a bridge-dweller here, but I also have to say that Fallout 3 (and this is coming from a huge fan of the first two games, and someone who didn't like Oblivion (TES I II and III were a lot more original) ) was and is in my top 10 games.

Quoting this because noone has picked up on it.

If civfanatics doesn't condone piracy then they should also not condone scamming retail stores. So if Yusuf doesn't voluntarily stop playing Civ5, hes as bad as pirated it.

My point exactly, he calls others scammers while scamming himself.
I dont see the diffrence between "software piracy" and this "buy a game, enable it through key, return game but have key already enabled".

Someone will endup buying that game in good faith and find their key already in use, that my fellow fanatics, is "fraudulent". :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom