1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Pingala made the early game duller?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Feb 11, 2019.

?

Will Pingala made the early game duller in your view?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    70.4%
  3. don't care

13 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. In thread response different to the above

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Actually, as per PotatoMcWhiskey's last stream, I think Mali would want Moksha first. 280 faith for a free district is pure cheese.

2. DannyMustardpants

DannyMustardpants Chieftain

With respect, I don’t see how the new Pingala will prevent players from scraping out all the culture they can in the early game. If anything, Pingala would be synergistic with that.

Ferocitus likes this.
  3. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Having a reliable income means you don't scrape and claw anymore. It stops being a desperate scramble and becomes more akin to self-indulgence.

4. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

Will Pingala made the early game duller in your view?

Future and past tense in one sentence? :p

Anyway, we'll see. I do feel that the free envoy you get when you're the first to meet a CS is very unbalanced. It makes too much of a difference so early in the game.

Elhoim likes this.
  5. DannyMustardpants

DannyMustardpants Chieftain

A bit hyperbolic, but I suppose so.

6. StrideColossus

StrideColossus Chieftain

Agreed. From the preview games I've seen it looks like more thought is going to required when choosing which governor / promotions, whereas in R&F the choice was basically Magnus irrespective of the civ, map, VC, etc. because he was so OP. This can only be a good thing.

7. Seek

Seek Chieftain Supporter

Considering about 75% of the new content in GS is late-game, I guess you just saved yourself $40. Congratulations, cya.

Ferocitus and Lupine like this.
  8. anandus

anandus Errorist

Why not?
    The player that scrapes gets a head start. If I don't scrape someone else will, there is ALWAYS someone who meets a certain CS first and you'd want to be that one no matter what.

Pietato and ChocolateShake like this.
  9. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Pingala ≈ Tradition Opening
    Magnus ≈ Liberty Opening

10. Legacy of Smiles

Legacy of Smiles Chieftain

I really wish the Cardinal made founding a religion easier. It'd add a way to reliably found a religion for Georgia and Spain as why would non-religious civs sacrifice Pingala or Magnus?

11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

That's a good point. Woundn't even have to be much--like +2 gpp or something.

12. treadwin

treadwin Chieftain

As a builder, my mindset is that I don't start specializing into my victory type until my civ is established. I find that success is focused on building smoothly with religion, culture, science, production, food, and military balanced, not necessarily in that order. So my early governor choices, government policies, pantheon, religion, etc. are more about bringing up resources that I lack, than maximizing a single resource. I also figure I am going to have to get to a certain number of cities (depending on the map size) to play out the end game. So I have to do that by settlement expansion or conquest. Having more choices in governors makes it much easier to get some of the weaker Civs past the first age or two.

I know victory at a certain difficulty level, or at multiplayer, demands a wide shallow build and a conquest victory, but I don't enjoy that. I enjoy the "difficulty" of winning as Harald on a standard-size, emperor-level, normal continents map. Maybe not everyone's taste, but there it is.

One note on Armani and era scores. Sometimes, based on the start with civs that can do it, I like to start with a dark age. It isn't much of a handicap in certain situations, and having an heroic age as the third age can be spectacular. For certain Civs it can get you a conquest or an expansion age that gives you the city count you need, and for others it comes just when you need to start specializing into your faith/culture/science victory.

darkace77450 and Phoenix1595 like this.
  13. Karmah

Karmah Chieftain Supporter

I miss the 'it is too early to tell' option which happens to be the most sensible one.

14. birbas12

birbas12 Chieftain

I think that governors overall made the game both duller and more complicated without any substantial increase in depth or added strategic value. It increases the skill ceiling (as you are forced to plan and execute governor rotations with precision) but it doesn’t make the game more strategic or interesting.

15. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I like the idea of them just fine, just thought too many of the promotions were uninteresting/no good. We'll see if they're balanced out a little better (though with things like this someone out there will always discover a "best" path though them).

16. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis Chieftain

I absolutely love the rebalancing of governors. I've always thought in R+F that governors were a good idea but lacking in execution. Magnus was so OP, even aside from chopping. Zero pop loss for settlers and stronger internal trade routes are just so handy to start off with every time.

Now, there's more incentive to change strategy. I definitely will be exploring other governor strategies based on the map and my civ. FXS has taken one of my least favorite aspects about r+f and made it into something I'll have a lot of fun trying to figure out the optimal strategy with every game.

Lupine and Bosque like this.
  17. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Not at all.
    First, I have already played over 1800 hours of Civ VI, so I am by definition a Masochist, willing to put up with oodles of botched game design mechanics.
    Second, in 1800 hours I have played as far as the Information Era in exactly one game: hence my assumption, from what I've seen in the GS previews, that they have added nothing that makes me any more inclined to string the game out to that Era again.
    Finally, despite their emphasis on the last Era, which I personally think is badly misplaced but, hey, they will probably still make money on, they also included some intriguing new Civs with some intriguing new Start conditions and some potential bonanzas for the Mod Community, so I've already pre-ordered GS.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  18. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

When I found out Pingala's culture and science promotions were both tier 1, I was a bit surprised.

I like the bonuses he's getting but I wonder if they're a bit too powerful compared to the others or not specialized enough. I think there'll still be plenty of meaningful choices to make between the governors though, especially combos like @Lord Lakely mentioned earlier - looking forward to trying out Mali with Moksha :)

It's certainly an interesting point, a size 10 city being governed by Pingala could become quite a powerhouse early on. On the other hand you will need to ensure that city has enough amenities, maybe there could be a condition to them only being granted to cities that are content. And you'll still want to grab sources of science and culture like @DannyMustardpants said, though not as much as before, so I see where you're coming from. I suppose though they can always tone it down to half a point each if it turns out to be too strong.

Brie or Camembert? :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Fluphen Azine likes this.
  19. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Because there is difference between going from 1 to 2 versus going from 7 to 8. An even less appreciable difference going from 11 to 12. Even less pronounced going 17 to 18.

And so on.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  20. anandus

anandus Errorist

Sure, but you still want to maximize, don't you? Especially since it works both ways, as you deny your competitors the bonus. That reason alone is enough.

Edit:
    Mind you, maybe it's different in singleplayer, I only play multiplayer.

ChocolateShake likes this.