Have a g-mail account?

Do you have a Gmail acount

• Total voters
When Google officially announces gmail (in the near future, most likely), they probably will say that they already got 10 million gmail users, thanks to all those invites sent. :D

You have to give their marketing team credit for the invites idea. It somehow makes gmail more desirable, just because you need an invite to get an account.

Heh, I've got one now.
Part of the hype! Yesssss!!!!!!!

Couldn't get the adress I wanted though which seems a bit odd. Really all combinations with my first and last name were taken and it's not that my name is that common, especially since I'm dutch and the name just doesn't exist outside of my tiny country...

Oh well, now my name is almost equal to my login here. ;)

G-mail doesn't work with Opera as browser.
How do other Opera users circumvent this? Is there a plug-in or a setting I need to change? I tried to identify as IE6 but then it said it required ActiveX to be turned on. I think Opera doesn't have ActiveX but I'm not sure if that's the only problem.

Zwelgje said:
G-mail doesn't work with Opera as browser.
How do other Opera users circumvent this? Is there a plug-in or a setting I need to change? I tried to identify as IE6 but then it said it required ActiveX to be turned on. I think Opera doesn't have ActiveX but I'm not sure if that's the only problem.
Gmail hasn't come up with a
Gmail thing compatible with Opera, so yeah. But it should work on IE6 (or Mozilla or Firefox)
btw, your welcome :)

I got a gmail account courtesy LLXerxes since my hotmail was acting all freaky and my yahoo was overwhelmed with spam.

So far the only things I miss are the white list and the Rich Text Editor. Any analogues in Gmail that I just haven't spotted yet?

Chairman Meow said:
I found that if you have Opera identify as Mozilla, and click "sign in anyway", it will work. This is on Opera 8.0 Beta... I don't know if the same thing will work on Opera 7.54
It doesn't work on Opera 7.54.
I'll upgrade to 8.0 once the final version comes out. :)
Thanks.

ummmm........ said:
I got a gmail account courtesy LLXerxes since my hotmail was acting all freaky and my yahoo was overwhelmed with spam.

So far the only things I miss are the white list and the Rich Text Editor. Any analogues in Gmail that I just haven't spotted yet?
What browser are you using? I realized Firefox has disabled it with Yahoo! Mail, so if I wanna include smileys or hyperlinx I need IE...

I'm using IE. I can include hyperlinks, but I can't figure out how to mask them under a "Click here" or anything, and I can't use bold or italics in gmail.

Hi there,

Thanks for signing up to be updated on the latest Gmail happenings. We hope it's
been worth the wait, because we're excited to finally offer you an invitation to
open a free Gmail account! Just click on this link to create your new account:

Since last April, we've been working hard to create the best email service
possible. It already comes with 1,000 megabytes of free storage, powerful Google
search technology to find any message you want instantly, and a new way of
organizing email that saves you time and helps you make sense of all the
information in your inbox.

And here are just some of the things that we've added in the last few months:

- Free POP access: Take your messages with you. Download them, read them
offline, access them using Outlook, your Blackberry or any other device that
supports POP

- Gmail Notifier: Get new mail notifications and see the messages and their
senders without having to open a browser

- Better contacts management: Import your contacts from Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail,
Outlook, and others to Gmail in just a few clicks. Add phone numbers, notes and
more. Even use search to keep better track of it all.

We also wanted to thank you. For showing us your support and for being so
patient. And to those who have already signed up for Gmail, thank you for giving
it a try and for helping us make it better. Our users are what have made this
product great. So whether you're just signing up for your account or you've been
with us since the beginning, keep letting us know how we can build you the best
email service around.

That's it for now. We hope you like Gmail and will share it with your friends.
We've got lots of cool new stuff planned and we can't wait for you to see our
work in your Gmail accounts! Stay tuned...

I signed up back in june a couple days before someone gave me one. :lol: Sure sounds like they are redy to end testing.:hmm:

Chairman Meow said:
Back in July, when I got my account, someone on another forum told me he didn't want an invitation because he had heard that Google was going to open up Gmail in August. Still waiting.

That maks no sense. He could have had a Gmail account a month sooner. I wouldn't care if I got one a day before public release. :D If he wants one I would be more then glad to give him one of my 50. :D

Social networking is out and straight invitations are in at Google's free email service, but the official line is that it does not signal an end to the beta programme

Google is giving more people the chance to sign up for Gmail, but insists the move does not signify an impending full-scale launch of the free email service, which has been in beta since it launched on April 1 last year.

To date Google has been relying on social networking to roll out Gmail, initially inviting some 2,000 people who were then able to invite a limited number of others themselves. This week though, Google started sending invitations directly to those who have signed up to be kept abreast of updates at the service.

"We're sending invitations to those who supported us during the launch," said a Google spokeswoman. But, she said, "this does not mean that we're out of beta [or] offering open subscriptions to the world".

Interest in the service has been high. It made a stir both because it kicked off the move toward bundling significant amounts of storage with free email accounts -- 1GB in this case -- and because of the revenue model, which relies on context-sensitive adverts placed alongside emails as they are read.

Despite privacy concerns over Gmail, the service has proved alluring. Several of ZDNet UK's early stories on the service have almost turned into bulletin boards for people trying to get hold of accounts. A number of utilities have also appeared to help people manage their Gmail accounts.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,39020369,39188362,00.htm

All signs point to them going public within the next month or so.:hmm:

Top Bottom