HBO: A Game of Thrones (ASOIAF)

The first episodes needed to be slow; they were a hard watch for people unfamiliar with the characters. Having things proceed at a leisurely pace gave viewers a chance to differentiate between the Jons, Robs and Ser Jorah Mormonts.

I agree with the consensus that 8 was the best episode yet. I'm glad the Drogo scene was changed so that we got to see him in actions. Momoa is growing on me every week.

I mean, I knew what was going to happen, but I'm still mad at Sansa.

It's really interesting how much this show tries to redeem fan-hated characters by leaving out their most despised acts (Catelyn, Sansa ...).

I mean, I never hated Catelyn, so theoretically I approve of portraying her in a positive light, but this incidents still made her character rounder and more believable.

I can't wait for the next episode.
I really hope they show some batle scenes and don't screw it up.

Hmm.
I wanted to write THEY SCREWED IT UP !:mad:!:mad:!:mad:!
But technically they didn't. They just didn't show the battle. That's my biggest disappointment with the show until now. This is exactly the old TvTropes definition of Epic Fail (a failure to be epic).
I really would have loved to see Tyrion in the battle. Instead they went with a slapstick excuse to keep in him out of the fighting. Worst of all: This might have been justified in the books, but the series has abandoned the POV format.
Yes, yes, bugdet...TV..other priorities...story that counts.
I get that. I have started to rationalize seconds after after the scene. I'm still disappointed.
Apart from that, excellent as always. No, I have another complaint: Walder Frey looks too young. Shouldn't he be bald and more wrinkled ? Nah, details I can usually get over. All the characters who don't look like I imagined them have more than compensated that with the characterization and acting (with the exception of Cersei).
The Twins and the river on the other hand look very impressive, and Sibel Kekilli was never hotter.

It's really interesting how much this show tries to redeem fan-hated characters by leaving out their most despised acts (Catelyn, Sansa ...).

I mean, I never hated Catelyn, so theoretically I approve of portraying her in a positive light, but this incidents still made her character rounder and more believable.

I don't know if they try to redeem characters, it looks more like a consequence of the change from written first person to filmed third person. Jaime Lannister is much more affable in the show than he was in the books where he's mostly shownt hrough the eyes of Starks who don't like him. He still isn't above killing children, but he's more charming.
I also never understood the Sansa hate. She's a naive child and she pays for it. Catelyn on the other hand deserves all the blame in the world for not realizing that only an imbecile would arm an asassin with his own blade.
What was the most despised act of Catelynyou meant ? The dumbest thing she does is kidnapping Tyrion, but they obviously didn't leave it out.

Oh, another thing I liked but forgot to mention: Tywin Lannister looks like Magneto.

I suspect they just didn't have the budget to show an epic battle. In some ways, it reminds me of a bit of a Shakespearean play, where old Willie had to communicate what happened in the battles without having a battlefield to show on stage. Maybe the next season will have a bigger budget and they'll be able to show some battles.

Other than that, a terrific episode and I think they pretty well nailed Lord Stark's execution. I wonder if that shocked people who haven't read the books.

A lot of people must be rooting for Joffrey to die now. But geeze, he still hasn't gotten as bad as he's going to get.

The Catelyn hate seems to be mainly justified by her "I wish you were at Bran's place" moment to Jon when Bran's still unconscious from his fall, which is also what I was referring to. She also gets a lot of flak because of the arresting Tyrion issue, sure, but that's more because of her naive trust in Littlefinger than a genuine character flaw.

I have to agree on the battles; yes, both of them. I can even understand they didn't want to show them for practical reasons - granted. But if you look at how the battle against Lord Bolton's (whom we unfortunately didn't get to see) host is depicted in the books, it's almost perfectly for a TV format. Tyrion surrounded by much bigger clansmen, the early loss of his horse, one luckily won fight, unconsciousness. All of that could've been done with some shots of the armies front lines and only close-ups on Tyrion and his immediate surroundings afterwards, instead of resorting to silly cop-outs.

Whispering Woods was less egregious because the scene's just made for cheap TV, but it's a pity they didn't tell us about the danger Robb was in (fighting Jaime) and Catelyn's worrying about it. 30 seconds of dialogue between her and Rodrik more would've made a much better scene.

Spoiler :
If the battle of the Blackwater gets the same treatment in season 2, though, I'll be seriously annoyed.

The scenes with Shae really made up for it, though. Sibel Kekilli was great, and we got some interesting information about her and Bronn's past. I wonder if there's any significance to Bronn having been beyond the Wall ...

Other than that, a terrific episode and I think they pretty well nailed Lord Stark's execution. I wonder if that shocked people who haven't read the books.

Probably. Sean Bean is giving an Emmy-worthy performance and it's just... over.

Another great episode - I'm also a bit confused as to why they left out the battle, given Tyrion's perspective in the book. I'm not so bothered by them omitting Jaime's capture, but I agree with Leoreth, there should have been some build-up or explanation as to how dangerous this was for Robb.

Re: Battles - To be honest, I'm actually glad they chose not to show the battles at all, rather than attempt some budgeted shots of a dozen extras having a go at each other. Might have ended up looking too much like king Robert´s "hunting party" (yeah, that still cracks me up!).

Although I am definitely hoping the success(?) of season 1 encourages HBO to be a bit more generous next year, so we'll at least get a proper Blackwater Bay.

Re: Catelyn - There was another change to her character in the script in that she doesn't want Ned to go to KL, while in the books she´s the one urging him on...

Re: rest of the episode - getting better and better. Honorary mention to the audio freakshow generated by Mirri Maz Duur.
Minor gripe: Daenerys definitely doesn't look like anywhere near final (or even mid-) stages of pregnancy. You´d think a fake belly would be the one thing easy enough to do...

I have no problem with the lack of high budget battles. If there were too many cash recreating yet another Ridley Scott trademark scenes, then we wouldn't have these rich characters we are seeing from this show.

Want action in Medieval settings, then go watch all of the recent Hollywood movies in the last couple of years. Can't have both. :)

Re: Catelyn - There was another change to her character in the script in that she doesn't want Ned to go to KL, while in the books she´s the one urging him on...
Well, she's flip-flopping in the books, but you're right. Noticed that as well when I re-watched the pilot yesterday.

Is anyone else puzzled how they want to fill the final episode?
Spoiler :
All I can think of is Jon trying to get to Robb's army, "King of the North!" and the mother of dragons thing. All only makes for one scene each with some buildup around it; really enough for episode 10?

Spoiler :
Yeah, have to figure they'll show Jon deserting and him being retrieved by Samwell and others, along with Dany, the fire, and the dragons.

I wonder when they'll release a DVD set for this first season. It's definitely on my want list.

I'd also be interested in a soundtrack CD.

Awesome! I'll wait and buy it with ADWD, then. The perfect soundtrack for reading :D

The first season is more or less equivalent to the first book. There may or may not be a few elements or bits of information included that were in the second book; and likewise a few tidbits from the first book that have not come up in the show yet may be brought to our attention in future seasons. But in terms of macro plot, season 1 = book 1. And apparently season 2 (currently in preproduction) = book 2.

If the show goes on past season 2 it's anybody's guess as to exactly what they'll be doing; book 3 is damn long (pushing toward the limit of what could reasonably be published in one hardcover volume; they had to split the paperback version in two), and books 4 and 5 take place more or less at the same time (each book following different sets of characters that are geographically separated for the duration). They might get as many as five seasons out of those three books; we'll see what happens if it happens.

Meh. Just look at the wiki article. Only 10 episodes for season 1! I was hoping for at least 20 episodes for season 1! :p

Sucks that I have to wait for a Millenia for season 2. :(

Tried googling for any known confirmed reports when season 2 will air, but nothing yet.

Top Bottom