1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

HBO: A Game of Thrones (ASOIAF)

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by scherbchen, Mar 14, 2010.

1. North King

North King blech

They didn't just not show the battles. They changed the whole war. Instead of dividing his host and essentially keeping the greater part of the Stark force on the east bank of the Green Fork, Robb basically took his entire army over to the other side to face Jaime. Which of course will make progressively less sense as the campaign goes on, but I imagine they'll just be vague about it and suddenly

Spoiler minor spoiler which won't even make sense if you haven't read the books :
    the Starks will magically arrive at Harrenhal...

2. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

No, Robb did divide his army, it's just not explicitly mentioned before the battle is over. This was a clever move imo, because now the viewer is as surprised as the Lannisters when we find out Robb is actually marching for Riverrun. What they did change is that Roose Bolton's whole army seems to be destroyed, when in the books he managed a retreat under some losses.

Spoiler :
    So they still wind up with problems to get Lord Bolton to Harrenhal.

3. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

Its too early. Anything now would be only a guesstimate.

4. North King

North King blech

Obviously the army was divided in the show, it was just divided wrongly. In the books it's between horse and foot, which is probably in the range of 3-5k:15k, whereas in the show it's two armies of no particular composition, divided 18k:2k. A number of things are wrong here -- Tywin's outriders are supposed to be damned good, so they'd notice Robb's force was an order of magnitude smaller than it should be, and Robb's force is supposed to be all ahorse, and thus maintain superior mobility. In the show apparently he just baited Jaime into a trap and whacked him with his whole friggin army; one wonders where they were hiding all those men.

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Well, I don't think we can infer Robb's tactic from the scene displayed, but you're right: it seems that the force east of the Trident wasn't all of Robb's footmen.

6. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Well, we're close to the season finale and the end is near. Shame the season ran from April to June. No way to use "winter is coming" for the premier or the finale, missed opportunity here.
    I've been watching youtube reviews and reaction vids to of last episode on this boring Saturday.
    I would embed some, but I think it's against the forum rules to embed vids with swearing ? You may search youtube for "Game of Thrones" and "Larry"...

Anyway, I'd like to know what the forum members who haven't read the books think about the end of episode 9. A lot of people on the internet seem to be pretty pissed off...

7. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

I don't mind the Tyrion battle work around, having him stab a horse with his helmet would have been too bizarre and killed the episode for me...

I agree about Robb's battle; it seemed poorly handled by the show and really could have done with a less jarring segue... I would have shown the ambush occurring so that it looks less like Robb kidnapped Jamie from his forest home.

8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Pissed off at whom? Cersei/Joffrey, i.e. the responsible characters, or at the creators?

If it's the latter, I really cannot understand this kind of reaction. I guess people are still too accustomed to this Hollywood like golden rule of "no harm can happen to my main character", and they deserve such hard awakening.

Spoiler :
    And I don't even want to begin to imagine how they'd react to ASOS, then ...

9. RedFusion

RedFusion tOSU 37 scUM 7

Knowing HBO, expect it to start airing around April of next year.

10. Yui108

Yui108 Chieftain

Spoiler :
    I'm not quite caught up on the show, has Drogo died yet?

11. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Chieftain

Spoiler :
    He's a goner.

12. Scratch

Scratch ça ne fait rien

I don't know if it was as good of a finale as I may have wanted, but it was satisfying and leaves enticement for the next season. Pretty much everyone got some screen time.

It's going to be a long wait for spring 2012 and A Clash of Kings to begin.

13. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

I really love Varys and Littlefinger. The actors play off each other so well.

14. GoodSarmatian

Last episode's climax was really hard to top, but they did a good job nonetheless.
    I was looking forward to finally see the dragons, and I ws worried this whole season what they'll look like.
    And they look great. I really love the little guys though I missed the breastfeeding.
    Now they have to replace the Stark dogs with CGI direwolves...

15. Thoughtful Thug

I think it is a little too late to replace the dogs with CGI enhancement. I am sure the people on the set have grown to love the dogs, and maybe the trainers too.

... just saying :p

16. GoodSarmatian

They'll have to be replaced at some point. Their current size can still be justified with them being very young, but this won't fly much longer. Just think about how large the mother in the pilot episode was.

17. GoodSarmatian

The casting for season 2 is well underway, so a quick update and opinions:

Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell.
    Not OK. Too old and creepy eyes. You don't get a 29 year old actress to play 16 year old virgin.
    The series is RUINED !!!
    Spoiler :

Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth
    I don't know this lass, but her size (1.91 m or 6 ft 3) should qualify her for the role.
    A good choice I guess.
    Spoiler :

Gemma Whelan as Yara Greyjoy (Asha Greyjoy, renamed so moronic viewers don't confuse her with Osha :rolleyes:)

Don't know her either, but she's cute :) and looks a bit like I imagined Asha, but the nose is not right and since Alfie Allen doesn't look anything like Theon Greyjoy we have two siblings on the show who totally don't look like siblings.
    WHO'S RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CASTING ?!?!?! ARE THEY EVEN TRYING ?!?!?! :mad:
    You can't just go around and change names and noses.

Spoiler :

There's also rumors that Christopher Eccleston will join the cast, possibly as Stannis Baratheon, but it's just rumors at this point.

18. holy king

holy king Chieftain

somewhat spoiler storm of swords

Spoiler :
    nevermind direwolfs, how are they going to put an army of giants riding mammoths on screen?

19. Thoughtful Thug

A 29 year old playing a part of a 16 year old? That is ridiculous. If anything, she look older than a 29 year old. Meh... At least we still got Emilia Clarke and the other chicks in the show to look at.