HBO: A Game of Thrones (ASOIAF)

scherbchen

well that can´t be good
well shame on you for not having a thread on the greenlit series for HBO of A song of Ice and Fire. or shame on me for being blind, I had a sip of Arya's drink yesterday.

anyhoo, one of the most stunning fantasy series (if not the most stunning one) is coming to HBO, the pilot has been shot, it has been greenlit and the cast is assembled.

this is the cast (taken from the Giant in the Playground forums and totally ripped off of user YorickBrown on that board, no credit to me):

who are (this is a bit outdated and again all credit to the cited person and quoted from his post)

Spoiler :
1. Sean Bean as Lord Eddard Stark
2. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
3. Jennifer Ehle as Lady Catelyn Stark
4. Tamzin Merchant as Daenerys Targaryen
5. Lena Headey as Queen Cersei Lannister
6. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jaime Lannister
7. Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon
8. Kit Harington as Jon Snow
9. Richard Madden as Robb Stark
10. Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark (unconfirmed)
11. Maisie Williams as Arya Stark
12. Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark
13. Jack Gleeson as Prince Joffrey Baratheon
14. Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel (unconfirmed)
15. Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont
16. Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen
17. Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark (unconfirmed)
18. Rory McCann as Sander Clegane
19. Alfie Owen-Allen as Theon Greyjoy
20. Jamie Campbell Bower as Ser Waymar Royce
21. Richard Ridings as Gared
22. Bronson Webb as Will
23. Esme Bianco as Ros

and a production still to further wet your appetite: http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/hbo-greenlights-game-of-thrones-.html

personally, I am ecstatic about Sansa, Arya and Daenerys (given the fact that these are only headshots and there is another one I like better of the actress who plays Arya, let me see if I can find it)). and Sean Bean gets to die in another movie/tv show. what's not to like? poor bastard.

EDIT: a better one of Arya

and this is Drogo

Continuing the topic from the other thread...

You should probably get a doctor to check out that cough. Anyway, I don't wanna defend child killing, but killing a guy for snoring and trying to kill a child that might have caused the deaths of both of them along with three children if left alive are two different things. It is reprehensible, but try and put yourself in that situation. Let the child live and 5 people might die. Let the child die and only the kid might die. It is a tough call for any person versed in the negatives of the situation.

yay, is there any info when this will be aired?

I'm a bit disappointed about Daenerys, she was cuter in my head :)

Cersei seems to be fitting, she looks beautifully evil even in that headshot :)

btw, there was a thread about it some time back when it was first announced, I think :)

The series kind of fell off my radar a year ago when A Dance with Dragons still wasn't finished, but it is definitely the best fantay series I've ever read (don't read much fantasy though). I just hope the series doesn't get cancelled after one or two seasons and doesn't catch up with the books before Martin has finished writing them.

About the cast: Seems OK except for Theon Greyjoy. He doesn't look anything like that. The Lannisters are perfect (well, except the hair color).
And where are Varys and Littlefinger ? I think number 16 would make a good Littlefinger.

There was what, a 5 year hiatus between books? At that point, my interest is lost :p

There was what, a 5 year hiatus between books? At that point, my interest is lost :p
the reports about the supposedly short attention span of Americans obviously are vastly exaggerated ;)

Not really. I didn't like it enough to reread it all at that point. And it was too long for memory to serve. In fact, I had forgotten about the series altogether and it was years later before I ever even heard that it had been continued.

Interests move on. Anyone producing an ongoing entertainment needs to keep an eye on the audience and not neglect it.

well I stopped paying attention after Dance was not finished as was promised in... was it 2007? that means I only checked his website about once a month, though ;) when it is done it is done. I'd rather have memorable scenes and, who are we kidding, deaths than trite fantasy run-off-the-mill predictable evil/good crud.

airing in 2011 is last info I have, Ovi.

and I am worried just like Sarmatian, though I am more worried about the series being so vast (though I do believe it lends itself to tv rather nicely with the umpteen cliffhangers per book and the pretty much set-in-stone pov chapter style) and the books are coming out rather slowly that it is more likely that season 5 (if we ever get that far, Rome was cancelled very quickly imho) will be done while book 6 is still only a prologue long.

I'd sacrifice you all for to the Crow for a leaked pilot I don't mind telling you btw.

always fun: a top 5 of favourite ASOIAF major characters (minor characters are fun as well, mind you). rarely are two the same.

mine would have to be Jaime, Arya, Daenerys, Tyrion, Brienne (note the absence of Jon Snow). if Bronn makes a reappearence he has to fight Brienne for the last spot. if Cersei survives she fights the survivor of that battle or Brienne.

also: who are we rooting for to win? if anybody is going to come out the "winner" which is debatable. this is getting into the further development of the books and not so much the HBO series, mind you, but I do not want to start a second thread about the series.

always fun: a top 5 of favourite ASOIAF major characters (minor characters are fun as well, mind you). rarely are two the same.

mine would have to be Jaime, Arya, Daenerys, Tyrion, Brienne (note the absence of Jon Snow). if Bronn makes a reappearence he has to fight Brienne for the last spot. if Cersei survives she fights the survivor of that battle or Brienne.

also: who are we rooting for to win? if anybody is going to come out the "winner" which is debatable. this is getting into the further development of the books and not so much the HBO series, mind you, but I do not want to start a second thread about the series.

It's been almost two years since I finished A feast for Crows and I'm pretty sure there are many minor characters I don't remember any more.
As for favourite main characters I'd say Jaime, Danerys, Tyron, Sansa and maybe Theon Greyjoy if we only count POV characters as main characters.
Arya is becoming too sociopathic while Sansa has had a lot of positive character development and will probably learn a thing or two from Littlefinger. Theon is just one of the most interesting characters in the books and many a flame war has been fought about the justifications and motives for his actions.
My favourite by far is Littlefinger and the only reaso, you can't help but admire his talent for playing everybody around him.

airing in 2011 is last info I have, Ovi.
argh...that's like an eternity...

mine would be (in this order): Tyrion, Daenerys, Brandon, Jon and Brienne

Honourable mentions for Arya, Oberyn, Jaime and Davos Seaworth

The Imp clearly is my favorite out of all :)

the Others, obviously ;)

First episode is being shown April 17th. I'm interested in watching this, although it's been years since I've read the first 2 books and I haven't read the most recent ones.

I've only read the first book and then got sidetracked although I did like it a lot. I had heard about a series for these books years ago and thought maybe it would never happen. I'm glad it's going to be on HBO and not some dinky sci-fi channel show (//ducks the flying dishes).

I don't like the guy they got for Drogo, I mean at least not the picture. He kind of looks like he should have been on Xena Warrior Princess instead.

I don't like the guy they got for Drogo, I mean at least not the picture. He kind of looks like he should have been on Xena Warrior Princess instead.

I imagined Drogo as looking more asian with all the Hun/Mongol analogies.

This thing is in fact looking pretty damn good from the previews I've seen. Some quite frankly awesome casting and the production values don't look too cheap either.

Now if only the fat man would write faster...

This thing is in fact looking pretty damn good from the previews I've seen. Some quite frankly awesome casting and the production values don't look too cheap either.

Now if only the fat man would write faster...
The next book is to be published in July. (Yeah, I know, there've been dates before, but I really believe them this time).

At this rate I'll believe it... I would say when I have a physical copy in my hands, but actually I think not until I've actually finished reading it, just in case it ends with "ha ha fooled you, sincerely GRRM".

Anyway, he still has, what, two more books to go until the story is done, supposedly. Rate better pick up, guy is not particularly young or healthy-looking.

(And yeah, I've been following the books since #1 was released. Fifteen years ago. FIFTEEN YEARS. There are awkward teenagers stumbling around scratching themselves in public, whose parents had not yet had sex when I read the first book.)

I'll say this. Martin writes a lot, but he doesn't overwrite like Jordan. That guy needed an editor with a willingness to pare things down.

Top Bottom