1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Hegemon

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Rambuchan, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geminisama

geminisama Resident Batman

I don't mind at all, I just wasn't sure if it was a "bug", due to normally being disabled.

Edit: Getting later in the game, I have to agree the map may just be too big. The whole north region of the map may be unneeded.

Edit 2: I think there is something wrong with era 2 Spartan city graphics. Coloring is very odd, and there are giant blue blobs scatted about. Pic is in the spoiler.

Spoiler :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

The good news is: I have managed to come up with some tricks and running a test of them has seen nice fast loading times. When I get time I can explain more.

Wow, thanks for the heads up on those city graphics. I'm surprised to see that. But I know what's happened. My previous problem with hidden files and folders seems to have caused a Greek city graphics pcx that I DLed (someone else's choices) to slip through the net. I made changes to that file, saved them and they showed up fine on my PC (as seen in the screenies I posted). But for some reason that DLed version with the blue cities still got through in the upload.

Edit: It happened again just now. I found the correct city art pcx, checked it was the right art and attached it to this post for you to use. Yet when I opened the file attached to the post to double check, it was back showing as the same old DLed blue ones that you seem to have. I open exactly the same file here on gimp right now and it's not the blue ones. Same pcx file, same destination, same file path. Different result. Very odd. My apologies for that. I guess I'll create completely new ones when I get time. There's obvously something funny up with those particular files that I don't know about. (FYI - Those blue blobs are someone's Cycladic Greek style city graphics.)

Looks like you've managed to kick some Peloponnesian butt there buddy. :goodjob:

3. geminisama

Quite an odd problem! Looking forward to a fixed file for them. :)

And yeah, been waging continuous war since near the beginning! I have a stack of about 50 units right outside Athens, and the only reason the purple nation west of us remains sovereign, is due to their asskissing. :lol:

4. Rambuchan

Go ahead and drop these attached Kyriakos city graphics in instead, overwriting the existing ones (in Art/Cities).

I'll include these in the update anyway. Just appraising what suitable options are out there for the various groups. If you know of any others you think appropriate, do please point me towards them.

Regarding that problem, yes, it's very odd. I've never encountered it before and haven't yet solved it fully. Another thing to mention about it is: When I copy the correct city art files and pasted them into where they need to go -replacing and overwriting- it goes ahead and does it. But when you open up those newly pasted and replaced files, they are back to the old ones that were there before. It's as if the paste and replace never happened. So I'd be interested to see if the same happens for you. If so, we're a step closer to identifying the problem, which will then likely be something like a corrupted file thing.

Attached Files:

5. geminisama

Just replaced the city files, and they're appearing fine in-game.
    I assume these city graphics are place holders? While they look FANTASTIC, it seems they represent all eras, and not just one.

6. RHKINC

RHKINC Chieftain

:) Good work!

7. Rambuchan

Great! I'm glad to the max.

They are, erm, permanent placeholders. I'll almost certainly use those attached graphics in the upgrade too, together with other new ones. I just wasn't aware of their existence when I first chose the city graphics. All city graphics and leaderheads use the same art throughout all the eras. There isn't enough historical change during the period, nor an adequate selection of artwork, to warrant doing otherwise. This also helps keep the size of the DL down, especially in the case of leaderheads.

RHKINC: :D

There are some interesting and very positive changes being made in preparation for an upgrade. Much faster loading times and further strategic dynamics will appear. Any and all suggestions, criticisms and comments are welcome and solicited. I will receive these and include them all in the upgrade in one hit.

8. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

9. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

Absolutely fantastic!!

10. Rambuchan

Dude! Brother Man! Daddio! Chef! Great to see you buddy! I'm a bit busy this week but I'm sure I'll find time to drop you a PM to catch up.

Yes! Old friend! Wow, it's great to see you too. Long time eh? I'll drop you a catch up PM too.

Hope you have fun with this one by the way. Definitely up for any feedback to polish it further.

11. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

YEEEEEEESSSS!!!!

Now to download.

12. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

Oh my. A new scenario based around a favourite period of time, in a favourite area of the world, and by a favourite scenario designer. Very nice. I shall need to find some more hours in the day.

DL now. :goodjob:

Edit - A minor suggestion. biq files are pretty small. Could you not just attach it to your first post rather than hosting on Atomic Gamer? It would avoid a 5 minute wait which would be useful for any updates.

13. Rambuchan

Takhisis: Enjoy! :goodjob: And do please post back with game reports and feedback. I'm keen to get a more polished and detailed update out soon, while I have the momentum. I loathe unfinished projects.

Hope you enjoy too :) And thank you for the kind words.

Congratulations on getting Alexander out. Looks like a bobbydazzler and a real labour of love. I have only recently returned to playing civ and also this forum, so missed it until just recently. I will play it and no doubt enjoy my socks off. But I don't have nearly as much time for civ as I used to. So I am very much focussed on getting the update for Hegemon out the way first. Then I shall indulge in your masterpiece. I hope you will find time to have a good throw of the dice with Hegemon and share your thoughts for improvement.

14. Rambuchan

Good idea. I saw someone else do it and thought that was the protocol these days. When I was modding a few years back CFC hosted the files.

Anyway, you know what's an even better idea?

Me attaching the biq that I'm working with right now to the OP. The first one was sadly plagued by sluggish loading times. So do grab the attached one and play with it instead.

There has also been a very odd problem, which geminisama kindly spotted and which required me sharing new city graphics files. The new files are in the zip attached to the OP and the problem is explained in this post.

----

UPDATED BIQ NOW ATTACHED TO THE OP

15. Rambuchan

There is a changes log and notes for further changes in the zip in the OP. But I shall post them here so people can see more easily, comment and add more for discussion.

CHANGES LOG AND OTHER NOTES FOR UPDATING:

Spoiler :
    V1.1
    Swamp all over the north, some in Asia Minor, impassable.
    Forests not settlable. Longer to chop them - from 6 up to 10 turns.
    Added some more geographical text on map: Thermaic Gulf and Ikarian Sea. (NB. changed backend game resource - resources.pcx)

v1.12
    Sheep now a bonus, not luxury. (Get number of traded resources down for faster ibts and too much happiness for poverty stricken Greeks anyway!)
    Gold now a bonus, not strategic and disabled Goldworks improvement. (Get traded resources number down. May well use this slot for diplomatic victory building)
    Silver gives 1 commerce, now a strategic required alongside timber to build Athenian Imperial Trireme.
    Increased the number of each of the hegemonic strategics to make Hegemonic Victory a bit easier (AI more likely to trade them so you don't have to conquer all the spots).
    Now there are:
    2 x Delian League, 3 x Delos Tribute, 3 x Hellespont Tax, 3 x Samos Levy,
    2 x Boeotian League, 3 x Aetolian Ally, 3 x Euboian Levy, 3 x Thessalian Ally,
    2 x Peloponnesian League, 3 x Lacaedamon Subjects, 3 x Argive Ally, 3 x Ambrakia Levy,
    2 x Might of Macedon, 3 x Thrakian Dependency, 3 Illyrian Dependency, 3 x Thrakian Subjects
    Altered icons for hegemonic resources to make identification and categorisation easier (NB. changed backend game resource - resources.pcx)
    Comms Trading delayed to Unity tech (avoid/delay time consuming and irrelevant popups)
    Ports (from Seafaring) now allow water trade, not harbours from Sailing. (thereby delaying and reducing early trade routes)
    Cost of settlers raised to 50 from 30, incl. Thrakian Settler. (Get number of cities down for faster loading)
    Colonist now costs 80, not 40. (Get number of cities down for faster loading)
    Granary cost up to 8, from 6. (Get growth and therefore number of cities down for faster loading)
    Aqueduct up to 16, from 14. (Get growth and therefore number of cities down for faster loading)
    Constitution of Cleisthenes - now also increases chance of leader appearing.
    Argaed Dynasty - barracks in every city, instead of palisades. Now requires a barracks in it first (not palisades).

---------------------------------------------
    CHANGES YET TO BE DISCUSSED AND/OR MADE:

Philosophy pedia says free tech -take this off
    change helot to doulos
    Fix the bizarre problem with the game not reading the right city graphics files. Use Kyriakos' more recent ancient cities.
    Rename Immobile to Ancestor, allowing for more informative pedia entry on Greek genealogy and gods.
    Chalkis as captial for both Euboia and Chalkidike?
    Check and change AI build often and build never settings. AI probably overloaded atm, though this isn't apparent from their behaviour.
    Using Palace for international trade. Consequences of this and mitigating techniques.
    >
    Up the cost of Classical & Hegemonic Era units for Trace
    Oath (not Declaration) of Fealty
    Chersonesos with Anatolian Archer?
    Borders
    Advisors
    Pop Heads
    Tone down Phokis, maybe turning wine to perfume or goat or less food
    Perfume icon for in city trade, currently showing as opium
    Tone down research for Thrace

---------------------------------------------

16. geminisama

Thanks for the update. Is it compatible with my current save?

17. Rambuchan

Sorry but it isn't. Would be nice if these things could be!

18. geminisama

Isn't that the truth! :lol:

19. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

I can beta-test after exams are over. Mind you, as the EFZI Complete creators can attest, I'm somewhat of a maniac once I start beta-testing. I overdo it. But I do enjoy it ;).

20. Rambuchan

That would be great!

Just imagine:

Damn, that war with Athens didn't go quite to plan.

*opens up biq*

Right, I'll add some nukes, some bombers, some aircraft carriers and, hey, why not some mech inf too? All only available to Sparta.

*save, reload, kick butt*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.