Help me choose a smartphone!

There's pretty much no information available about the effectiveness of putting phones in rice.

Effectiveness of bumpers depends on the specific phone and the specific bumper. Pre-iphone5 iphones are incredibly fragile, polycarbonate bodies like the higher end Lumia phones and cheap plastic feature phones tend to be the most resistant to damage. Thin bumpers don't provide much protection. Thick cases provide more protection.

Is it true that putting a phone in rice for a week will dry it out if it gets wet? Also, how effective is a bumper for protecting a smartphone?

Yes, rice works. But so do other hydrophilic materials. It's a common remedy because most everyone has some rice kicking around. Except the North Koreans...

Bad and sad joke :sad:

But those silicone packs that come inside shoes? Those works great. Leaving the phone in a gas oven that relies on a pilot light works too. Don't turn it on, though! Speaking of which, the phone should be off and the battery removed for all of these procedures.

NEVER PUT ANY BATTERY IN ANY SORT OF OVEN

Or just leave the phone in a sunny window with a gentle breeze passing over it.

The key to all these techniques is you're imprint the rate of evaporation while not further contaminating the electronics. There's nothing particularly special beyond that.

Good choice Lenovo K900
Weight:5.71 oz (162 g)
System chip: Intel Atom Z2580
Processor: Dual core, 2000 MHz, Saltwell
Camera:13 megapixels
Flash:Dual LED
Features:Auto focus, Geo tagging
Camcorder:1920x1080 (1080p HD)
Features:Video calling
Scheduled release:
April 2013 (Official)
new mobile

Good choice Lenovo K900
Weight:5.71 oz (162 g)
System chip: Intel Atom Z2580
Processor: Dual core, 2000 MHz, Saltwell
Camera:13 megapixels
Flash:Dual LED
Features:Auto focus, Geo tagging
Camcorder:1920x1080 (1080p HD)
Features:Video calling
Scheduled release:
April 2013 (Official)
new mobile

Google says it will cost $900 unlocked. My budget is $300 max, preferably $200 with no contract. I may just get an iPhone 4 because even though some nice phones are cheaper, I like the way it looks.

Nokia “EOS” PureView or nokia lumia 950
Windows Phone 8 Lumia device to come with the 41MP PureView technology,

Dual/Quad Core
41Mp, OIS, LED, Xenon
+/- Variable Aperture
FM Transmitter,
Amoled 1280 x 768 screen
2000 Mah battery
detailed camera interface
initial launch on At&t

Top Bottom