Help me play Deity

Me too :)

Man, I'm so mad. Fraps didn't took screenshots AGAIN. Took so many showing how to use terrain and stuff. Hmpf sucks.

Anyway - 1200 BC. Ofc has spoilers if you haven't played so far.

Spoiler :

what happened:

Spoiler :

Went exactly the route I wrote you.
Masonry>Sailing>Archery>Trapping>IW.
Capital Scout> Monument> Worker> buy 2 Fishing Boats> Fish boat> Warrior> Settler> Buy settler> Colossus> Great Lighthouse
Second city Warrior>buy Archer>Archer>Archer
Third city Monument>buy Spearman>Granary

I signed an early DoF with the Iroquois and we declared on Alex together. I lost one archer to his CC. Signed RA with Egypt and researching Philo now to get one with the other 2 guys.

I didn't get much luck this time :(

I settled my 2nd city here.

Spoiler :

I barely put my 3rd city around turn 30 when...

Spoiler :

He throwed 4 warriors, 1 archer, 1 CC and 1 hoplite :eek: Well i tried hard to resist until iron working. I couldn't resist enough to keep it.

Spoiler :

I upgraded some swords and got that city again but not without losing my 3rd city against another horde of fresh units coming from Sparta. Alex is pretty annoying now...

I decided to advance near Sparta and counter attack.

Spoiler :

I made it, but not without pain.

Spoiler :

But Alex keep throwing units and i can't keep his production pace. He has retaken Sparta and i have just lost the game :)

Spoiler :

Thoughts :

Spoiler :
A (double) 6 iron tile in capital is very strong. You can sell spare ones and make a big army very soon in the game. The big problem come from Alex. He needs to not declare war before turn 35 to let warriors alive and be able to upgrade everyone before turn 45. If this situation happens, Alex can't survive. But i got bad luck and couldn'T prepare myself a strong enough army to advance to his capital. I should build 1 less city on this map and annex Alex's cities instead.

I'm gonna try another game later with a better approach(and hoping to dodge a pre 40 turns DoW from Alex).

Nice game Realyn keep it up!

I started off fairly well. Settled 1E, second city south by the horses, third city north by the furs, fourth city far south by the iron and ivory. Had 24 iron with the UA, which was pretty ridiculous. Alex declared fairly early, as expected. I'd DoFed Hiawatha, and I got him to join in, then sniped Sparta from him. Alex paid me a chunk of gold and 40 gpt for peace. I converted all Sparta's river tiles to trading posts, and it was looking pretty sweet, except that I made the same mistake I usually make, and neglected my military. Alex declared again, and took Sparta back, and then Hiawatha took it before I could bring units up. It was stupid, because with all my gold, I could easily have bought a few pikes, which would have been enough to defend it.

HS went on turn eighty-something, and PT and ND both before turn 100. With only 3 RA partners and no PT, I'm going to struggle to keep my tech up.

Kept playing abit and died at ~1600. I'll post a bunch screens backtoback:

Spoiler :

Darius was obv incredible ahead in tech. Finishing the Manhatten and Apollo ages ago. Still think I had a chance at winning, since Moscow and Sparta had everything possible built and I was able to pump out lvl 3 units in 3 turns in Moscow and lvl 2 units in ~4-5 turns in every other city. Yeah but well, no chance against 2 civs at the same time.

edit:I did RA's with all three other civs from the start. But did not get the PT sadly. Also Alex never gave me gold for peace :(.

Tough map. Confirmation to my initial statement: less civs = harder game.
I think last time I've lost such ridiculous amount of units in such short period of time was back in Civ4 days. :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

Settled on hill. Scout -> Monument -> Warrior -> Settler - > Krepost and then a bunch of warriors.
Research-wise: Mining -> Masonry -> BW -> IW - was lucky and got AH from ruin -> Trapping -> Sailing -> beeline Philosophy -> beeline Steel.
Second city SE from second marble, third E-SE from furs. Didn't want to consume the deer in order to settle on coast.
Spoiler :

Sold Alex 5gpt to rush buy a worker and first marble as soon as it was hooked up. Also sold 5 iron to Persia and another one to Hiawatha. We also signed a DoF but he was fighting Egypt and didn't want to go after Greece. Not for long.
On turn 58 Alex attacked Sydney which was allied with Iroquois and took it in few turns. He usually doesn't do that. A little weird.
On turn 63 he finally DoWed me and started to throw tons of hoplites and cc's. And seriously, tons. I had 6 swords by then, archer and spearman still it was tough. I think I lost 2 swords just defending. Been forced to rush buy reinforcements several times. Once misclicked and bough a scout instead of a warrior. Kind of things I 'like' to do. :cry:
It didn't take long till Hiawatha became pissed enough to help me out.
There was no chance at swords rush and b/c I didn't find cultural CS Steel beeline took forever. Even with krepost and temple with artist in it. Bulbed Steel close to turn 100. Liberated Sydney. With Hiawatha's suicidal units mainly act as distraction took Sparta which was pretty crappy just as the whole surrounding area.
Got good peace deal.
Could have waited 10 turns to take Athens. Hiawatha already took Corinth. However all wonders were gone ridiculously early. Science-wise I'd lag way behind and as Thresian has pointed out with only 4 RA partners the future looked grim. Don't think the game was winnable.
Spoiler :

So back to OP: do you still insist to do things interesting? ;)
Seriously, I'd recommend to go with standard settings for now if you want to start winning.

Nice try Pilgrim. Going to try again soon. Less civs don't always mean harder game. But here, with a subpar land and Alex as your neighbor make things really tedious.

It's not as much Alex as the other three. He sabotaged himself investing everything he had in the military. Unfortunately so did I. Taking him out was possible but catching up to wonder whoring Darius and Ramesses and city spamming Hiawatha with GW - not a chance. Despite the fact they were fighting each other all the time. It only proves how broken RA's are. We rely on them too much. Limited number of trade partners and lack of CS's didn't help also. I can easily see how quick domination is viable on similar map with strong medieval UU and cultural CS close by but there are too many constraints and 'if's.
Don't think I'm gonna try it again. I have another ambitious project to complete :D and my civ related thoughts are mainly there.
Good luck though! :) This one is tough. I'll keep following.

Got a better start this time. Settled in place again. I went monument-scout-warrior until 3 :c5citizen:. Built 2 more cities then produced a bunch of warriors and a few archers and monuments for 2nd or 3rd build. Alex DoWed me again around turn 30 while i had still only 2 warriors but this time i received less units. I captured Sparta and around the same time Hiawatha DoWed Alex. A bit later, i decided to make a final push for Athens, the only Greece city left. He gave his southest city to Hiawatha for peace.

Spoiler :

And yes, i survived...with 10 swordmen left. Now it's time to get Steel from Liberty in 7 turns thanks to a cultural cs ally. Then it will be Machinery.

Spoiler :

Wow! you guys went nuts on this game. Massive respects :crazy eye:
You lost me a bit but still I was able to learn something. I can only afford to play a bit on weeknights after work so that's why the slow progress.

It would be good if you kept following my own game and let me know when I commit big mistakes. In most Deity games I do well until Riflemen but then I collapse and it's over. I hope to find out what I am doing wrong and I suspect it has something to do with early decisions.

It looks alike both of you went for domination victory though...
Considering the tough starting point, would be possible to make it a cultural game instead and concentrate on defence? I am at turn 42 and just have built the Colossus. With 12 iron and good potential cash flow from pearls I would hope to built decent defensive force.

With all the desert south and east of Moscow giving -10 combat for invading units it would make it just that little bit easier to defend it.

Do You think cultular victory might be possible or is a total waste of time on this map?

Anyway turn 45:

So I bult the Colossus but I has to reload and purchase the northern most tile for that little bit extra :c5production: or else I was beaten to it by 3 turns.
So that is why I am still with 2 Warriors only.

So I caught myself making a mistake: Did not do everything possible to secure Colossus. Purchasing that hex has fixed the problem.

Alex is NEUTRAL so far but 'covets my lands'.

:undecide:I am now required to choose 3rd SP.
I would like to know what would you choose and why. I would love to coincide Representation with all pearls worked to maximise cash so I am torn between free settler and honour.
Honor would get me extra :c5culture: from barbs which in turn would speed up getting 4th SP.
If I pick Settler I don't think I will settle south of Moscow to avoid provoking Alex even more before I get my swords online.

:undecide: Will research Sailing
By the time I finish Sailing I should have enough $ to buy a workboat and a Pearls hex.

Well, for me it was more like 'let's survive Alex first and then will see' type of victory, to be honest. But all russian unique features scream war so it's a waste not to use them.
When I hear Russia and cultural victory in the same sentence it just doesn't sound right. :D IDK. Realyn managed to pull off the craziest cultural victory I've seen, so I guess at least theoretically everything is possible. However on this specific map I seriously doubt it. Limited number of research agreements will cause Iroquois, Persia and Egypt to have and overwhelming tech lead over you and thus they'll beat you to all late key wonders. And will launch spaceship before you'll be able to unlock Utopia. Building a large empire and pushing science trough population only will be hard too. The dirt is poor at luxes and there are very few CS to support happiness and culture. AI will steal these few from you anyway. Although I'm shooting in the dark here as I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to culture. Tabarnak and Realyn who actually play for culture can tell more on the subject.

Back to your game. First of all and don't take this wrong, I'm just trying to help, but reloading is a pure evil. Not from ethical point of view. It prevents from you learning of valuable lessons from mistakes you make. You've done a mistake - suck it up. Next time you'll not repeat it. If you can 'undo' it you learn nothing or relatively little. When you know in your head there is no way to unmake bad decision you'd simply make fewer of them since you'd invest more thought in everything you do and would play more carefully overall. Saying 'no' to reloading makes you a better player. Period.
That being said, if you want to try a different approach on the same map at least reload the initial save and give AI a chance to adjust its play as well.

Looking at you screenshots I see you have only 1 city at turn 42. Even if you play for culture with 2-3 cities you need to get those settlers out asap. In this situation with only one resource tile to improve I'd definitely take Liberty settler first and then a worker. First worker you can rush buy by selling gpt for lump sum. You don't get good price for it but it worth it. When there are more CS on the map you can steal a worker from one of them and then make peace on the same turn. And forget about Honor. Liberty all the way. If you want to take a shot at culture take free settler and switch to Tradition tree next and Piety the moment you hit medieval era.

Alex's neutrality means nothing. He was friendly towards me and became friendly again after we signed a peace treaty. However he's the most deceiving and untrustworthy neighbor you can think of so there no question whether he is going to attack you or not. The only question is when. I agree that settling south is risky. I didn't do it and got a DoW only after turn 60. Tabarnak did and got DoWed around turn 30. With Archery and few warriors you probably can repel an early DoW. Depends on luck though. If he fights Hiawatha in the same time you'll be fine. If he doesn't he might flood you with units and while hoplites are somewhat manageable the companion cavalries (hate them!) need spears/swords to be dealt with. Anyway things get complicated. But that's how you like them, right? :lol:

Sailing next is reasonable. Hook up pearls and sell them. Another thing - you probably don't need 12 iron yet. You can sell some for now.

Why hasn't Darius won yet? I had 16 stealth bombers - would I make it? Answer: no. I lost on turn 278 (having killed a huge number of mech inf), when a GDR wandered into Moscow. It was fun game though. It's the first time I've ever got to stealth and still lost.

Attachments

• civ5screen0004.jpg
    civ5screen0004.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 293
OP: I think you should be scouting more - you haven't revealed much of the map for turn 42. Also, I would have taken collective rule before citizenship. That worker doesn't have much to do, as you've not teched masonry yet. In any case, you could sell your gpt and buy a worker, and on a tiny map, you really need to grab land reasonably fast. I'd have taken masonry before pottery to get the marble.

The crusade can continue...

Spoiler :

After workshops, my 3 cities are exclusively building units. Some turns later :

Spoiler :

Great news i'm leading in military. I lost 2 longswordmen and 2 archers but they are immediately replaced. I added 3 catapults.

Spoiler :

Had to reseach calendar before machinery because i got my 1st calendar luxury from Hiawatha :) He lost a lot of units and will soon receive even more pain. Now teching to physics for more upgrades.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

@Tabarnak & Thresian
Thank you for constructive feedback!
I totally agree about not reloading but simply living with consequences of ones actions. Also I never rage quit either but rather 'surrender' ;)
I made an exception this time because Im treating this game as study of my decision making.

I also agree that by now I should have a second city and have explored lot more of the map. I am not happy that my worker has nothing useful to do.
To get the Colossus in time, I had to get the worker but now it is wasting valuable time :(.
I now have the Colossus but none of the Pearls are even within my borders to take advantage of.
I also to forgot to sell stuff...:mad:

Would you agree that going for the Colossus was simply a bad idea?

@Tabarnak
I am very impressed with the strength of your military!
What is your 'secret'? What are the main decisions you believe you have made to make this possible?

@ Realyn
In your last gameplay you posted I noticed you built lots of world wonders. There is no way I would be able to that.
What is your underlining strategy to get so many wonders?

Top Bottom