1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help on Sid Game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Own, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Own

Own Grasshoppah

You lost, right :) ? The reason is that I have to count turns to keep up with election dates (I still don't know exact turns inbetween elections) and I'm too lazy to do that.

2. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

11 turns...

3. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Allright, but that doesn't stop laziness. And I certanly won't finish before I leave, so I might as well wait til then. Imagine how long you had to wait for Theodora's Sid Always War Excellent Adventure when Handy got lazy on posting. I'm sure this hasn't been 1/10 as fun to read, I'm sorry, but you'll have to wait.

4. Drakan

Drakan Voluntas Omnia Vincit

Your rep doesn't get trashed for trading TECHS should they die in those twenty turns. Read my article carefully.

However your rep does get shot if you are trading RESOURCES and they die in those twenty turns.

Her'e a link to Microbe's great article on Trade Reputation, it'll confirm you my claim:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=113376

5. Drakan

Lemme guess ... It has something to do with a -- elevator, yup ? :D

6. Drakan

Hang on, I also think Dave McW refered to razing jokingly.

But there is a sure way to stop a flip. That's turning all citizens to clowns and starving them to death, turn after turn, sure does takes a whole deal of mm'ng each turn. The city just cannot flip, it's "impossible", and you can garrison it with only one unit, cuts down the risk flip of loosing a huge SoD garrisoned within the city.

7. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

You only need to hold the UN city for one turn, and cities can't flip the first turn. So you don't have to worry about that. But you can lose that city in one turn if they attack it. So you rather worry about defence instead of flip.

8. Drakan

This weekend I started my first sid game: huge archipiélago, 15 random civs.

I had this wild strategy pop into my head. Being all alone in my very small island of 14 cities I was wondering if one can take advantage of the 60% building rate of the AI in Sid and the cultural flips. I gifted one of my cities and less than ten turns later it wanted to flip back.

So, from a builder standpoint, I was wondering if it were possible to gift core cities nearby your palace to more advanced civs and let them do the all the job. They could build city improvements much faster than myself, perhaps even some which I lacked the knowledge of, yet. After say 20 or 30 turns the city would have tried to flip back twice ot thrice being so close to my palace. So say after 30 or 40 turns I welcome them to rejoin my empire. Only that this time they've built plenty of improvements in the city.

The downside to this strat is that I've noticed that even as late as 1000 A.D. many civs are still in the Ancient Ages because they have massive armies of hundreds of AAs units and the upkeep just hammers them down and doesn't allow them to do any research or build anything else.

So I would have to gift the cities to an AI which was more advanced and less prone to build military units and very far away. Perhaps one could gift away many of your core cities in a revolving manner with RoP signed. Could this extravaganza work out ? :crazyeye:

9. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

Try it!

But I don't think it will work. Because:
    1.) Your city won't produce any money for you, slowing your research
    2.) Sid AI have a lot of culture, so it's even possible that it won't flip. The city is probably massively garrisoned too.
    3.) They may even use it as foothold in an invasion, while they can't do any harm by sea.
    4.) Yeah, the most important, culture buildings are destroyed when a city flips. So you'll only get Markets, Granaries and Barracks.

You're playing Sid and still have civs that behind? Wow. Maybe you should try a rapid builder-style war against one of them. Or just keep selling them techs.

10. Drakan

I surrounded the city with my units, both by land and sea. Damn, I had no idea that when they flipped back all those improvements would get destroyed. Oh well it was only a crazy idea. Thanks, Pentium. :)

Yeop, three or four of the AIs were REALLY backwards, didn't even have polytheism or currency in 1000 A.D. It's my first Sid game so I had no idea this could happen, it's almost like chieftain AIs, nothing of the likes of Deity. It sure plays against Sid AIs being able to build so quickly massive armies of AA units.

These are my conclusions from that ongoing game:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=122949

11. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Right back from Civ1 there was always an issue whereby if a civ falls far enough behind it will stick on 0% science and simply try to defend itself, this still seems to happen in civ3.

12. Own

Own Grasshoppah

:bump: of the year. If anyone is still interested, I started playing again, the Dutch got aggressive and killed me. Too bad, but I had no chance anyway. They could've probably gotten 100k in 30 turns.

13. Heroes

Heroes Heroes of Might and Magic

A thought before your current situation. When your GL was not obsolete, you could have partial tech lead. At that time, how about making a war against the most advanced AI or your neighbor, and using ur techs to ally everyone else? That way you cut the trade between them, slow down the tech pace a lot, and give you more time to accumulate gold and troops. I think it's much better than sitting peacefully with your GL working.

14. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

OK, I've started a new one these days. Very different from yours, the classic 60% archipelago with Byzantines. Now I have a tech lead in early MA, all because of the free tech (Feud :D). God I love scientific trait!

I'm sorry you didn't win. But there's always another chance!

15. Own

Own Grasshoppah

What mapsize are you playing, and good luck with it.

It's ok. The chances of winning were from zero to negative 1. CAII told me the dudes were about 25 turns from a cultural victory, there's no way I could have won that.

16. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

From the stories forums, I can see you're playing Archipelago without Seafaring civ. It's a :nono:.

17. Own

Own Grasshoppah

60% archipelago is still easy to find other islands, as there aren't many sea squares inbetween. On sid, early trading is near impossible, so seafaring would give early contacts, then it's useless. I'd much rather have 25% more OCN, as sid corruption is brutal.

18. Offa

Offa Bretwalda

On what evidence do you believe this to stop flips?

19. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

It reduces the chances by removing foreign citizens.

20. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

If anyone from this thread still comes around and knows the referenced "exploit" I'd very much appreciate it if you sent it to me via PM. Thanks in advance.