Help with Civ 4 Warlord

FengYun

Chieftain
Hi all!

I've been playing Civ 4 Warlord for a week or so now and having a blast. Initially, I played on Chieftain difficulty which was very easy. So I decided to move up to Warlord and as expected, it was significantly harder.

Problems I have run into include:

- Outexpanded by AI
- Outresearched by AI
- Outwarred by some AI

I think I have some of the basics of the game under control, but feel like I'm missing somethings.

I like to play marathon games on Huge maps and don't mind micromanagement. My preferred winning style is by having a strong economy and military, gradually vassaling all other civs.

Can someone help with letting me know how to post my recent save and giving me a and on some pointers on what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

a) Welcome to CFC!

B) Get BTS! ;)

c) This forum below beckons you (it's where you should really ask these types of questions):

Strategy & Tips

d) If you really want to improve and move up levels I recommend normal settings...play the way the game is meant to be played (it blows my mind how many newbs want to play with maxed out settings...bigger is not always better)

e) Click "Go Advanced" button>Click "Manage Attachments" or paper clip icon to upload saves.

f) More help forthcoming once you post a save over on S&T

a) Welcome to CFC!

B) Get BTS! ;)

c) This forum below beckons you (it's where you should really ask these types of questions):

Strategy & Tips

d) If you really want to improve and move up levels I recommend normal settings...play the way the game is meant to be played (it blows my mind how many newbs want to play with maxed out settings...bigger is not always better)

e) Click "Go Advanced" button>Click "Manage Attachments" or paper clip icon to upload saves.

f) More help forthcoming once you post a save over on S&T

Ok, sounds like a plan. Thanks very much ;)

Hey, I started out playing the game with Marathon and Huge too, and I'm only slightly screwed up! :p

And yeah, take a tour of the Strategy & Tips section and they will get you playing on Noble+ in no time! :D

Warlord is good for learning the Basic mechanics of the Game.

A few points to remember on Warlord Level:

1 The AIs are generally not aggressive so you can get away with bad Diplomacy, over expansion and general risk taking at Warlord level that will kill you at the next level, Noble. I have direct experience with that.
2 To win Warlord I found the best strategy was to expand quickly, keep a decent sized military, and watch your slider.
3 Some basic mechanics,
- build roads to all cities
- keep a tech advantage, this is more important than a large military advantage
- decide sometime in the Middle Ages what Victory you will seek. Trying to achieve Domination only to find that you let your tech suffer in favor of a large army not quite large enough to conquer the world is disappointing.
4 Pay attention to strategic resources such as gold, copper/iron and food plots
5 Early rushing of a weak neighbor is fun and profitable. Make clear and achievable Goals, even if they are small, such as stealing a worker or two.
6 Try to specialize your cities. Pay particular attention to your Capital as it will typically be your wealthiest and largest city. You can get away with generalized cities in Warlord but not at levels above.
7 Diplomacy is not as important on Warlord as in harder levels but it can help.
- keep at least one AI at Friendly if you can. This helps with distracting enemies in various ways.
8 Learn Combined Arms attacks. A few Riflemen backed up by force multipliers like Trebuchets, Airships or warships are so much more effective than a pure infantry force.

In summary for Warlord level, take early advantage of open land and resources, out tech the AIs and decide which Victory mode you want to achieve based on your Leader Traits, your personality and map dictates. Most of all HAVE FUN!

Anyone else waiting for the Diety expansion then? ;)

I'm a bit disappointed with the Diety expansion. As long as I take Caesar for the salad, and tech towards yogurt, I always win...:(

Top Bottom