Help with early research rate on IMM

When you've just moved Worker to forest you see:

I used to remember it as 3 but later was confused with 4
Moving to the forest is one turn, chopping itself is 3, thus making the cost of chopping 4 worker turns.

That changes everything!

I believed in Hammers. I desperately wanted them. But I don't need them!
Well, you can get them via whip.
Those forum posts about collecting overflows into Wonders just added confusion to my weak understanding.
Yes, "overflow" is mentioned very often on this forum for some reason. Whipping is not good because of overflow, whipping is good because it transforms :food: to :hammers: at a good rate with a granary. However, as already pointed out, if :)-cap doesn't allow, don't whip. If you don't whip, don't build a granary.

The only problem with Library in non-capital is that happiness limit is 4, far from 3-whip ((
Well, despite you get unhappy at size 5, double food allows you to grow quickly even with one unhappy citizen. Another possibility is putting a chop into the library and 2-pop whipping. If you are planning to run scientists, it's likely that you should skip the granary, too, as you won't be growing anyway.

Played quickly to T50
Spoiler :
Hunting-mining-BW-pottery-(writing). Grew to size 3, started settler. Settled 2nd T36 (chopped under it to settle 1T quicker, but maybe a mistake and should have insta-chopped axe). Didn't know at all what to expect from imm raging barbs.

Civ4ScreenShot0110.JPG

T50 3rd settler on the way and producing 3rd worker. Barbs giving trouble as I didn't keep the axe on the hill in the west... Economy is +15:science: -4:gold: before settling 3rd. Haven't even started on the cottages yet, but their time is soon. As you can see, every city is insta-connected when founded due to river. You need zero roads for a long time on this map. Improve food, chop.

Civ4ScreenShot0111.JPG

I'm not sure why you are giving yourself extra trouble with these settings. Flat world wrap makes cities more expensive. Raging barbs adds randomness and makes learning harder.

Thanks all for your effort to point for weaknesses!

Flat world wrap makes cities more expensive.
If forgot about this. If both X & Y wrap cost is increased two times. With only one coordinate it is near 50% more expensive (exact value depends on X/Y ratio).

T50 3rd settler on the way and producing 3rd worker.
3rd Worker is unusual pattern in my gameplay. Looking to your screenshot provided I see the reason (one is chopping for the capitol, and 2 other cities need at least one to provide improvements while cities grow). I should pay more attention to this.

Of course you can also steal workers, but you don't need to. I think you could benefit a lot from learning how to set up a solid 4 city empire and then expanding via construction war.

I took advice in my 3rd attempt, I haven't build army yet but 12T off the Steel.

I failed Wonders for 2000 Gold (rotating Wonders between cities), won Liberalism & Economy (with Trade Mission of 900G - I don't know how to maximize it), ran one Golden Age and just got another with Taj Mahal.

upload_2019-11-24_21-17-26.png

upload_2019-11-24_21-19-54.png

upload_2019-11-24_21-16-51.png

upload_2019-11-24_21-20-54.png

upload_2019-11-24_21-15-0.png

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1240.CivBeyondSwordSave
    234.6 KB · Views: 94
Cuirs? Why steel? 1mp units are a pain. Steel takes too long.

The money that trade missions give, IIRC, is based on the value of a theoretical trade route from the city you conduct the trade mission in to your capitol. Anything that increases the value of a city's trade routes (high pop, Temple of Artemis, Harbor, being on another continent, etc.) will boost the money you get from a Great Merchant trade mission. In my (admittedly limited) experience, however, it's not a very large difference either way. Sending your GM to the nearest, biggest capitol/coastal city with a Harbor will generally yield enough money to make sending him to the other side of the world for the Temple of Artemis not worth it.

There's a way to check how much money you can get from a trade mission without committing the GM's turn, though. If I remember right hold Shift, click on the "Go To" command and left-click on the city you want to inspect. The game will cue the move order and wait for you to cue another command, which includes the option to conduct a trade mission in that city. Keep holding shift the entire time, and simply hover the mouse over the trade mission button to see how much it's worth. If you don't want to commit the cued move order hit the cancel button to cancel it, then let go of shift. Otherwise, let go of shift before hitting cancel, and the GM will proceed with the move order.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going steel. Cannons are incredibly powerful if you get them fast enough. And even if you don't, they still serve you well for a looong time.
I agree that if you want to attack Gandhi or some culture spammer, it's really painfull to swim through like 7 turns of culture, but in practice, 1m units have access to roads alot of the time in between wars and reaching vunerable boarder cities is doable not on T0, but often T1 of the war.

Cuirs? Why steel? 1mp units are a pain. Steel takes too long.
Probably you revealed another my problem. I forgot about rivals and haven't explored territory. I don't have Horses and probably need to trade for them... I've never bought resources, just sell surplus if price is acceptable...

Top Bottom