Help with Site access please

Tharak

Chieftain
I was hoping someone could help me out here. I've found now for the last week or so I can't access the site at all from home. At best I can get to the HOF, but not the main site or the forums. I've tried everything I can think of (as well as a lot of things others thought of..)

Cleared my cache/history/cookies
Changed/turned off my firewall
Turned off my virus protec
Scanned system for virus/trojans/hijacks/etc
Cleared any spyware
Use a different browser
ALtered my security level/settings

Nothing seems to work

I tried pinging the site from home, and I can't even do that. Every other site I try from there works fine...

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have... :confused:

It's probably your user name. The server can be very picky about such things. If your name was Bob326, your problems would most likely go away.;)

DOn't think its my username - I can't even get to the site, let alone the forums, so my username doesn't even come into play - if it did, I wouldn't be able to get on now from a different computer....

Well, to me it depends on the reliability of your connection. Are you on a cable or dial-up? Since ATM, the Highspeed networks is having a little hic-ups.

Tharak said:
DOn't think its my username - I can't even get to the site, let alone the forums, so my username doesn't even come into play - if it did, I wouldn't be able to get on now from a different computer....
It was a joke, sorry it was too obscure. Welcome to CFC.
:)

CivGeneral said:
Well, to me it depends on the reliability of your connection. Are you on a cable or dial-up? Since ATM, the Highspeed networks is having a little hic-ups.

what's ATM?

Tharak said:
I was hoping someone could help me out here. I've found now for the last week or so I can't access the site at all from home. At best I can get to the HOF, but not the main site or the forums.
Well, at least you can get to the HOF :). What do you mean by "can't access"? What happens? Do you get an error? Does the page start loading then stop? etc.

Will try to answer all the questions (sorry if I miss one..)

I am trying to access from home. I have checked all my security/firewall setups, and can't find where I might have restriced access to myself.

I have high speed cable modem - I wondered if my ISP had been blocked by the site or something - every other site I try works..

When I say "can't access" I mean that nothing comes up - I type in the address, the computer "thinks" for a variable lenght of time, then that generic windows DNS screen comes up saying it can't access the page, make sure you typed it in correctly, etc., etc.

Thanks to everyone for any suggestions..

Would you happen to have Comcast? Their service has been spotty over the last few days, especially in the DNS category from what I've heard.

Not to my knowledge :) I've been around for a few years, but rarely post - I don't think I've said anything even remotely inflammatory, so I'm at a loss to explain the problem :(

Xerol said:
Would you happen to have Comcast? Their service has been spotty over the last few days, especially in the DNS category from what I've heard.
Are there any plans that they will fix this anytime soon, since its getting very annoying.

I've been having problems with Comcast too. It seems the cache does help (atleast with Netscape.) But, it's still spotty...

More about the Comcast screwyness is listed here

Hey! I can finally get back on from home - after 3 weeks! Anyone know what (if anything) changed? My computer has been idle for over a week since I've been away, so I don't think its on my end..

Top Bottom