1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hidden Arquebusier from the Vanilla Game?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Joij21, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Joij21

Joij21 Prince

I was just browsing on the Civilization IV homepage when suddenly as I was looking at the screenshots I found some peculiar pictures. They appear to show cyan colored arquebusiers that are part of the Greek civilization. They even have a stand like thing to keep the weapon propped up when fortified.

civ-4_screen1[1].jpg

civ-4_screen10[1].jpg

civ-4_screen13[1].jpg

The link to where I found them is here https://civilization.com/civilization-4/

It appears like this might have been the Alpha or Beta version judging by the smoother terrain and strange looking trees. Though still it looks cool that this could have been the original musketman, especially judging from the fact that the ones that are not fortified are using the musketman's idle pose. Too bad it didn't make it into the game as it would have made a great early gunpowder unit. What do you guys think?

2. MightyToad

MightyToad Warlord

Ooo :drool:
    I'd be very interested in this. Maybe some one some where has this. Maybe they released an early demo, or something thats languishing on some forgotten server.

3. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

They didn't unfortunately. Those are indeed alpha assets, with some traces (such as low-res textures) still in game files. I tried negotiating their release with Firaxis people a while ago for the benefit of the modding community, but nothing came out of it.

4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

These musketmen (and the pikemen seen in the pike-longbow Malinese group) look very close to Civ3 musketmen and pikemen. It seems that Firaxis initially used 3D model prototypes of Civ3 sprites, or initially designed Civ4 alpha/beta units to look like their Civ3 equivalents.