High to Low: Help me out

dmd175

Warlord
There's about 10 FFH civs I haven't played yet. I put in Hippus, Balseraphs, Bannor, Grigori, Ljo, Sidar, and Svaltafar on standard size Erebus on Prince difficulty with High to Low on so I don't know who I will end up with. Other options on: no domination victory, locked modified assets, wildlands, living world, and blessing.
Spoiler :

Here's the start.
Spoiler :

Since we are Hippus, probably best to rush and rocket to #1 so to switch teams as soon as possible. Rushing is not my specialty, so...

Comments welcome on: tech path, workers, builds, early military, etc.

Here's the save:

Attachments

• High2Low Hopeful AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    69.9 KB · Views: 59
Turn 30
Spoiler :

Settled: 1 south after making dot map to try to put as many cities in what may be a limited area
Tech: Decided to go for calendar for silk [messed up b/c later realized forest on top of silk], then AH, then exploration.
Exploration: lost 2 warriors and a scout to spider, bear, and lion
Builds: warrior, warrior, worker
Spoiler :

Turn 80
Spoiler :

Settled: to west for pigs, and next turn will move SE to get crabs/corn. My troops killed the spider, as well as a griffon and a lion
Build: then scout, settler (at happy cap)
MM: bad, somehow let capital above happy cap. also got a 1 :yuck: penalty in capital
Techs: took AC, then fishing for crabs/fish soon, now crafting then mines
Plan: settle SE, S, NW, and NE and try to find some rival civs.
Spoiler :

Hey man,

You might reconsider restarting this game on Erebus Continents. Erebus is not a great mapscript, as you typically have 4-5 isolated continents. Like in this game it can take a long time before you even meet anyone, so it is that much later that you have the opportunity to switch civs.

Akatosh
I didn't see Erebus continents as an option (maybe b/c I'm running basic FFH 0.42 I think).

Been following your MNAI Elohim SG. Pretty awesome.

Long story short, built team 2 up into #1 and switched to Minister Koun, a breakaway but ally of the Hippus. Will start another attempt.

Spoiler :

Turn 81 switched
Spoiler :
...to Arendel

Hippus was 190 power, Arendel is 146, and she is in contact with Perp who is 186.

In contrast to Hippus who are about to have 3 cities, Arendel has only capital, but she has 9 warriors to the

Hippus who had 4.

Builds: Monument already in capital (why did she build this when creative?*), and 6 turns from settler.

Improvements: There are no improvements around Evermore (!), presumably due to the lizards. She has a single worker.

Spoiler :

Exploration:
Spoiler :

--Arendel has a lizardman on top of a hill/ruins 1SE of her capital. Should I clear that out (will take some suicides) b/c it may harass workers and limit improvements, or try to leave for XP farm?
--She had explored lots to W and NW and we can see the southern tip of Perpentach. We seem to be walled off from

them by mountains.

Civics: Ag, which I will leave unchanged for now

Techs: she has Ag, Calendar, AH, Expl, Crafting, and is 6 turns from festivals. Not sure why festivals was prioritized. Will finish that, and then think about one of mining, hunting, AC->Education. (*edit, must have gotten monument by an event given she does not have AC)

Demographics:
2nd in soldiers, 29k (1st = 42k)
Last in crop yield, 13 (1st = 28)
2nd last in GNP, 18 (1st = 35)
2nd last in MFG, 6 (1st = 12)
1st city on top 5 list

Plan:
--Kill lizard
--Improvements: wine, cow
--Further, the lizard is on a pig hill, so they have to go so pigs can be worked.
--Second city
--Fogbust
--Tech: lots of jungle W in settling room, so will have to go for BW

Turn 81-100
--Only had to suicide one valiant warrior against the lizard, then sent in highest promoted (drill 1/guerilla)warrior
--Turn 82: guess who is coming to dinner? Orthus 4E2S of capital. He killed our previously highest promoted warrior and then suicided three more before we killed him. We're down from 9 to 4 (thanks Arendel for the stack)
--Turn 87: too much jungle W to settle for now. Have to go 4NE of capital, as that's the only food resource readily available.
--Turn 96: got slaves from giving money to town guard captain, this will allow me to keep building settlers in capital which is at happy cap (until we can hook a wine up)

Turn 101-131
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

--Turn 102: Discovered copper NW of Evermore
--Tech: going for BW is ensuring we will be behind on Education/cottages...what would others do?
--Builds Evermore builds market (need cash) and then carnival to keep raising happy cap.
--Turn 113: Bruit founded
--Turn 118: RoK founded. Letum Frigus spotted SE of Bruti.
--Turn 120: We meet Grigori, with a hero drill 4 scout north of us, perhaps walled off behind mountains.
--Turn 125: Acheron settles, not sure where (but on turn 131 we get a clue)
Spoiler :

--Turn 130: BW in, and brings us from score 260 to 294, just behind Perp at 299. Will get AC and maybe a city to put over him, maybe into #1.
--Score chart:
Spoiler :

Turn 131-200
Spoiler :

--Turn 135: overtake Perp with AC tech (328 to 318). I want to jump quickly b/c with Acheron to the west there is going to be limited room to expand.
--Turn 136: Lots of barbarians to the west. FoL founded.
--Turn 139: Yonna founded. OB with Cassiel.
--There is a pile of barbarians, lizards, and goblins coming from the West.
--Turn 144: OO founded.
--Turn 149: Godking
--Turn 156: Dendrom
--Turn 159: found a Zealot in lair
--Turn 161: Perp demands WM, gave it.
--Turn 162: Eaca founded.
--Turn 163: Heron throne far away
--Turn 164: OO in Evermore and revolt.
--Turn 170: Education
--Turn 191: Pact of Nilhorn
--Turn 194: Perp now demands Masonry; we're both OO, so refused. Now 100 in score ahead of Perp, but still Arendel (627 to 527).
--Turn 196: Changed...to Minister Koun.

Spoiler :

We are Hippus and seem to be a splinter city from the Hippus. We are a team with regular Green Hippus/Tasunke. If we were adversary with Tasunke I'm sure they would steamroll the city. We're a team and so that will be an unfair advantage in that I'll have my boarder protected, can demand from them resources, etc. Will start another game.

How many times do you have to switch? I've never played high to low.

Btw, why don't you join us for the next SG?

5 IIRC.
ONe comment:
Tho its possible the wide city placements were to boost score, I didnt like them from a strategic POV - theyre too far apart which makes for bad micro with sharing of tiles.
I also think that you're initial city should've a) been placed on one of the plentiful plains hills for the production advantage and b) been planted to take at least one commerce resources in the BFC - as is the commerce production was very slow.
Personally I would've planted on the plains hill 2 to the west, and gone crafting -> mining -> calender to open up the two commerce resources, while going worker -> warrior (to a reasonable size) -> settler, planted maybe SE, S of where you did, growing on the agrarian farms and working the other silk.
Then to the north for the incense, or east to where you went.

Erebus COntinents:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=308590

Edit: and yeah why not join the SG?

How many times do you have to switch? I've never played high to low.
it's two switches, so you take the 3rd civ to victory. I played it once before yesterday and really liked it. Then started as calabim, built them up and used world spell after 5 cities and switched. Then to Svalt who were hemmed in by an aggressive Elohim and Perp, and fit a ton of cities in a valley, and then switched to amurites. they were stranded on a desert island with two cities and no tech. put a bunch of cities back on that island and used spring liberally, then finally invaded Calabim across the sea and then elohim (who had basium by then).

Tho its possible the wide city placements were to boost score, I didnt like them from a strategic POV - theyre too far apart which makes for bad micro with sharing of tiles.
I tend to space cities, thinking longterm I want mega cities, but I realize from eg from the SG that early game you need overlap for defense and sharing worked tiles. something I'm sure I will learn at higher levels and in SG.

Would love to and would learn a lot. Let me know

Top Bottom