High War Score Means Unending War

I have the same issue right now, even without the "bug" showing. Even when it doesn't seem to bug and put their last city on the peace table they still usually won't peace out.

I think the bug is when the war score demands the AI surrenders their last city which they cannot do. I can attest to the fact that if the AI would have cities left after peace, they can accept your peace terms to give up cities. In my game yesterday, AI Barre agreed to my peace and gave up 2 cities, he had 1 city left after peace.

I was browsing through the XML looking for something else when I came across these, under the comment "Diplomacy 2.0":

Code:
    <Row Name="PEACE_TERMS_STALEMATE_MIN_TURNS">
      <Value>25</Value>
    </Row>
    <Row Name="PEACE_TERMS_WINNING_MIN_TURNS">
      <Value>35</Value>
    </Row>
    <Row Name="PEACE_TERMS_LOSING_MIN_TURNS">
      <Value>15</Value>
    </Row>

Perhaps what these mean are the minimum number of turns that the war needs to last for before any type of peace is considered. So, if the AI is losing, they can't consider peace until the war has lasted at least 15 turns. Later in the game, 15 turns can feel like a long time. And if neither side is winning, you'll need to war for at least 25 -- that can feel like forever!

If this is true, perhaps Firaxis needs two more values? One for when they're getting absolutely crushed and losing, maybe a 5? And another when the AI is doing the crushing, maybe 45? Especially the "really losing" value, at least.

Though, in my last domination game, it did make it a little more fun and challenging not being able to peace out so easily once I conquered each AI's capital. It took a while, but they would eventually accept peace, I just had to hold out and guard the capitals. A couple times I didn't have enough leftover or I would get too comfortable and move troops out to help on another battlefront only to have the AI charge in and take back their capital.

Next time I'm warring I'm going to count turns and see how true this is. Or maybe someone else may want to mod these values to something lower to test things out and see if it really makes the game better to peace out so quickly.

Perhaps what these mean are the minimum number of turns that the war needs to last for before any type of peace is considered. So, if the AI is losing, they can't consider peace until the war has lasted at least 15 turns. Later in the game, 15 turns can feel like a long time. And if neither side is winning, you'll need to war for at least 25 -- that can feel like forever!

Thanks. This might explain a lot, like why we saw the AI constantly refuse peace in the let's plays. Players are too good at war. We crush the AI in less than 15 turns, sue for peace and don't understand why the AI would refuse when the war score is like 1000-0. Then, after the 15 turns, the AI suddenly offers us peace and we go "why didn't you accept my peace a minute ago when the situation was the same?"

I can't even believe it's working as intended. Looks totally like a bug. I take all his cities but 1, then try to make peace (I even really mean it, don't plan on taking his last city), but because of this warscore "bug" I can't offer peace without demanding his last city, which he obviously won't give.

Another example that shows this must (should) be a bug:

You want to do a small tall empire and focus on research and culture. Somebody declares war on you. You have to defend yourself and beat all his units. You try to declare peace to continue your small tall empire... but no, you have to accept some shty cities of his because.... there just isn't any option to not do so. How can it be that you can't just declare white peace. makes no sense, either gameplay or reality wise.

You want to do a small tall empire and focus on research and culture. Somebody declares war on you. You have to defend yourself and beat all his units. You try to declare peace to continue your small tall empire... but no, you have to accept some shty cities of his because.... there just isn't any option to not do so. How can it be that you can't just declare white peace. makes no sense, either gameplay or reality wise.

In the example above, if you fight a defensive war because you want to stay a small empire, so you just kill a bunch of enemy units and that's all, the war score would offer white peace and the AI would accept. So the game already gives you what you want. The war score would only force you to take enemy cities if you went on the offensive and captured a bunch of AI cities first.

In the example above, if you fight a defensive war because you want to stay a small empire, so you just kill a bunch of enemy units and that's all, the war score would offer white peace and the AI would accept. So the game already gives you what you want. The war score would only force you to take enemy cities if you went on the offensive and captured a bunch of AI cities first.

No, happened to me yesterday. I had 4 cities and didn't want more. One AI declares war and comes at me with about 10 units. I destroy the 10 units, and the only option I had to declare peace was to ask for 1 of their cities. I finally had to take the city to end the war and be able to continue focusing on research.

Makes no sense.

Edit: it was a dwarf size map, I don't know if warscore is affected by that.

No, happened to me yesterday. I had 4 cities and didn't want more. One AI declares war and comes at me with about 10 units. I destroy the 10 units, and the only option I had to declare peace was to ask for 1 of their cities. I finally had to take the city to end the war and be able to continue focusing on research.

Makes no sense.

Edit: it was a dwarf size map, I don't know if warscore is affected by that.

Maybe the map size does affect the war score. Normally, just killing 10 units, should still be a white peace in my experience.

By the way, on today's BERT live stream, Pete Murray did reiterate that the team has seen our feedback and is working hard on fixing the war score and info is coming soon.

Just to see things on the flip side of things, right now I'm pretty much stuck in war with Kozlov because he got a warscore advantage on me before I could get my military up and running. Now, every five turns he asks for peace, but demands my only city as payment. Yeah, like that's happening anytime soon!

Spoils of War please! I don't want their cities! :D
no one wants their garbage cities.

its probably a lot worse in Multi-player why would you surrender 2 or more of your cities? I would rather fight, that way there is a good chance whoever defeated me is weaker and could be overtaken themselves.

I think the bug is when the war score demands the AI surrenders their last city which they cannot do. I can attest to the fact that if the AI would have cities left after peace, they can accept your peace terms to give up cities. In my game yesterday, AI Barre agreed to my peace and gave up 2 cities, he had 1 city left after peace.

So from what I can tell, if you are "dominating" the AI and it has more than 1 city remaining, then they may be required to give up all their cities, including their current capital. Which they likely aren't able to do.

However, if you get them down to one city, the game suddenly recognizes that it can't give away their capital so it drops back down to white peace. Then the AI likely will say yes, assuming you are dominating and the 15-turn limit has passed.

Respect/fear may also be a factor -- the AI clearly still has a respect score even though it is hidden while at war. I expect there is a minimum respect or fear level required to go from "war" to "sanctioned". I am generally finding that when the AI does agree to make peace with me (rarely), they turn out to have a respect score of 7-9, or a similarly high fear. Of course that could be a coincidence since by turn 150 basically every leader will have 7-9 respect for you because you're just kicking they're butts and they love it.

It also seems like the AIs have personality flavours determining their likeliness to make peace. Al Falah or PAU seems to accept peace more readily than Integr or ARC for example.

Respect/fear may also be a factor -- the AI clearly still has a respect score even though it is hidden while at war.

I would point out that Barre had a very high respect score for me before I DoW'ed him. So, his high respect may have contributed to him accepting my peace.

I think they need some type of bargaining, but limiting it to cities is just fine.

I'd say
War Score goes up any time you kill something with combat strength&hit points (including a city)
Roughly proportoinal to that
War Score is then used to 'purchase' the following items
-any city you took from them in the war (otherwise peace automatically gives it back)
-any non capital city they currently have
(Cities have a cost based on pop, buildings, and strategic resources)
-"Forced Peace"...if you put this on they MUST accept, it is very expensive depending on military strength left on other side
All remaining War Score is 'spent' on Taking energy from their treasury and getting Diplo Capital from nowhere.
So all you have to do is decide
-which cities do I get/give up
-do I want to force it
Or do I accept the AIs non forced offer.

I think they need some type of bargaining, but limiting it to cities is just fine.

I'd say
War Score goes up any time you kill something with combat strength&hit points (including a city)
Roughly proportoinal to that
War Score is then used to 'purchase' the following items
-any city you took from them in the war (otherwise peace automatically gives it back)
-any non capital city they currently have
(Cities have a cost based on pop, buildings, and strategic resources)
-"Forced Peace"...if you put this on they MUST accept, it is very expensive depending on military strength left on other side
All remaining War Score is 'spent' on Taking energy from their treasury and getting Diplo Capital from nowhere.
So all you have to do is decide
-which cities do I get/give up
-do I want to force it
Or do I accept the AIs non forced offer.

As i agree with a negotiation system, i dont want to have all the numbers and mathematics in the foreground.

All these numbers and points and scores and the results of the equations should be happening in the background, overlayed with graphical and dialogue displays.

It breaks immersion when I have all these numbers pop up on my screen. i would prefer to have to deal in dialogue options, which in effect relate to the math happening in the background.

So instead of distributing points in exchange for cities, energy etc, I would have to engage in dialogue and attempt to make the request, with the AI giving me an answer, obviously based on the math, but im not prsented with it on screen, instead I get a response, making it feel like im actually involved in a conversation with a human, not a calculator.

All these numbers and points and scores and the results of the equations should be happening in the background

I disagree. Not specifically about warscore, but about your statement in general. Until civ4, civ games had lots of statistics that got hidden in civ5 and BE. I hated that. I want to see everything.

What you say sounds nice in theory, but in practice, an AI leader saying something results in just randomness. I want to see the modifiers and statistics

I disagree. Not specifically about warscore, but about your statement in general. Until civ4, civ games had lots of statistics that got hidden in civ5 and BE. I hated that. I want to see everything.

What you say sounds nice in theory, but in practice, an AI leader saying something results in just randomness. I want to see the modifiers and statistics

Well i dont think that is the way to go, what is the point of even having leaders and factions with back story and dialogue when all you want to see is the calculation and stats to get around diplomacy.

May aswell just have Faction A, Faction B instead of characters and diplomacy is reduced to a spread sheet simulator.

I mean, think about it, all video games run on mathematics, but you don t want to see it, you want to experience the game and the overlay of the math.

Diplomacy is supposed to be done with conversation, negotiation. The only reason we have mathematics to take care of it is because it is supposed to simulate human behavior since we lack the technological know how to have actual AI.

Well i dont think that is the way to go, what is the point of even having leaders and factions with back story and dialogue when all you want to see is the calculation and stats to get around diplomacy.

May aswell just have Faction A, Faction B instead of characters and diplomacy is reduced to a spread sheet simulator.

I mean, think about it, all video games run on mathematics, but you don t want to see it, you want to experience the game and the overlay of the math.

Diplomacy is supposed to be done with conversation, negotiation. The only reason we have mathematics to take care of it is because it is supposed to simulate human behavior since we lack the technological know how to have actual AI.

I want both things. You can create a nice avatar, and nice speach, and that is good. But I don't want you to tell me you hate me. I want a list of modifiers that show me what is making you hate me. Sure, you can say: well, he should talk to you and thell you those things. Again, it sounds good in theory. but for example if there are 10 modifiers per leader, you can't have all that in a talking screen.

And diplomacy is just one part. There are lots of stats missing, that we had access in previous civs, but were streamlined since civ5. I miss having much more info.

I want both things. You can create a nice avatar, and nice speach, and that is good. But I don't want you to tell me you hate me. I want a list of modifiers that show me what is making you hate me. Sure, you can say: well, he should talk to you and thell you those things. Again, it sounds good in theory. but for example if there are 10 modifiers per leader, you can't have all that in a talking screen.

And diplomacy is just one part. There are lots of stats missing, that we had access in previous civs, but were streamlined since civ5. I miss having much more info.

agreed, i would not want just a statement saying that the civ hates me, but a wide variety of responses which are relayed to you using the math to decide what kind of response i get.

so instead of say: try to form alliance but i cant because the mouse over says i am short 50 diplo points, i try to ask for an alliance , with the response saying "im afraid we seek cooperation with only those nations who are heavily invested in opening international trade" telling me to start focusing on trade to get them interested or " sorry, not at this time, we dont feel you have the diplmatic clout we are currently looking for to shape this allaince." this would tell me that i am lacking some diplomatic influence, so i should maybe start off with getting some trade agreements in place, or trade routes or help in some kind of conflict which would help elevate my diplomatic standing with them. This is of course based off of the math of the diplo point system, just that its not presented to me in that fashion, basically converting the math into a conversational presentation.

Or if i cant form a co op agreement cos my fear is not high enough, but just a point off, instead of showing me i just need to get one more point of fear, a response could be "As we are intimidated by your military prowess, we are not willing to give in to the demands of generals." or if my fear is high enough "We recognize the strength of your civilization and we regrettably give in to the demands you present"

So basically instead of just a few lines of dialogue, there is a rather large amount of responses that the leader gives you based on the current math happening in the background. From the responses, you can garner what you lack or what you need to bring to the negotiation table to secure a treaty.

Being able to see the exact math of what is happening kind of feels like i have entered a cheat code allowing me to see exactly what i need to do to navigate through diplomacy, rather than feeling like i am actually engaging in serious political negotiations.

It kind of happens on a small scale already with the little communique pop ups. albeit on a far simpler scale. Those communiques are dialogue reflections on why they are liking you or disliking you , based on the math occurring in the background from which ever trait the AI has chosen. Except you don't get the chance to answer back to them, so if someone loses respect with you because of low pop count, you could have the chance to say to them you plan on focusing on that, and it could give a little respect back in their eyes, or you could tell them to mind your own business. If you dont keep your promise of improving that area, then you get a larger respect loss.

Top Bottom