Ho ho ho and a bottle of Tokaj! - A Magyar civ

Thank you for your words! Although this is not only my work. A lot of people have worked together to get this done, but I think it was worth it ;)

I'd like to download the mod and play as the Hungarians (I am Hungarian myself), but the links seem to be broken.

Where can I download this great CIV?

Köszönöm.

Hmmm... unfortunately, I get notifications from civfanatics only irregularily. Seems like my email hoster is sometimes considered save, sometimes not... Anyways, the link is not broken, I've just tried it out. Maybe mediafire was on maintenance. On the other hand, people have reported problems with mediafire earlier. Maybe it's your location or - more likely - your browser (I am using Firefox). Unfortunately, I am not registered anywhere else, so can't help you with an alternative.

Hmmm... unfortunately, I get notifications from civfanatics only irregularily. Seems like my email hoster is sometimes considered save, sometimes not... Anyways, the link is not broken, I've just tried it out. Maybe mediafire was on maintenance. On the other hand, people have reported problems with mediafire earlier. Maybe it's your location or - more likely - your browser (I am using Firefox). Unfortunately, I am not registered anywhere else, so can't help you with an alternative.

I understand. I am currently using the Mod after Mediafire got up and running again. However, the current question is that I seem to be missing a few things. For example, I cannot see the religions of civs by looking at their names. If I click on their name to bring up their faces and animations, the religion they follow will appear near their name. However, it even still will not show up on the quick reference area on the right side, nor will it show my religion. I discovered this when I was looking for a rounder of religion by 1000 BC, as nobody converted! haha, imagine my surprise when I found out that most of the civs had religions by then!

Also I am missing the watermark for when I have the mod open. All I have is a white page "file not found"-esque icon to launch the mod. I installed it into my /BeyondtheSword folder for CIV IV BTS, so it all went well. Otherwise everything seems to work.

Any suggestions? I can send a photo if you'd like.

Sorry for the delay, but once again civfanatics didn't send me a notification. Sometimes it does, sometimes not, strange...

I am somewhat out of civ4 now, which might be the reason for why I don't exactly understand where the problem occurs. I get that religions aren't displayed correctly in the game. This might be because I use WoC (World of Civilization) Lite modcomp to be able to mod some things more (like diplotexts). If I recall correctly, it also changed a few ui things. Yet I can't recall that I would have noticed anything strange with religions when playing (and I played this mod a lot back then). Besides of a problem with the icons above the citynames. I fixed this later, although I am not 100% sure that I released the fixed version (but I think I did). I always checked the list of rulers names above the minimap - there, the religions always showed up for me. If I got you correctly, this is also where you checked it. No idea why it doesn't work for you...

Unfortunately, I don't really got what your second problem is, though. At least for this one, a screenshot would be great to see. I don't remember that the game couldn't find any files for me, so no idea for this problem either.

What comes to my mind: what version of the game do you use? Is it the boxed version you bought in an ordinary store or is it a steam version? If the latter, this could cause problems. As far as I know, the directory structure is different there. As I don't know how exactly it looks like, I was not able to make sure that the mod will work for it...

It might also help to compare the sizes of the installers of the mod to see if your download is corrupted (although I can't imagine that it is while you are still able to install the mod). My exe-file is 94882413 Bytes large.

Hey, I noticed some leaderheads using Shaka or Genghis Khan's headband thing are glitched.

Example:

Any way to fix this?

Hmmmm... Never had problems like this back then... I can remember that these fur parts used a different shader than the other parts. Also, as I've always been a fan of fur, I paid a lot of time to use them and to get them working as with the original leaderheads, but rarely had luck...

Now, due to the different shader, I guess there might be compatibility issues with graphics cards or drivers. Also, I've seen similar issues with Colonization leaderheads on my system, althought I wonder that you have similar trouble with my leaderheads... In any case, I won't return to Modding, but I have an idea about what you can try as workaround. As with the original leaderheads, I always provided two versions of my leaderheads: a shadered one and one without shaders. You could switch to the unshadered version by configuring the artdefines xml for leaderheads. That will look worse (shadered version is there for a reason, right?), but if you like to mod, you could edit the shadered version with nifskope replacing the shadered version with the unshadered. That might lead to a fair compromise.

I'd be curious about the outcome of this, so feel free to keep me updated ;)

It is most certainly a problem with my graphics card or driver. The issue is present with Genghis and Shaka too.

Oh well.

Hey Cool, nice to see you around! :)
If you don't mind, I would like to propose some further updates to the mod, first of all with the city lists.
I always hated how the city list is implemented here. I remember your reasons, but I still very strongly disagree.
Many of the most important Hungarian cities (like Kolozsvár, Pozsony, Eszék, Arad, Gyulafehérvár, Nyitra, Kassa, Nándorfehérvár, Munkács, Nagyvárad, and the list goes on and on) are not included in a historic game.
This simply doesn't work this way for any other civ in Civilization.

Anyway, now I propose a solution which also works with your views on this.
Recently I added leader-specific city lists to Realism Invictus.
So each leader can have a list appropriate and specific to the era he lived in: Esztergom could be capital for István, while Buda for all other medival leaders, and Budapest for the 20th century ones.
The current list will more or less work for the modern leaders, but it should be radically different for all the others.
We can have all the most important Hungarian cities (thus the different Hungarian time periods) presented correctly, without any conflicts with anyone.

@TheLastOne: that's what the unshadered leaderheads are for: incompatible graphics cards. Try the workaround I described or lowering your graphics settings in civ4. Won't look that well, but at least no glitches.

@AbsintheRed: Hey, long time no see. Meanwhile, Hungary managed to quality for the european soccer championship - cool!

I like your idea. I'm not really familiar with Realism Invictus, but on first sight, it seems like it doesn't include the modcomp I used to support modular citystyles. In this case, I think the price would be too high to support leaderhead dependent citylists...

I'll take a closer look at Realism Invictus the next days to check that.

@AbsintheRed: Hey, long time no see. Meanwhile, Hungary managed to quality for the european soccer championship - cool!

I hope you followed all the Hungarian matches, it was awesome to see how well they played :)
We almost shattered all Portuguese dreams even in the group stage :king:

I like your idea. I'm not really familiar with Realism Invictus, but on first sight, it seems like it doesn't include the modcomp I used to support modular citystyles. In this case, I think the price would be too high to support leaderhead dependent citylists...

I'll take a closer look at Realism Invictus the next days to check that.

Realism Invictus is a full mod. Actually it's one of the biggest mod projects out there, if not the single biggest one.
It includes various citysytles, nevertheless this is something independent from that.
I'm not even entirely sure what you meant here, but adding leader specific city lists won't mess up anything already in this mod.

I only meant that if you would like to, I will update the city list code to be able to add this mechanics here as well.
We can put together all the leader city lists continuously, which is time-consuming, but fun to do :)

I hopeyoufollowed all the Hungarian matches, it was awesome to see how well they played
We almost shattered all Portuguese dreams even in the group stage
Of course I did! I've watched the qualifying matches for ten years, this tournament was the well-deserved reward for both, me and the team ;) And we can be proud: our team reached the best result against the Portugues, out of all the teams that played against them!

To come back to business, I believe I misunderstood you. I thought you want me to make this mod compatible with Realism Invictus, so that the citylist can be made leader-dependent. This ways, I was sceptic, because I used a certain modcomp to have the hungarian citysets (houses etc.) unique. This can be done in a modular way, so that I don't need to redefine all the art configuration, which lowers the risk of compatibility problems with other mods. I am not sure, if Realism Invictus includes that modcomp or something similar, so that I could keep the unique citysets for Hungary. If I couldn't keep it, but have to use the default citysets instead, this would be a high price for having a more dynamic citylist.

But if you can provide me some code to enable that modding feature, then I could extend the mod with dynamic citylists as you suggested. But please be aware that the modcomp I used for the cityart support, is a dll (C++-code). If the components necessary to support dynamic citylists, are also a dll, it might be difficult to merge the two so that they can work together.

Of course I did! I've watched the qualifying matches for ten years, this tournament was the well-deserved reward for both, me and the team ;) And we can be proud: our team reached the best result against the Portugues, out of all the teams that played against them!

Yeah, I think all Hungarians were/are very proud :)
And if that huge goalpost (is it the correct term in English for kapufa?) after 3-3 goes only 2 centimeters closer... :cool:
Anyway, we can still say that we have won the group ahead of them, they barely finished on the 3rd place, mostly because of us.

To come back to business, I believe I misunderstood you. I thought you want me to make this mod compatible with Realism Invictus, so that the citylist can be made leader-dependent. This ways, I was sceptic, because I used a certain modcomp to have the hungarian citysets (houses etc.) unique. This can be done in a modular way, so that I don't need to redefine all the art configuration, which lowers the risk of compatibility problems with other mods. I am not sure, if Realism Invictus includes that modcomp or something similar, so that I could keep the unique citysets for Hungary. If I couldn't keep it, but have to use the default citysets instead, this would be a high price for having a more dynamic citylist.
Ahh, now I see. But no, Realism Invictus has it's own take on Hungary, you should take a look whenever you have some time :)

But if you can provide me some code to enable that modding feature, then I could extend the mod with dynamic citylists as you suggested. But please be aware that the modcomp I used for the cityart support, is a dll (C++-code). If the components necessary to support dynamic citylists, are also a dll, it might be difficult to merge the two so that they can work together.
Sure, will look into it for this mod too
It can be done without the dll, but if you alredy have a custom dll for the mod it's probably wise to include the main call there.

Okay, please give me all instructions to enable the dynamic citylists and I'll extend the mod with it. As I didn't like it really much to mess with the dll, I'd first try to enable this without changes to the dll. Or, if you prefer, describe both methods, maybe you can convince me ;)

Great :)
I'm on holiday right now.
Will look into it when I'm back.

Just wanted to say that from tomorrow on, I'll be away for around a week.

Just wanted to say that from tomorrow on, I'll be away for around a week.

Ohh, it's the opposite for me, I just got back from my vacation :)
Are you coming to Hungary again?
Btw, did you think about the different city lists for the leaders?

Yeah, I'm in Hungary right now!

I would implement the citylist as you suggested, if you'd give me the instruction about how to do it without touching the dll.

So I am back and could look Info this if you point me to where I can find instructions or an example about how to do it without touching the dll. And of course, the desired citylists would be handy.

OFF

It's odd that Serbija and serb minorities started the bloodshed to establish Great-Serbija and their country is the one that falls apart now.
They lose big amount of culturally very important territories for them, Kosovo, Crna Gora, had to leave Croatia etc.
It's something like Trianon was for us i think.

Never spoke with a serb about this.

Sorry, but you need to know very good Balkan history before speak about relationship between Crna Gora (Montenegro) and Srbija (Serbia). Montenegro was independent kingdom before Serbia, first Balkan
country in that time called Duklja and the only independent country on Balkan in time of Ottoman empire and Austro-Hungarian empire. You can see on this gif:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Balkans#/media/File:Balkans_Animation_1800-2008.gif
Here you can see what was before, Montenegro also was free, but they put just Montenegrin town Cattaro, today Kotor:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timel...n_-_Expansion_territòriala_de_1307_a_1683.png
Here are some facts, for example in 1918. after WW the first Crna Gora was on wining side and after war Serbia with France military occupied Crne Gora...
In the 9th century, there were three principalities on the territory of Montenegro: Duklja, roughly corresponding to the southern half, Travunia, the west, and Rascia, the north. In 1042, Stefan Vojislav led a revolt that resulted in the independence of Duklja and the establishment of the Vojislavljević dynasty. Duklja reached its zenith under Vojislav's son, Mihailo (1046–81), and his grandson Bodin (1081–1101).[1] By the 13th century, Zeta had replaced Duklja when referring to the realm. In the late 14th century, southern Montenegro (Zeta) came under the rule of the Balšić noble family, then the Crnojević noble family, and by the 15th century, Zeta was more often referred to as Crna Gora (Venetian: monte negro). Large portions fell under the control of the Ottoman Empire from 1496 to 1878. Parts were controlled by Venice. From 1515 until 1851 the prince-bishops (vladikas) of Cetinje were the rulers. The House of Petrović-Njegoš ruled until 1918. From 1918, it was a part of Yugoslavia. On the basis of an independence referendum held on 21 May 2006, Montenegro declared independence or re independ from Serbia and Montenegro on 3 June of that year.
Becouse all this facts Montenegro is the smallest but longest country and that will be nice to see Montenegro in new Civ VII as special small and very brave nation.

Top Bottom