HOF III August Gauntlet

I though about this and already have 2 cities like those. It brings me another question : how many cities do you guys have for this small/regent/spaceship game ?

The most expensive tech you need is robotics, which is 6400 beakers.

So you need to be able to get 1600 bpt.

13*2.5*1.5 *.7 (num tiles * average cpt/tile * multipliers * avg corruption) = 34 beakers/turn/science. Your cap will get around 300 bpt, so youi need something like 1300/34 or 40 cities.

Ok, well, that's probably not accurate - Tone's 830 AD game had 60 cities, more than half of which were 90% corrupt and he was making just about 1600 a turn. Interestingly, of the ones that weren't 90% corrupt, he had about 30% corruption across them, so my 70% WAG wasn't so bad.

You should probably be continually adding cities through the middle ages or until you run out of space. If you run out of space, go take someone else's cities (but don't knock anyone out, cause of the free techs)

Nice game, Spoonwood. You were lucky to get Theology as freebie, I've got Chivalry. But you didn't get 4 turn research fast (I've got it in the middle of MA), didn't get GA fast and entered MA later.
I won't finish on time as I'll be back home
only on 29th.
For Naok if he is still interested: early sgl is a must for fast finish, at least + 5 food; trade for AI starting techs and trade for era change freebies, pop (if Russians) or research other techs, expand as fast as you can to use coorupted towns as science farms (irrigate everything and use surplus food to feed scientists; connect luxuries; build few units to conquer some towns or defend. That is it, I probably didn't tell something new.

For Naok if he is still interested: early sgl is a must for fast finish, at least + 5 food; trade for AI starting techs and trade for era change freebies, pop (if Russians) or research other techs, expand as fast as you can to use coorupted towns as science farms (irrigate everything and use surplus food to feed scientists; connect luxuries; build few units to conquer some towns or defend. That is it, I probably didn't tell something new.

I am still pretty much interested by any comments to improve my playing. For the moment I didn´t get any game with a SGL in the AA. I stopped all my games with sumeria at the beginning of the MA because I found I am really late (around 900BC). I wanted to give a try to Russia so I have now Mapfinder to find a good start for Russia. I guess I won´t finish a game in time.

With the concern of how many cities, I understood I need min 40 cities and upto 60. I planned science farms like you speak Ignas. I have some questions about it :
- how far are those science farms from the capital ?
- do you build any building in those cities ?
- how many cities do you consider as your core cities ?

- how far: once you start getting too much corruption. A lot of people pick 50% at the level at which it doesn't make sense to build a lot of infrastructure. A city should make more science with infrastructure at even 70% corruption, but the lack of hammers means it takes a long time and it's often better to just make them science farms.

- Generally, only aqueducts, maybe harbors. One thing is that with civil engineers, some early farms can build courts pretty quickly and get turned into another ring of "core" cities.

- On this game, I'd go with 20 or so. Make sure you build your forbidden palace!!

This assume conquests, of course. PTW or vanilla have a completely different corruption model.

I'm actually trying out this gauntlet. SGL fishing (a must for a competitive time) is annoying. I've gotten a few, but they have been on starts with pretty unfortunate land (no real good second/3rd cities or tons of jungle. I had one with a couple of wheats nearby, but on the coast and with no shield potential....

I've wasted too many hours on this one...I'm done.

As I am still waiting for a good start, I guess I am gonna be too late to be able to find one game and finish it until tomorrow. That a pity.

But I will continue this gauntlet until I finish a game and therefore be able tu use all comments I got to my questions. Otherwise it will be more than a pity ..... ;)

I almost forgot ... Finished in 650AD with the Russians.

Here is the start:

(Click for larger versions of the images. I hope Imagebam doesn't do too much advertizing - I wouldn't know)

I decided to move the settler on the gold hill as that would give me a lot of research right off the bat and put me on the coast. I would lose me the cow, sure, but you need a quick settler from a goody hut anyway. And I got that relatively quick settler to found St. Petersburg one tile north of the FP wheat.

Research wise I did CB and then Myst. But no leaders for those. Next tech I researched was Phil, and when I took the Republic as freebie I got my first SGL which I used on the Pyramids in Moscow. And since I had gotten CoL before Math, I could research that too. And promptly get my second SGL which I used for the MoM also in Moscow. Apart from that I had to research Currency and Construction. Here is a screenshot from 1700BC:

I believe I entered the Middle Ages two turns later in 1675BC/1650BC. I got all the first tier techs from the AIs and myself drew Theology. In 1525BC I finished the Collosus in Moscow and triggered my Golden Age pleasantly early. I used it, amongst other things of course, build Cope's in Moscow. And eventually, from Pysics on, I was able to do every tech in 4 turns.

I reached the Industrial Age in 470BC/450BC, and since I was foolish enough to trade for Nationalism I got Fascism as my Freebie. :rolleyes: I got my third SGL for Industrialisation which I promptly used to build Newton's. Here is a screenshot from 390BC:

Moscow had turned into a formidable SCC, without which I would have gotten nowhere. :lol: Here is a screenshot of Moscow from 400AD on the last turn of the IA:

The next interturn brought the Modern Age, where I got Ecology, Fission and Rocketry from the AI, where I drew Synth Fibres, and where the ToE netted me Computers and Miniaturization. I completed the Internet on that interturn too.

Another SGL (Superconductor?) was used for the SETI and finally in 640AD/650AD I could lauch. Here is one final screenshot from Moscow in 650AD:

(That ^^^ at least, is what I can remember and piece together from saves etc. :) )

...and that post concludes this gauntlet. Well done to all players for a great competition (and to superslug for holding on to his QM status :))

1st: Lord Emsworth 650AD
2nd: Spoonwood 810AD
3rd: Tone 970AD
4th: CKS 1140AD
5th: superslug 1325AD
6th: Stalintag 1385AD

Very impressive LordEmsworth. Oh... I feel fairly sure I've traded for Nationalism before and drawn Electricity or Industrialization as my free tech, then again, I suppose the probability of drawing a "good" tech instead of a "bad" tech is lower if you don't trade for Nationalism. I'll have to keep that in mind from now on.

Wow, all the dates are very impressive indeed. Congrats, Lord Emsworth and others on the list!

Congratulations everyone, and thank you for not throwing me back off the tables. This was a really fun gauntlet.

Congratulations everyone, and thank you for not throwing me back off the tables. This was a really fun gauntlet.

It inspired me to actually finish a Deity Large SS game (which, of course, came as much more complicated, but ended up a lot of fun for me!).

Top Bottom