HOF Mod Support/Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shadowsong said:
That's how I installed it. :confused:
That's good, then.

Dianthus hasn't created a new AssetsChecker for 1.61 so all I can do is play 20 questions.

• Have you made any changes to anything in the ..\Sid Meir's Civilization 4\Assets or ..\Sid Meir's Civilization 4\Mod\HOF-1.61.003 folders?
  • You said you have install on your H: drive? What file system does it have?
  • What operating systems are you using?
Please e-mail a saved game to hof@civfanatics.net so we can take a look at it. We will figure out what is different about your setup eventually, don't worry. If your game is finished then please submit. The more data points we can collect the better. :) (Note: I am at work for the next 8+ hours, so I won't be able to do much more until this evening.)

fightcancer said:
Where can I find older versions of the HOF mod? I want to look at Turkish_Guy's game of 542,000 points but I need a 1.52.001 mod.
Link to 1.52.001 (57Kb). See the readme inside the .zip for details of where to install it. It's possible that you still won't be able to load the save file due to a protected assets problem in 1.52 of Civ4. At some point I'm intending to add a page to the HOF site to allow all files to be downloaded in an unprotected form for the latest HOF mod version. I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing that though!

Methos said:
Playing a game with HoF mod v3 and found a problem. Several of the techs I've already researched are not showing up as being researched. I still gain the benefits of knowing the tech though. If I click on the tech in F6, it selects it, but when I exit to the Main screen I have to choose which tech to research.

I believe there is a bug, but I don't know if it's from the HOF mod or from Firaxis. Ever since I played with the lastest patch and HOF mod, I have been noticing some odd things. For example, in one game, I couldn't trade tech with Gandhi. My relationship with him was splotless, but no matter what I do (giving him free resources or whatever), he just refused to trade tech with me (all his techs were on the red). Later on, when I reloaded my saves during those exact time, I found out that Gandhi was actually in love with me and was offering me one of his tech for free to. Tell me again, if this isn't a bug, then I don't know what else.:crazyeye:

Moonsinger said:
Later on, when I reloaded my saves during those exact time, I found out that Gandhi was actually in love with me and was offering me one of his tech for free to.
Send me the save to hof@civfanatics.net and I'll take a look. I should be able to load it into Civ4 without the mod to verify for sure that it's not the HOF mod doing it.

Dianthus said:
Send me the save to hof@civfanatics.net and I'll take a look. I should be able to load it into Civ4 without the mod to verify for sure that it's not the HOF mod doing it.

No can do at this time, since I have already deleted all my files. I'm starting over with a blank directory a few days ago. However, the next time I feel something wrong, I will send you a screen shot and a save on that exact turn. Unless there is a screen shot to go along with the save, you probably will think that I was just seeing things that weren't there.

Denniz said:
That's good, then.

Dianthus hasn't created a new AssetsChecker for 1.61 so all I can do is play 20 questions.

• Have you made any changes to anything in the ..\Sid Meir's Civilization 4\Assets or ..\Sid Meir's Civilization 4\Mod\HOF-1.61.003 folders?
  • You said you have install on your H: drive? What file system does it have?
  • What operating systems are you using?
Please e-mail a saved game to hof@civfanatics.net so we can take a look at it. We will figure out what is different about your setup eventually, don't worry. If your game is finished then please submit.
No changes made
FAT32
Btw I just submitted my Huge Lakes game. I also emailed some saves to you.

Is there some way to start Civ4 with a command line parameter or some kind of option to select the mod before the game has loaded all the stuff?
I currently set the HoF mod as standard, but now every time I want to load an SG or multiplayer game, I have to start up Civ, restart with no mod, and load the game. Is there a way to avoid that, other than changing the .ini each time?

Thrar said:
Is there a way to avoid that, other than changing the .ini each time?
You *should* be able to just double click on the save file to open it in Civ4 with whatever mod (if any) it requires.

Thrar said:
Is there some way to start Civ4 with a command line parameter or some kind of option to select the mod before the game has loaded all the stuff?
I currently set the HoF mod as standard, but now every time I want to load an SG or multiplayer game, I have to start up Civ, restart with no mod, and load the game. Is there a way to avoid that, other than changing the .ini each time?
Try mod= mods\HOF-1.61.003 The space is required. I think someone said that mod="mods\HOF-1.61.003" works too, I didn't try it. I suppose you could try mod =None but I'm not sure that would work any better than selecting it from the advance menu. :)

Attachments

• command_line_mod.JPG
    command_line_mod.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 129
The way I do it is to have a shortcut on my desktop that jumps to where my Civilization4.INI file is located. Than just open it with Textpad and move the ";" around in this statement...

Another way is to just double-click the save file and it loads the game with that mod. Note, if my INI file is set to autoload the HoF mod and I double-click on a non-HoF mod save the computer flips out. It doesn't seem to like trying to load a non-mod game when the mod autoloads. I typically get the continuous restart loop.

Methos said:
It doesn't seem to like trying to load a non-mod game when the mod autoloads. I typically get the continuous restart loop.
Have you tried that in 1.61? I thought that had been fixed between 1.52 and 1.61, but could just be imagining things...

Dianthus on page 2 said:
I guess the autosave might be a little (though I don't think noticeably) slower, but I don't see why anything else would be any slower.
Sorry I took so long getting back to you on this. I had noted the slow down when testing the HOF mod but I also got it when running without the mod. I also couldn't regenerate maps. I finally reinstall CIV4 (v1.61) and it was back to its normal quick self. Then when I changed the ini file settings to turn all the logging on (help me when working on my mods), the game slowed down again. Duh - of course logging slows the game down. I will send a note to myself to remove logging when I want to play a game.

Methos said:
I'm having trouble downloading games from the HoF to examine. I've attempted several times with different players and continue getting this message...

I have both version .001 and .003 on my computer.
That's not something I've seen Methos. That error doesn't really sound like a mod problem, more something to do with your gfx card and Civ4. How close is your setup to the min specs? And could you give me an example HOF game entry no. for me to try and make sure?

ruff_hi said:
Sorry I took so long getting back to you on this. I had noted the slow down when testing the HOF mod but I also got it when running without the mod. I also couldn't regenerate maps. I finally reinstall CIV4 (v1.61) and it was back to its normal quick self. Then when I changed the ini file settings to turn all the logging on (help me when working on my mods), the game slowed down again. Duh - of course logging slows the game down. I will send a note to myself to remove logging when I want to play a game.
Ah, logging, yes that would make sense. Note that the regenerate map options works with logging turned on, but is a lot slower. Since there is no feedback until the regeneration is complete it looks like the game has locked up, but leave it long enough and it will eventually get there. It could well be in the order of 100 times slower though, from what I remember last time I did that.

Dianthus said:
Ah, logging, yes that would make sense. Note that the regenerate map options works with logging turned on, but is a lot slower. Since there is no feedback until the regeneration is complete it looks like the game has locked up, but leave it long enough and it will eventually get there. It could well be in the order of 100 times slower though, from what I remember last time I did that.
I have found that if you turn off McAfee VirusScan it goes back to normal speed with logging turned on. (I lockdown the computer first but that isn't really necessary for the speed up. ;) )

Moderator Action: I have moved this post and subsequent discussions abou the spoiler potential, or not, of the HOF mod here from the C-IV GOTM forum., as it is specific to the HOF Mod

In my personal opinion all mods that provide player with more information then avalible by default should be pronhibited. That include Hof mod in my opinion.

Mutineer said:
In my personal opinion all mods that provide player with more information then avalible by default should be pronhibited. That include Hof mod in my opinion.
I agree completely. As far as I know the HOF mod doesn't give more information than is available by default. It just collects together information that is available elsewhere within Civ. If the HOF mod is presenting any information that isn't available by default then we would like to know about it!

Hof Mod information useally not avalible to players:

1) Foreigth adviser provide information about all tech some civ have/can research.
This is notmally not avalible, as standart foreigth adviser will only show tech you have prerequisites and will not inform you about tech AI has prerequisites for, but you can not see because you do not have prerequisetes for them.

2) Foreign adviser provide numerical relationship information, giving on glance ability to see at every moment who is whom worst enemy.
This information is not avalible at all time to normal player, as AI migth or might not inform of there worst enemy on each turn.

This are allredy big advantages HOF mod give, opposite to standart gameplay.

So, that would be my reason to BANISH HOF mod from all competitive gameplay.

Mutineer said:
1) Foreigth adviser provide information about all tech some civ have/can research.
This is notmally not avalible, as standart foreigth adviser will only show tech you have prerequisites and will not inform you about tech AI has prerequisites for, but you can not see because you do not have prerequisetes for them.
I'm pretty certain that it doesn't show anything not readily deduced from the techs visible on the trade screen. I'll look into it to make sure. If you could provide an example that would save me some work... :mischief:.

Mutineer said:
2) Foreign adviser provide numerical relationship information, giving on glance ability to see at every moment who is whom worst enemy.
This information is not avalible at all time to normal player, as AI migth or might not inform of there worst enemy on each turn.
That information is available in the original foreign advisor on the relations page. Just click on a leader and hover over another. By default the value is 0:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom