HOF Questions and Answers Thread

Meh. Having problems since I got my new laptop/Windows7. I'm not versed on all this Windows7 file permission crap...which is very annoying. Anyway, here is the issue.

This only happens on Vanilla/Warlords once I install the HoF mods and follow step 2 on the 'vista/windows7 fixes'. I followed step 1 of 'vista/windos7 fixes' on the main 'Firaxis' directory containing vanilla/warlords/BTS. When I tried to run the applications at that point, I got a message about admin access needed or something...so I followed step 2 on the Vista/Windows7 fixes page. I found the Civ4 Vanilla/Warlords/BTS application files in the correct directories and marked them to run in compatibility mode for XP SP3? (I think is was SP3, not SP2) and marked the privilege level 'run this program as an administrator'...just like the picture on the directions. :lol: I like pictures.

Then when I try to run Vanilla or Warlords by clicking on the icon (with correct CD inserted in my DVD drive), it pops up a window with 'user account control' and asks if want to allow the program to make changes to the computer. I click yes. It goes out to the DVD drive. The 'loading' initial screen comes up on my comp and the DVD drive whirls for a few seconds. Then I get the message "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart the application". It can't find the necessary file, I guess? It worked just fine before I installed the HoF mods, so I know it is not a faulty CD.

This issue does NOT happen on BTS. BTS doesn't need to go out to the DVD and it works just fine including the BUFFY mod. It does still pop up the initial 'user account control' window and ask if I want to allow the program to make changes...but no problems loading the application, BUFFY mod, and playing the game.

Thanks for your help. Let me know what other info I can provide.

cas

Meh. Having problems since I got my new laptop/Windows7. I'm not versed on all this Windows7 file permission crap...which is very annoying. Anyway, here is the issue.

This only happens on Vanilla/Warlords once I install the HoF mods and follow step 2 on the 'vista/windows7 fixes'. I followed step 1 of 'vista/windos7 fixes' on the main 'Firaxis' directory containing vanilla/warlords/BTS. When I tried to run the applications at that point, I got a message about admin access needed or something...so I followed step 2 on the Vista/Windows7 fixes page. I found the Civ4 Vanilla/Warlords/BTS application files in the correct directories and marked them to run in compatibility mode for XP SP3? (I think is was SP3, not SP2) and marked the privilege level 'run this program as an administrator'...just like the picture on the directions. :lol: I like pictures.

Then when I try to run Vanilla or Warlords by clicking on the icon (with correct CD inserted in my DVD drive), it pops up a window with 'user account control' and asks if want to allow the program to make changes to the computer. I click yes. It goes out to the DVD drive. The 'loading' initial screen comes up on my comp and the DVD drive whirls for a few seconds. Then I get the message "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart the application". It can't find the necessary file, I guess? It worked just fine before I installed the HoF mods, so I know it is not a faulty CD.

This issue does NOT happen on BTS. BTS doesn't need to go out to the DVD and it works just fine including the BUFFY mod. It does still pop up the initial 'user account control' window and ask if I want to allow the program to make changes...but no problems loading the application, BUFFY mod, and playing the game.

Thanks for your help. Let me know what other info I can provide.

cas
I don't what is going on with that. The HOF mod doesn't come into play until much later. I don't see how changing the permission or compatability mode should mess with anything. You can try undoing the exe changes and see if it works that way. Are you sure you have the right cd in? IIRC, the labels are backwards on the original vanilla discs.

I don't what is going on with that. The HOF mod doesn't come into play until much later. I don't see how changing the permission or compatability mode should mess with anything. You can try undoing the exe changes and see if it works that way. Are you sure you have the right cd in? IIRC, the labels are backwards on the original vanilla discs.

Ya, it's the screwy permissions thing in the 'vista/windows7 fixes' somehow messing it up. Not the mod itself.

Yes, I'm sure I have the correct disks in the DVD on each case. And I'm sure they worked before changing the permissions...because in both cases I ran Civ4 vanilla and warlords just fine right before loading the HoF mod and changing the permissions. Once I followed step2 of the 'vista/windows7 fixes' on the application files, the comp acts as if it can't find the necessary file on the disks.

I'm not technical. I'm not sure what other detail I can give. If I don't follow steps 1 & 2 for 'vista/windows7 fixes' I can't use the HoF mod on vanilla/warlords due to the permissions settings. If I follow steps 1&2, the game doesn't load once it tries to go out to the DVD.

:sad:

Maybe I should post this on the technical support forum instead. I thought since someone came up with those vista/windows7 fixes for the HoF mod page, maybe I'd have luck here.

cas

I am thinking that maybe the compatabilty mode might be interfering with the application's ability to use/see the cd-rom drive. Try it without the compatability mode set to XP. That is not really necessary for the HOF Mod. It just helps out with stability on Vista. Win7 may be better.

Hoorah. Unchecked the compatibility mode set to XP SP3 and it works. Not sure if I'll run into any stability issues, but at least I can play Vanilla/Warlords GOTM again. :)

Thanks for your help!

cas

So, if I'd like to complete a "Space Race" game, as opposed to the "Space Colony," I'll have to break out Warlords or Vanilla, correct?

I have a question I hope can get answered here. I have NEVER been able to get "Map Finder" to work properly. Is there a "user manual" or guide somewhere that explains exactly how to use it?

I have a question I hope can get answered here. I have NEVER been able to get "Map Finder" to work properly. Is there a "user manual" or guide somewhere that explains exactly how to use it?

Have you looked here?

What has been the problem with it not working? Main issue is usually that the in-game directory (as in step 4 of the install here) is not the actual directory where mapfinder is installed.

Have you looked here?

What has been the problem with it not working? Main issue is usually that the in-game directory (as in step 4 of the install here) is not the actual directory where mapfinder is installed.

Thanks so far....it seems to be installed properly now, I can build a group of rules!

"Alt+M" however from in game does NOT bring up Map Finder, it gives me the ability to set a reminder message a chosen number of turns into the future (see screenshot), which is cool, and previously unknown to me, but not the Map Finder. Is there some other setting that I need to change?

"Alt+M" however from in game does NOT bring up Map Finder, it gives me the ability to set a reminder message a chosen number of turns into the future (see screenshot), which is cool, and previously unknown to me, but not the Map Finder. Is there some other setting that I need to change?

It changed with BUFFY to be "Clt-Alt-G" to turn on and "Sft-Clt-Alt-G" to turn off.

Sweet! That is much better. Now for a few more total newbie questions. How do specify which "rule" the game uses when generating saves. My first try, the game generated 4-5 saves before I hit cancel, but only saved 1 of them. I'm sure I just missed something that tells to save all. :( Help Please!

Sweet! That is much better. Now for a few more total newbie questions. How do specify which "rule" the game uses when generating saves. My first try, the game generated 4-5 saves before I hit cancel, but only saved 1 of them. I'm sure I just missed something that tells to save all. :( Help Please!
For a map to be saved, all the rules in at least one of your groups have to be true. Post you rules file if you aren't sure. Good luck.

Try a simple rule file, like one with just one group that specifies 1 or more Food resources within 4 Plots of the Settler. The default of 2 Plots from the Settler is OK too, but that means maps with Food only 3 or more Plots from the Settler will be ignored. Using a simple rule file like this will increase you confidence that MF is working ok and it is simple enough that you can watch MF working and verify on the fly that it is saving the correct maps. (Later, when you are happy with the rule file, let MF ran unattended a few hours or overnight as desired.)

If you can describe exactly what kind of Maps you want to save, players following this thread can help you construct a rule file that's at least somewhat close to what you want. Posting your current rule file as Denniz suggested is a good idea too; someone might see something in it you may not want; A MF rule file can be tricky to understand.

Sun Tzu Wu

Thanks for the help! That explains everything perfectly. My current use was to try and create a random start that would be similar to the upcoming SGOTM with Napoleon. I tried a number of map regens without mapfinder using a "big and small" script but it would not put me on the islands it seemed. This worked very well actually to end up with a similar start.

I have a EQM points question.

AFAIK, if no game is a legit EQM victory any date would score 100 EQM points right?
that means if no one managed a non inca ancient start and I get a win, it's worth 100.
But what if I manage a non ancient start win?
Will it score 100 EQM for the rock of ages?

AFAIK, if no game is a legit EQM victory any date would score 100 EQM points right?
that means if no one managed a non inca ancient start and I get a win, it's worth 100.

I would expect that a non-Incan, non-Ancient start in a table with only Incan games would get 100 EQM for the Era the Game was started in and thus get 100 EQM for Rock of Ages.

Did you observe something different than this?

Sun Tzu Wu

A non-ancient start will get 100 EQM if it is the fastest finish, including other non-ancient starts. So even though there might be no valid EQM game in that table, you won't necissarily get 100.

A non-ancient start will get 100 EQM if it is the fastest finish, including other non-ancient starts. So even though there might be no valid EQM game in that table, you won't necissarily get 100.

Thanks for the answer. If I read well, different eras don't matter if my game is non ancient.
Just to be sure I understand it correctly, here is the situation.
I played a renaissance start on a table where the only entry was a modern start.
I wasn't able to beat the date, so I guess I'll be facing the dreaded "almost empty" table EQM points bleeding, even with a phantom date.

Top Bottom