Homonym abuse should be a crime

I suppose you love that wonderful sentence "Buffalo buffalo, Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo?"

Homonyms don't bug me but messing phrasing does like when people say I could care less instead of I couldn't care less.
I've always thought you might be sarcastic when you say that, like "I could care less .." meaning like you care very little, but you're sort of recognizing it's physically possible you could care even less, sort of like you're approaching your theoretical point of not being able to care any less? Sort of like if you say "I've seen worse," you're still saying it's pretty bad, right?

Oh, and how do you all feel about the Oxford comma?

call me a lunatic, but those different shi sounds are extremely distinctive and I could probably tell this apart if I knew any chinese

I think the, like, entire concept of homonyms isn't super-applicable to tonal languages.

From what I hear a lot of people "loose" wars. I prefer tighter control of units myself.

I'm not the 1st or even 2nd one to put this one in this thread but FFS if you frequent game forums this is easily the most common homonym abuse mistake I notice by a wide margin.

Things like there/their/they're trail quite far behind.

Drat! It grinds my gears that it took me so long to come up with what should have been my instant response to the thread:

Hey Tim, would you make it a capitol offense?

None of you other clowns beat me to it, though, so there's that.

Last edited:
That was not a Praguematic joke to make...

I thought of that joke all by myself years ago now, and I'm still quite proud of how stupid it is.

It may be stupid enough to be proud of, or it may not...we should take a pole.

That's not an apostrophe, that's an accent.

yeah, I know, my bad :) I couldn't even come up with a single french word that uses an accent, actually, which is why I just wrote "frénch" :lol:

Top Bottom