How do get the years to change normally in my custom map?

cavydude

Chieftain
I recently made a custom map in civ V, and started it in the future era, specifically in the year 2000 A.D. Unfortunately, when I was testing it, the year changed to 2040 in just one turn. Is there any way to make it follow the normal progression, (ie 2000, 2001, 2002, etc.) or am I just going to have to ignore this?:confused:

Moderator Action: Moved to C&C.

In the GameSpeeds file are a series of entries defining the number of months that pass on each turn. Each game speed has 7-8 entries in this table, and they're processed sequentially; so, on Standard it might say that the first 65 turns pass at 480 months (40 years) per turn, then the next 75 pass at 240 months per turn, and so on. If you add up the seven entries for Standard, you get 500 turns; that's the maximum number of turns you can play before the game ends in a Time victory.

That 500 value is also used to determine what year you start in when you select a different era in the advanced setup menu; in the Eras table, each Era has a value <StartPercent> that specifies what turn number that era starts on if you're doing a late-era start. So if Industrial starts have StartPercent=50, then it'll start you on turn 250, whatever year that corresponds to from the GameSpeeds table. (Again, this assumes Standard speed, which caps at 500 turns; Quick caps at 350, so that same StartPercent=50 would start you on turn 175.)

So in your scenario you changed the start year from -4000 to +2000, but you didn't adjust any of the rest, so it's still going to start you at 40 years per turn for the first hundred or so turns, then drop to 20 years per turn, and so on. If you want a different progression, then you just need to adjust all 29 of the entries in the gamespeeds-month correlation table. (Or since you're doing a scenario, delete all 29 and then add four of your own, one per game speed.)

Alternatively, you could leave the gamespeed progressions unchanged and simply try to start your scenario on turn 400 or something. That'd put you in the standard game's time progression, but it'd cap your scenario at 100 turns.

In the GameSpeeds file are a series of entries defining the number of months that pass on each turn. Each game speed has 7-8 entries in this table, and they're processed sequentially; so, on Standard it might say that the first 65 turns pass at 480 months (40 years) per turn, then the next 75 pass at 240 months per turn, and so on. If you add up the seven entries for Standard, you get 500 turns; that's the maximum number of turns you can play before the game ends in a Time victory.

That 500 value is also used to determine what year you start in when you select a different era in the advanced setup menu; in the Eras table, each Era has a value <StartPercent> that specifies what turn number that era starts on if you're doing a late-era start. So if Industrial starts have StartPercent=50, then it'll start you on turn 250, whatever year that corresponds to from the GameSpeeds table. (Again, this assumes Standard speed, which caps at 500 turns; Quick caps at 350, so that same StartPercent=50 would start you on turn 175.)

So in your scenario you changed the start year from -4000 to +2000, but you didn't adjust any of the rest, so it's still going to start you at 40 years per turn for the first hundred or so turns, then drop to 20 years per turn, and so on. If you want a different progression, then you just need to adjust all 29 of the entries in the gamespeeds-month correlation table. (Or since you're doing a scenario, delete all 29 and then add four of your own, one per game speed.)

Alternatively, you could leave the gamespeed progressions unchanged and simply try to start your scenario on turn 400 or something. That'd put you in the standard game's time progression, but it'd cap your scenario at 100 turns.

So... does this mean I have to build a mod around my map just to change that?

So... does this mean I have to build a mod around my map just to change that?

Yes, because a map is just a map and doesn't have a starting year or anything. A scenario, what you're basically trying to do, is a map plus a mod. So however you changed the starting year, you need to do something similar to the game speeds.

I tried to put the map in a mod that changes the game speeds. I can play the map now, but the years still don't work. Here's what I have in the file:

Spoiler :
<GameData>
<GameSpeed_Turns>
<update>
<set MonthIncrement="1"/>
<where GameSpeedType="GAMESPEED_MARATHON"/>
</update>
<update>
<where GameSpeedType="GAMESPEED_EPIC"/>
</update>
<update>
<where GameSpeedType="GAMESPEED_STANDARD"/>
</update>
<update>
<where GameSpeedType="GAMESPEED_QUICK"/>
</update>
</GameSpeed_Turns>
</GameData>

I tried to put the map in a mod that changes the game speeds. I can play the map now, but the years still don't work. Here's what I have in the file:

Spoiler :
<GameData>
<GameSpeed_Turns>
<update>
<where GameSpeedType="GAMESPEED_MARATHON"/>
</update>
<update>
<where GameSpeedType="GAMESPEED_EPIC"/>
</update>
<update>