How do you name your cities?

cobbaut

Warlord
I wonder how others name their cities.

Usually I leave the capital as it is named, but newly founded cities start with the resources in their name. For example a city with Stone and Horse will be named StoneHorse (or HorseStone). This allows me to easily identify the city when I see its name somewhere.

In some games I name my first city like my hometown (Antwerp) and then name the next cities on par with their geographical location (so a city south of the capital will be named like a real city in my real south).

Starting in the classical era the city names get prefixes according to their specialization (Sci-StoneHorse for a science focus, or Mil-Arc-StoneHorse if its main focus is building Military-Archers) etc.

What do you do?

I leave default names.

As for space colonies I name them accordingly to location#Number, like Mars10 or Moon1

I usually keep them their native names unless they are near Land Marks or interesting features, for example I'll name something near Barringer Crater "Heaven's Fall" or if I build a wonder that is a "City" or "Region" I may rename it after that after it is built, El Dorado, Petra, Nazca ETC. Once in a great while I'll name them after a High level General or the Prophet that founded my religion as well.

Although when I was playing as Stalin I may name cities near resources such as Salt "Salt Mine" or things like Lumber, Coal, Iron and such Gulag 1, Gulag 2, Gulag 3 etc because I am silly.

Last edited:
I mostly play the way that I never found any cities to begin with (but only capture them), and I also don't change their names to show who I took them from (though there's an additional tag for that).
But I do recall once playing in a silly pattern like "City 1", "City 2", lol.
Or just letting the game name them automatically.
I think I've never played in a way to actually bother with realistic names for cities - either literally realistic, or styled-after-a-pattern (beyond "City #").

Thats Depends much off the civ and my pacience whereve i name my city is something about the region being setle , Always on the native language off the civ, when a play Alexander i Always name the capital Alexandria, the second city Bucefalus, and all other Alexandria-near recurse in greek, if for some reason all near rercurses already have city names will become Bucefalus-near recurse in greek

I start alphabetically ( with A obviously ) using the names of the local towns and villages in the County where I live..

In my current game I have just used M in trying to stop Saladin and Mansa Musa from encroaching into territory which I consider my own. The trouble is the amount of gold being used tio support all my cities.

I just use the default names. A label is a label is a label after all.

Somehow I can locate StoneHorse and IronTin much faster than Dascylum, Ghulaman, Dakyanus or Charsadda when having 30+ cities.
Depends on the size of your map.
If it's the huge Earth one, and you are all over several continents - then not necessarily.
Also, isn't there a SEARCH CITY function somewhere, or am I thinking of some other game?

I think I made the largest possible map about 20% larger...
I didn't mean Huge as a Size Name, lol.
My mistake.
The point was that when your own civilization spans from Alaska to New Zealand via Europe, there's a chance you have more cities than you can efficiently track through IronHorse-ing.

there's a chance you have more cities than you can efficiently track through IronHorse-ing.
Cities in a continent to my West, will get named WestStoneApple for example, or ColdMushroom for a Southern continent. So far it works for me. Though I have never surpassed 100 cities, yet.

Somehow I can locate StoneHorse and IronTin much faster than Dascylum, Ghulaman, Dakyanus or Charsadda when having 30+ cities.
Don't you go through each and every city each and every turn anyway? That helps me remember well enough.

Don't you go through each and every city each and every turn anyway? That helps me remember well enough.
No no no never.
I go to cities to create a build queue (around 8 items on average) and open the Domestic Advisor every ten or twenty rounds.

Cities in a continent to my West, will get named WestStoneApple for example, or ColdMushroom for a Southern continent. So far it works for me. Though I have never surpassed 100 cities, yet.
Ah, that's better.
Also, micromanaging is THE reason that I stopped playing multi-city by actually building anything in them beyond Culture/Research and/or Wonders.
It's just way too annoying to CLICK all those dozens of buildings in a NEW (aka CLEAN) city, when you're in Medieval, lol.
And I still didn't learn how to efficiently use queue LISTS - probably because most cities still have unique buildings that CAN'T be "queue listed" efficiently.
Thus, I limit my micromanaged cities to something like 10 or so, and the rest are just placeholders for resources or research (with some random localized Wonders, usually Cultures).

No no no never.
I go to cities to create a build queue (around 8 items on average) and open the Domestic Advisor every ten or twenty rounds.
But than how can you be sure every city is doing the optimal thing every turn? How can you be sure your city is actually building the optimal thing for the optimal situation?

Next thing you'll tell me you use automation as well. Yuck!

Micromanagement is what makes this game fun!

But than how can you be sure every city is doing the optimal thing every turn? How can you be sure your city is actually building the optimal thing for the optimal situation?

Next thing you'll tell me you use automation as well. Yuck!

Micromanagement is what makes this game fun!
Fun with 10 cities.
Tedious with 20 cities.
Horrible with 30 cities.
Unplayable with 50 cities.
Unless you don't exactly micromanage it to the last available building every turn - but then what are you talking about instead?

Fun with 10 cities.
Tedious with 20 cities.
Horrible with 30 cities.
Unplayable with 50 cities.
Unless you don't exactly micromanage it to the last available building every turn - but then what are you talking about instead?
Quick and easy at 10. Fun at 20. Still fun at 30.
At 50 you have basically won the game unless you are deliberately going for conquest or domination anyway so you needn't bother. But it's still not a problem.

Quick and easy at 10. Fun at 20. Still fun at 30.
At 50 you have basically won the game unless you are deliberately going for conquest or domination anyway so you needn't bother. But it's still not a problem.
Or going for the entire Tech Tree, on a Space map, ya know. LOL!

Top Bottom