How does an AI from another continent know I'm a warmonger?

Aloha

Richard the Catheart
I'm not sure if anyone had already asked the similar question. But anyway, here is the story.
A few days ago I've finished a hemisphere map as Germany. I started at west hemisphere. I backstabed Mr. Babylon in classical era and then wiped him out. Then in renaissance era, I saw Alex's caravel sailing toward me, who, of course, was from another continent, and he was totally not happy about me for he knew I had backstabed someone. :confused: I mean how did he know that I eliminated a civ that he'd never met?

AI's crazy diplomacy strikes again :) There are so many unlogical issues with it, this is just one of them.

Everything you do affects all civilizations, even if you haven't met them.

I've asked myself this question many times, and I must say that at first I would have agreed with you. But then I realized that while it might seem plausible to keep another player in the dark about your early transgressions against another Civ, it is also true that the Ottomans didn't fool anyone by re-naming Constantinople to Istanbul. In other words, Alexander must have payed attention to his history lessons.

I suppose it could be more "logical" to somehow program the AI to be ignorant of events in the past until they've researched Archaeology. However, this would be a reverse-handicap of sorts, since an informed human player would be able to recognize that Tenochtitlan or Cuzco are not the name of original Spanish cities.

I have always thought about it this way.
If you were living your life happy in your civilization and then a warmongering force comes along and wiped out your father and most of the male population who gave their lives to defend their homeland and ultimately lost, when the next civilization comes by and asks around, do you think that you would have a favorable opinion of your new oppressors or do you think that word would get out about the backstabbing?
I always viewed it as folklore and history being passed by mouth and staying with the locals is what ultimately told people about the true history of the continent.

It's weird though that the memory never fades, or at least it takes a prohibitively long time. You'd think the US would be the world's pariah #1 for breaking deals and massacring the Indians if the world worked like Civ V... Although to be fair I have seen at least one modern individual from the Middle East rage on about how the Mongols wreaked havoc in his ancestral lands.

Actually, I have not experienced this behavior. I will have all the AI's on my hemisphere in Guarded mode, but when I discover new civs on the other they are all Friendly. I have to not backstab anyone hard, though (I found that if you go back on your word too much, even the city-states will lower influence).

Yes, I normally find that as long as no contact has been established, they will not now. I have a recent game where I was Spain, and I eliminated both Alexander, Washington and Maria Theresa on my own continent during medieval and early renaissance. Then I made contact to neighboring continenet, and they were all well and good - only negative modifiers was because I build wonders that they coveted.

How do they know? You mean in the sense of verisimilitude?

They asked around. They checked you out. Such is the business of nations. Civ's aren't surrounded by impermeable iron curtains that prevent anyone from learning anything about them. Even the actual iron curtain wasn't that effective.

The only thing I can think about that is outright whacky is that "broke your promise to shift troops away" thing and attacking city-states that no one else have met yet. That last one will get you a warmonger penalty pretty quick :crazyeye:

Basically, your citizens brag about having wiped out civs when you first meet.

I have a question that relates to Warmonger label (This has all happened in the first 60-80 turns). A little background to set the stage.

Currently playing Emperor, Continents, Standard size and randomly rolled Kame as my Civ. On my Continent there is Austria, Babylon and China. All within 2 turns I stole a worker from a CS as well as had to DoW Babylon and block him as his scout was going to steal a barb camp I had cleared as a quest to ally up with another CS. It all happened quick and I didn't even think that it might label me as a Warmonger. Baby and China denounced me and China went Hostile. Austria didn't seem to mind as much even though she still considers me a warmonger.

A few turns later Austria actually kills off the CS I stole the worker from and puppeted it :crazyeye: Guess she is taking a different stance on City States this game lol. Then she (Austria) asks me to declare war on China. I accept and say give me 10 turns so I can get my CBs ready. I'm hoping this helps our relations. I have the whole SW part of the continent to myself (tons of room to expand) with only China "somewhat" close. I could easily set up 5 large cities without China's land but I figure hey if I take Beijing I'll have the whole southern continent to myself (maybe I should have gone liberty instead of tradition... lol).

I am planning a Science victory as 4 of my cities will grow like weeds and they are all next to mountains (4 observatories). Once I take Beijing I could easily add another 1 or 2 more cities that would have observatories.

Here is my question. Am I screwed for research agreements? The one good thing is Japan, Nappy and Pacal on the other continent and don't seem to care too much about my warmongering but wonder if that will change once I take Beijing. India is on the other continent too and he doesn't like me as much.

I won't wipe China out as she still has 1 more city. After that I'm done Waring so I can build my empire.

Is there a way to get rid of the Warmongering label? China will hate me forever (she hates me every game :D ) but I'm wondering if Baby will come around and eventually be able to do some research agreements? Austria seems to like me but still has me labeled as a warmonger (but it is just a faint red, not a bright red like Baby).

Sorry for the long post but had to paint the picture.

Thanks in advance

VP

I have a question that relates to Warmonger label (This has all happened in the first 60-80 turns). A little background to set the stage.

Currently playing Emperor, Continents, Standard size and randomly rolled Kame as my Civ. On my Continent there is Austria, Babylon and China. All within 2 turns I stole a worker from a CS as well as had to DoW Babylon and block him as his scout was going to steal a barb camp I had cleared as a quest to ally up with another CS. It all happened quick and I didn't even think that it might label me as a Warmonger. Baby and China denounced me and China went Hostile. Austria didn't seem to mind as much even though she still considers me a warmonger.

A few turns later Austria actually kills off the CS I stole the worker from and puppeted it :crazyeye: Guess she is taking a different stance on City States this game lol. Then she (Austria) asks me to declare war on China. I accept and say give me 10 turns so I can get my CBs ready. I'm hoping this helps our relations. I have the whole SW part of the continent to myself (tons of room to expand) with only China "somewhat" close. I could easily set up 5 large cities without China's land but I figure hey if I take Beijing I'll have the whole southern continent to myself (maybe I should have gone liberty instead of tradition... lol).

I am planning a Science victory as 4 of my cities will grow like weeds and they are all next to mountains (4 observatories). Once I take Beijing I could easily add another 1 or 2 more cities that would have observatories.

Here is my question. Am I screwed for research agreements? The one good thing is Japan, Nappy and Pacal on the other continent and don't seem to care too much about my warmongering but wonder if that will change once I take Beijing. India is on the other continent too and he doesn't like me as much.

I won't wipe China out as she still has 1 more city. After that I'm done Waring so I can build my empire.

Is there a way to get rid of the Warmongering label? China will hate me forever (she hates me every game :D ) but I'm wondering if Baby will come around and eventually be able to do some research agreements? Austria seems to like me but still has me labeled as a warmonger (but it is just a faint red, not a bright red like Baby).

Sorry for the long post but had to paint the picture.

Thanks in advance

VP

Fighting a common foe is a positive factor. It can however be negated if both of you take (& keep) nearby Chinese cities by acquiring close borders and land envy.

It seems that the trade penalties for some of these negative modifiers do fade over time, but the label appears to stay on the screen. (I'm not sure if war mongler is one of the ones that fades or not)

As to RAs: They aren't needed nearly as much in G&K than vanilla.

And Austria isn't the only G&K AI ignoring its UA entirely. The Dutch one also ignores its UA.

If the third Civ hasn't met you or the Civ you wiped out, you'll be fine. No warmonger penalty. If the third Civ has met you or the Civ you wipe out, penalties abound. I believe the same concept applies to city states. If you and the wipe out Civ have met a city state that survives, the other Civs will know about your bad deeds.

I've wiped out whole continents with the huns and one one from the other side of the world was any the wise.

Think of it this way - your reputation precedes you.

I'm not sure if anyone had already asked the similar question. But anyway, here is the story.
A few days ago I've finished a hemisphere map as Germany. I started at west hemisphere. I backstabed Mr. Babylon in classical era and then wiped him out. Then in renaissance era, I saw Alex's caravel sailing toward me, who, of course, was from another continent, and he was totally not happy about me for he knew I had backstabed someone. :confused: I mean how did he know that I eliminated a civ that he'd never met?

I know if a civ is a warmonger by looking at city names.

They know it like you gonna know that an AI civ destroyed another one on the other continent. Remember...the AI acts like a human ;)

But i would like the opposite too :)

Top Bottom